Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

How dirty should primary oil be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:10 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,256 Likes on 11,140 Posts
Default How dirty should primary oil be?

I have my primary open to install a SE Clutch Diaphram Spring. I have 3.5K miles since my last dealer service where they were supposed to have changed out the primary with Formula+. I guess that since the primary is isolated from combustion, I though the old would be relatively clean, after just 3.5K miles. But, per the picture below, it is an ugly shade of black. Not that I have anything against black....I just didn'to expect it to be this black.

So, experts of things oil, what says you? Does my Formula+ look normal for 3.5K miles?

Attached Thumbnails How dirty should primary oil be?-image.jpeg  
Old 04-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I've never seen black oil from a Harley primary, usually pretty clean. Might not look so black if it was in a glass jar with light shining through, though. Makes me wonder, did you do the previous oil change yourself, or have a dealer do it - if they did...

Old 04-16-2016, 12:44 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Imold
I've never seen black oil from a Harley primary, usually pretty clean. Might not look so black if it was in a glass jar with light shining through, though. Makes me wonder, did you do the previous oil change yourself, or have a dealer do it - if they did...
yup..always had the dealer do it, and at each 5K service. Yeah...I'm wondering about what else they fast tracked...

Old 04-16-2016, 12:45 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Imold
yup..always had the dealer do it, and at each 5K service. Yeah...I'm wondering about what else they fast tracked...

Oh yeah...and the bike only has 18,000 miles.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:31 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably doesn't need to be said, but a visual gives you no indication of the quality, service life, or "dirtiness" of an oil; unless of course you can see solid contaminants such as metal parts or something. If you suspect something is awry, have an oil analysis done. If you suspect foul play by the dealer, call them out in it. I know not everyone has the same capabilities, but this is one reason I enjoy doing my own work...avoiding shenanigans. No one touches my bike for any type of service I can do.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,484 Likes on 4,605 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
So, experts of things oil, what says you? Does my Formula+ look normal for 3.5K miles?
There is no reason to suspect the dealer did not change the primary lube.

It gets dirty.

Does the owners manual say to change the primary lube every 5k on the Tri Glide?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-16-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:00 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

As the clutch wears the oil gets dirty, it is what it is

Old 04-17-2016, 12:05 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC

Does the owners manual say to change the primary lube every 5k on the Tri Glide?
No, its the same as the other 103 motors. But, it's included in the astronomical price the dealer charges for each 5k. And I'm ok with it being changed at that frequency.

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
As the clutch wears the oil gets dirty, it is what it is
Well that was profound! Thanks I didnt realize that (sarcasm). My question regarded my perception that it seemed ecessively dark for only 3K miles.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 04-17-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:19 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

IMO the oil turns black from heat. It may only take 1K to turn black.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:08 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
No, its the same as the other 103 motors. But, it's included in the astronomical price the dealer charges for each 5k. And I'm ok with it being changed at that frequency.

Well that was profound! Thanks I didnt realize that (sarcasm). My question regarded my perception that it seemed ecessively dark for only 3K miles.
Ok I'll explain further. Yes that is normal, it can and will turn black in as early as 500-1000 miles especially in heavy city traffic, in heavy scooter applications such as a trike, or in racing applications. Between clutch material, and heat, it will discolor very quickly. I know this because my bikes are often used to teach maintenance lessons to my Soldiers, so I do my maintenance on schedule as well as at completely random times, sometimes at very low mileage, comparing the differences of the various HD lines. Yes I go through some extra oil, and gaskets, but every time I move, I leave capable wrenches in my wake, and that is an acceptable cost for me.

Quick Reply: How dirty should primary oil be?