Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

castrol 20w-50 oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:46 AM
drewcifer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default castrol 20w-50 oil

does anyone have any advice on castrol 20w-50 syn. oil

Old 05-19-2007, 01:54 AM
bear95252
Cruiser
Default RE: castrol 20w-50 oil

I have never used it but I can tell you that the only Scientific Study ever done on Synthetic Mororcycle oils was comissioned by AMSOIL and was done by and independant lab. They rated Castrol 16 out of 16. (Dead Last). The study has never been contested by any of the Major Oil Company's. My advice to you would be to read the study and decide for your self what qualities you are looking for in an oil and make your decision based on that. You can download the study at http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf.

Bear
AMSOIL DEALER

Old 05-19-2007, 02:14 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

While I don't buy in to all the Amsoil hype, I would stay with the top rated oils (many results here), Amsoil, Mobile 1, Royal Purple, Redline. At half the price I use Mobile 1 but you have to make your own decision. I ran Castrol dino for years in my cages but I don't think their syn is up to par with the oils listed above.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:03 AM
bear95252
Cruiser

I wouldn't exactly call what AMSOIL says is hype. They are the undisputed leader in Synthetics uncontested.

But then you have Mobil who introduceed the Worlds First Extended Mileage Motor oil good for 15,000 miles or one year, at the Indy 500 a couple of years ago. That wasn't Hype, it was a Bold Face Lie. AMSOIL has had 25,000 1 year drain interval oils for 36 years. Long before Mobil ever started makeing a synthetic.

Don't get me wrong, Mobil makes a terrific oil but ALL the Scientific testing proves that AMSOIL is just a little bit better. I know a Mobil petroleum engineer that will tell you that no one can touch AMSOIL.

Having said all that, I could care less what oil anyone buys for their Harley or whatever. My sole purpose is to present facts and tools, such as the Oil Study, that folks can use to make up their own minds. Their are 12 different ASTM test standards in the Study showing how all the oils fair in the tests. One should pick the ones they put the most value on and make their decision based on that. Some folks like an oil with a high Zinc Content. If I lived back east where my bike sat for 6 months a year, I wouldn't want an oil that failed the rust Standard etc.

If any of you, reading this, believe that AMSOIL made the tests come out in their favor, remember this. ASTM test standards are Fedral Standards, not AMSOIL standards. It also means that ANYONE using that Standard can produce the SAME results. That is also the reason the results are un contested by ANY or the oil companys.

I do not bad mouth anyone's product and, IMHO, feel this forum would be a lot more valuable if everyone stopped doing it and just dealt with facts instead of slamming every product they do not personally use.

This is not aimed at you CHarley. Just something I have wanted to say for a long time.

Bear

Old 05-19-2007, 12:21 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Change your oil and filter frequently and just about any oil will work perfectly fine in your Harley.

It's the bike owners (not the bikes) that fret and argue about the 'best oil', and why anything other than <insert favorite oil> is inferior.

I use Mobil 1 20W50 V-Twin for the most part only because it is available locally, but I've also used Amsoil and other brands. My bikes don't seem to care less about what is put in them, even if it's not the latest undisputed synthetic leader confirmed by the latest independent study.

My old Shovelhead has used nothing but straight 50W since day one, and has never had one oil related problem. But for that matter, in all the years I've been riding I don't know of anyone that has had oil related problems no matter what they used, as long as they performed regular maintenance and kept fresh oil in their bikes.

Just my opinion, but I could care less about these 2,436 Independent Studies and why in their opinion so in so oil is rated 'The Best'.

I don't run 25,000, 15,000, 10,000, or even 5,000 miles between oil and filter changes. Never have and never will. I have always changed oil and filters on my bikes (and my cars and trucks) between 2,500 and 3,000 miles.

Sure, maybe it isn't necessary to change oil that frequently, but it's my choice.Makes me feel good putting in fresh fluids, and the cost isn't going to 'break the bank'..

But anyway, I know a number of people that are running Castrol 20W-50 in their bikes, and none of them have had any oil problems either.

Just my opinion, and nothing personal towards anyone or whatever oil they want to use, but these oil thread and all the fret and worries are something else.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:59 PM
DAWG_6
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run Castrol Syntec 20W50 in my '01 Road King. A tech article from the boys up at Heavy Duty Cycles (Canada) explained the oil questions pretty thoroughly. I run Amsoil in my new '07 EGC....mainly because the Castrol, for some reason, is hard to find for me.

http://www.heavydutycycles.com/

Dig a little in their website, you'll find the tech article on oil.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:09 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

You got the right grade and that is the most important thing to do. Just change it at a reasonable service interval and you will be fine.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:31 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

All of the Motorcycle rated (JASO) synthetic oils are fine........I look for what is least expensive. I found some Redline 20w50 in a closeout bin for $4. So now when my Mobil1Vtwin stash runs out I'll use the Redline.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 PM
rustyred
Novice

seems like some on the forum are here to promote their own agenda,,or brand of oil..,,thats not what this is for ,if you want to preach about about your perfect oil ,,,buy a ad in a cycle mag,,,i wonder if some peoples internet service is paid for by certain oil promoters?????hmmmm.!!!!!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Castrol makes an excellent product. Be aware they make a semi syn AND a full syn. Both will meet API specs. and provide the main benefit of running syn. Heat reduction and resistance. The additive mumbo-jumbo, IMHO, is like the extra buttons and dials on a washing machine. Reassuring BUT practically useless. Measuring benefits in milligrams of zinc is a gimmick , IMHO.

As a Redline user (and Amsoil for years) I am tired of the hype and jive. Viscosity stability, temp. control are the big benes, period! Castrol syn is fine.

EZ

Quick Reply: castrol 20w-50 oil