Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

an opinion oil question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:32 AM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts
Default an opinion oil question

My 2013 103 RK was purchased in New England, after the initial oil change my indy Harley shop recommended 20-60 Dino oil (I've never been a synthetic fan and neither was he) to cool her down a bit. It helped but was still a hot bike.

At his recommendation I did the AC, exhaust, headpipe, cams and lifters and he tuned it on the Dyno. I was pleased with the lowered oil temp and how much better the bike ran especially on those rare 100 degree days in New England.

So here is my oil question, mostly for the guys in warm climates. My bike has been relocated to Myrtle Beach, so I've started a search for a local indy to service my bike. And the few shops I've talked to seem to be of very different opinions on oil..SURPRISE...some say go back to 20-50 Dino and it's too hot for Synthetic others say a 25-65 synthetic would be best.

I'm curious what the guys who ride in a hot climate run. I already have Redline Synthetic in the Tranny.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2017, 11:00 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by bobg03
My 2013 103 RK was purchased in New England, after the initial oil change my indy Harley shop recommended 20-60 Dino oil (I've never been a synthetic fan and neither was he) to cool her down a bit. It helped but was still a hot bike.

At his recommendation I did the AC, exhaust, headpipe, cams and lifters and he tuned it on the Dyno. I was pleased with the lowered oil temp and how much better the bike ran especially on those rare 100 degree days in New England.

So here is my oil question, mostly for the guys in warm climates. My bike has been relocated to Myrtle Beach, so I've started a search for a local indy to service my bike. And the few shops I've talked to seem to be of very different opinions on oil..SURPRISE...some say go back to 20-50 Dino and it's too hot for Synthetic others say a 25-65 synthetic would be best.

I'm curious what the guys who ride in a hot climate run. I already have Redline Synthetic in the Tranny.

Thanks

Your manual says Straight 60 weight is the preferred oil in temps above 80*.

A 20-50 is a 20 weight oil with viscosity modifiers that make it act like 50 weight when it is warmer...problem is that when it gets hot, the viscosity modifiers are damaged and do not work as well.

This is why "multi-weight" oils are not as good for warmer weather on our air cooled HD's, and why HD says a straight weight oil is better in hotter temps.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-08-2017, 12:48 PM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Your manual says Straight 60 weight is the preferred oil in temps above 80*.

A 20-50 is a 20 weight oil with viscosity modifiers that make it act like 50 weight when it is warmer...problem is that when it gets hot, the viscosity modifiers are damaged and do not work as well.

This is why "multi-weight" oils are not as good for warmer weather on our air cooled HD's, and why HD says a straight weight oil is better in hotter temps.
HeyKevin, Happy New Year !
1, Kevin, are you a Lubrication Engineer ?
2, Bob, use your imagination; Dino oil, the molecules are all different sizes, imagine basketballs, softballs, baseballs, tennis *****, golf *****, & many more different sized *****, they are all over the place! Now imagine Synthetic oil, all the molecules are the same size , like BB's from a BB Gun, they are all the same size! That's why Synthetics lube better, last longer, stand up to High Heat. Almost every plane in the sky, runs on Synthetic, because of extreme Heat & Cold!
3, It's a Fact, 50W oil, Heats & Cools faster than 60W, in other words, 60W, retains Heat Longer. Your motor is hotter, your oil cooler works slower& harder to cool thicker oil?
4, Bob, I'd check with the local riders & Indy shops, do what they do! Redline use to be one of the Best, I think they were bought by Royal Purple last year, & I wouldn't put that in my lawnmower! I wish you the Best, hope you're still a Patriots Fan ! Good Luck !

Old 01-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

Does not really matter. Just run what Harley says. 20-50 or even 15-50 synthetic oil. You did not ask but new recommendation for primary and transmission is back to single digit non detergent gear Dino oil . And all the mods did not cool it down. The temperature you see and perceive on a bike depends on ambient temperature, wind and ridding speed.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-08-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:43 PM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

No the mods took it from an average of 280 down to 215 on a hot day. I'm just trying to get an idea what I should use now that its in a warmer climate. I travel a lot for work and I'm gonna be lucky if I can put 3k a year on. So I'm looking for something I can run year round in the warmer climate. I don't know much about synthetics and have received diferent opinions from people down there. Some say syn is great others say its too thin in the heat. I do have an oil temp gauge.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:24 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Does not really matter. Just run what Harley says. 20-50 or even 15-50 synthetic oil. You did not ask but new recommendation for primary and transmission is back to single digit non detergent gear Dino oil . And all the mods did not cool it down. The temperature you see and perceive on a bike depends on ambient temperature, wind and ridding speed.
Incorrect² ... oh boy...

Originally Posted by bobg03
No the mods took it from an average of 280 down to 215 on a hot day. I'm just trying to get an idea what I should use now that its in a warmer climate. I travel a lot for work and I'm gonna be lucky if I can put 3k a year on. So I'm looking for something I can run year round in the warmer climate. I don't know much about synthetics and have received diferent opinions from people down there. Some say syn is great others say its too thin in the heat. I do have an oil temp gauge.
Kevin's post gave you the correct answer. I grew up in Florida riding and I'll be back down permanently later this year. I'll be running Valvoline VR1 SAE 60 summer and VR1 SAE 50 winter months. VR1 SAE 50 is a good safe year round bet for Myrtle Beach

Old 01-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,492 Likes on 4,610 Posts

Originally Posted by boston jim
Almost every plane in the sky, runs on Synthetic, because of extreme Heat & Cold!
Well, no....

Every airplane with a gas turbine engine uses Synthetic oil.

Reciprocating (piston type) engines are a different matter, almost all use conventional oil, either ashless dispersant or straight mineral type.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-13-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:50 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Well, no....

Every airplane with a gas turbine engine uses Synthetic oil.

Reciprocating (piston type) engines are a different matter, almost all use conventional oil, either ashless dispersant or straight mineral type.
Lets keep it apples to apples without bringing in aircraft, as we know aircraft runs majority of its life 99% with constant air speed, no stop & go traffic lights etc. It doesn't come close to any kind of comparison.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:06 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by boston jim
HeyKevin, Happy New Year !
1, Kevin, are you a Lubrication Engineer ?
2, Bob, use your imagination; Dino oil, the molecules are all different sizes, imagine basketballs, softballs, baseballs, tennis *****, golf *****, & many more different sized *****, they are all over the place! Now imagine Synthetic oil, all the molecules are the same size , like BB's from a BB Gun, they are all the same size! That's why Synthetics lube better, last longer, stand up to High Heat. Almost every plane in the sky, runs on Synthetic, because of extreme Heat & Cold!
3, It's a Fact, 50W oil, Heats & Cools faster than 60W, in other words, 60W, retains Heat Longer. Your motor is hotter, your oil cooler works slower& harder to cool thicker oil?
4, Bob, I'd check with the local riders & Indy shops, do what they do! Redline use to be one of the Best, I think they were bought by Royal Purple last year, & I wouldn't put that in my lawnmower! I wish you the Best, hope you're still a Patriots Fan ! Good Luck !
Are you a lubrication engineer?

What evidence can you show to back up your claim the 60w retains heat longer?

Old 01-14-2017, 02:33 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

There is no doubt that the HD manual is NOT always right.

However, in this particular instance, regarding oil weight, it completely agrees with decades of hands on experience.

If it is always 60* or higher, I run straight 50 weight, as the manual recommends.

If it is always 80* or higher, I run straight 60 weight, as the manual recommends.

Will it damage my engine if I run 20-50 when it is 80* out? Of course not. But it is not ideal either.

I prefer synthetic, but will run dino with no worries.

Quick Reply: an opinion oil question