Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

How dirty should primary oil be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:44 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Ok I'll explain further. Yes that is normal, it can and will turn black in as early as 500-1000 miles especially in heavy city traffic, in heavy scooter applications such as a trike, or in racing applications. Between clutch material, and heat, it will discolor very quickly. I know this because my bikes are often used to teach maintenance lessons to my Soldiers, so I do my maintenance on schedule as well as at completely random times, sometimes at very low mileage, comparing the differences of the various HD lines. Yes I go through some extra oil, and gaskets, but every time I move, I leave capable wrenches in my wake, and that is an acceptable cost for me.
Skip-pimp...thanks for the good explanation. That makes sense.

Thanks for your role with the soldiers.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:03 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default My experience

I just changed my primary oil at 2974 miles, and the oil was dark and the drain plug magnet has sludge on it. I use HD formula +1 oil in it, and I believe it's normal. I would get nervous if I found metal shavings on it.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:16 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,251 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
There is no reason to suspect the dealer did not change the primary lube.

It gets dirty.

Does the owners manual say to change the primary lube every 5k on the Tri Glide?
, the primary oil always gets dirty from the simple fact that the clutch plates wear due to friction during the engagement process. Fine particles of the clutch plates get into the oil and discolor it, a completely normal process; nothing to worry about.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:12 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I have my primary open to install a SE Clutch Diaphram Spring. I have 3.5K miles since my last dealer service where they were supposed to have changed out the primary with Formula+. I guess that since the primary is isolated from combustion, I though the old would be relatively clean, after just 3.5K miles. But, per the picture below, it is an ugly shade of black. Not that I have anything against black....I just didn'to expect it to be this black.

So, experts of things oil, what says you? Does my Formula+ look normal for 3.5K miles?
====================================

HD recs 10k oil change for prim case and thats way too long IMHO.

Any HD primary i have changed oil in has looked pretty dirty at 3k-5k miles with quite a lot of contamination & crap built up on drain plug and comming out in the oil itself too ,but didnt look quite as dark/bad as your prim case oil.

But being a trike maybe prim gets/hotter due to diff airflow and or maybe more wt for a trike both of which can overload/stress the oil more etc vs a std bike so max i will go on prim oil is 5k miles .

Since its easy and relatively cheap to change prim case oil that seems to get dirty /contaminate pretty easy i generally change it when the bikes due for a motor oil & filter change which i generally do at approx 3,500-4k miles.

Same goes for the washable SE stage-1 air filter in my bike that i also clean/srv'c with doing a motor oil & filter change.

HD rec's 20k mile oil change for trans but max i will go there is 10k miles or 1yr,which ever comes 1st.

HD also rec's 50k fork oil change,changed fork oil 1st time at approx 12k miles putting in stock rec fork oil and it was filthy black that smelled like a dead fish in the sun on a 90 deg so flushed forks before refilling with new fork oil.

Well its now 5k miles later/18k miles and i decided to change fork oil again to install SE hvy fork oil to reduce fork dive when braking and to also improve handling a bit too.

Well the fork oil was very dirty again after only 5k miles when i installed the SE hvy for oil so since its so easy to do i am going to do it @ 5k miles or 1x yrly whichever comes 1st.

Keeping fresh cleaner oil in the forks should significantly extend the srvc life of all components in the forks esp the fork seals .

Thats because ensusing theres always cleaner oil in the forks the seals arent getting ground to death anymore by fork oil that's dirty & heavily contaminated with dirt scratching ,tearing & wearing the sealing lip on the fork seals causing them to fail/leak prematurely.

Same reasoning is why i stepped up all HD's rec's for oil change maint sch'd rec's on the bike, engine oil & filter change from 5k to 3,500-4k miles,prim case from 10k miles to 5k miles max or bit earlier with motor oil change, trans from 20k miles to 10k miles or 1 yr, & fork oil from a crazy 50k miles to 5k max too.

Theory/reasoning for doing that is simple,when all the above mechanical items are exposed to/bathed in cleaner fresher oil (having less dirt contam in it) all the time using my significantly earlier oil change maint schd rec's for all oil related mech items on the bike that should extend the srv'c life of all those mech items vs changing oil much later at 2x-3x more miles like HD rec's where those mehcnical parts are exposed to & or are lubed by oil that has more dirt & wear related particles in it causing more premature wear/gailling/gouging/scratching etc between all moving parts that are being lubed by the oil with 2x more miles on it also having a lot more dirt & or wear type particles & contam in it too.

BTW,i run Spectro oil in the motor,prim & trans that are all specifically designed & formulated for large disp HD V-Twins .

Spectro is a premier motorcycle oil blender/mfg that has earned a well deserved good rep in the motorcycle race scene since i believe is the late 50's to date.

Happy Motoring!

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 04-17-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:11 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Skip-pimp...thanks for the good explanation. That makes sense.

Thanks for your role with the soldiers.
No worries man, teaching and mentoring them on helicopters during the day, just makes sense to continue to bikes after work... Glad I could clarify for ya.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We use Red Line fluid in the chain cases on the builds, and services, here.
Seems to stay clean for many miles.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:59 PM
NO4NJNK
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Its hard to tell W/ limited info

That to me is pretty dirty. It would make me wonder if the Harley Dealership even changed it?
it is what it is though. Nothing you can do about it now. But from here on out, if i were you, I would be doing all my own maintenance on my Hog. I Had my 5,000 mi maintenance done by my Harley dealership and it cost me $300 Bucks! Never again.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,627 Likes on 5,180 Posts

Wet clutch , Primary looks nasty in a short time.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Of our three reservoirs I would say the primary oil gets dirty quickest. Bear in mind also that we are each likely to use our clutch in different ways, so there will also be significant differences between us, before we add a heavy trike into the mix. Dirty primary oil is no surprise. Ride on!