Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil filter relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:10 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Regarding clamps, though the 3G relocation fittings don't appear to need them, I plan on installing Oetiker stepless clamps nonetheless.

We clamp a lot of hose in my line of work and, though its not epidemic, we see failures enough with "Jubilee" or worm thread reusable clamps that I personally never use em. For the cost of a clamp, I have much more faith in a crimp on type, either double eared or the single eared Oetiker stepless ones. Sure, you have to destroy em to remove em but 2nd or 3rd uses of worm thread reusable clamps bump up the risk of them failing, in my experience anyway.

I'm not out to get into it with users of Jubilee or worm thread reusables. They've indeed been a success story for decades at least. Just not with me.

The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (04-12-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 06:10 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
There is a patent on the design of the relocation Did you use the supplied hose and clamps that came with the DK kit? If you ever run it to any issues with the hose or clamps you could upgrade to Gates 3/8" I.D. 400 PSI reinforced oil cooler hose and #16 fuel injection clamps; it works perfectly on the DK supplied barbed fittings; I'd think you'd be able to get those down in Oz.

Do you notice any additional tension on the clutch cable due to the positioning of the relocation oil filter mount?
I did use the DK hardware and although I've only done about 500kms since the conversion , I'm very happy with the quality of their fittings, but I do appreciate the tip for a plan b if ever I need it, thanks.
As far as the clutch cable goes, you probably can't see it in that photo but it does actually clear the filter mount by the smallest of margins. I was very limited with the positioning because of my forward controls and after a lot of adjustments I think I've got it spot on. Overall I'm very happy with the setup and I'm actually looking forward to my first mess free oil change.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The billet oil filter looks the same as a K&P oil filter except the nut on the end other wise the inside and outer are the exact same. I have the K&P black on my 2007 FXDL Dyna and would never go back to any paper type filter again. The quad O ring you can get a part number for mine which is the S4 oil filter on K&P site and I got like 16 of them for some 23 bucks at an O ring supplier near my work other wise most dealers of the K&P want 5 bucks each.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:01 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

Was is the site for 3 guys??

Old 04-13-2017, 07:08 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Diesel2
Was is the site for 3 guys??

http://www.3guyz.com/vtwin-motorcycl...tegory=1575036

Old 04-13-2017, 07:14 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

Now crazy as this might sound I would like to mount a by pass oil filter on my bike. The Frantz to the frame or a engine guard. I would use, say the Jagg oil cooler adapter without the built in thermostat in it and run good, say stainless steel braided oil line to and back from the Frantz. The Frantz housing is stainless steel so one could polish it up to look nice. The base for the stainless steel cup is I believe is not stainless but could be painted?? Crazy but with the by pass filter it would help the engine and oil to run much cooler I would think and keep the oil so clean. The filter uses a roll of toilet paper, single pile 1000 sheet or get from Frantz. Your oil and engine would love it. I have one of their filters but never used it as yet. Crazy, but I would like to us it on my bike, maybe soon. By the way by pass does not mean it by passes the main full flow filter, it is only by passes some 10% of the oil to it. Now with the K&P or like and the Frantz your engine will thank you. The Frantz by their site cleans oil cleaner then new oil comes out of the bottle.

Last edited by Diesel2; 04-13-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:38 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

The billet oil filter looks the same as a K&P oil filter except the nut on the end other wise the inside and outer are the exact same. I have the K&P black on my 2007 FXDL Dyna and would never go back to any paper type filter again. The quad O ring you can get a part number for mine which is the S4 oil filter on K&P site and I got like 16 of them for some 23 bucks at an O ring supplier near my work other wise most dealers of the K&P want 5 bucks each.
Now crazy as this might sound I would like to mount a by pass oil filter on my bike. The Frantz to the frame or an engine guard. I would use say the Jagg oil cooler adaper without the built in thermostat in it and run good, say stainless steel braided oil line to and back from the Frantz. The Frantz housing is stainless steel so one could polish it up to look nice. The base for the stainless steel cup is I believe is not stainless but could be painted?? Crazy by with the by pass filter would help to run much cooler I would think and keep the oil so clean. The filter uses a roll of toilet paper, single pile 1000 sheet. Your oil and engine would love it.
I know next to nothing about the internals of my 103 TC but I've read the oil gallery includes some fairly small passages, (enough to make early friction modified oils using Moly "particles" a concern). An *** wipe filter element sounds cool but since most *** wipe these days is designed to dissolve readily in septic systems, I'd be,,, well,,, scared shitless, (pardon the pun), to use it as a filter in my TC engine.

Just my $0.02.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

Thank-you HKMark23

Old 04-13-2017, 07:46 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

Och pricey at 295 bucks, with our dollar up here in the great white north, would cost me an arm and a leg.
Thanks for the site and I will save it.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:58 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

Check their site out as they sell rolls for their filter and the toilet paper will not dissolve, theirs or the 1000 sheet type. In fact the filter will stop any water too, in the oil from short runs. Like I said check out their site and then believe or not. The Frantz filter was first out in 1953 I believe. Don Prodome last name spelled incorrect but he use to drag race back when, top fuel rails and was one of the best then and very well known name and he would answer their phone and promote them back when as I talked with him a long time ago.

Last edited by Diesel2; 04-13-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil filter relocation?