Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

'97 FLSTS Flooded, not talking gas and oil

Old 05-24-2017, 12:25 PM
Ditch'r
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '97 FLSTS Flooded, not talking gas and oil

So, my 97 springer got caught in flood waters while in the garage in Oct 2015. I managed to get it out and running for a month afterwards along with another bike, but it stopped turning over that Dec. I did full electrical check (connections, fuses, spark plugs, battery swap) at the time but nothing worked. The starter hits and clunks each time I try to fire it up. I even tried push starting it with no luck.
So fast forward to now because military life forced a pause, and I am currently draining all the fluids from the bike to try an possible remedy that an old wrench gave me (50/50 mix ATF/Acictone through spark plug holes and let it run and drain out the motor to break up any possible rust on the internal parts). Only issue I have seen with this is from reading the forums here, the oil system is a dry sump (don't quote me on that) pump system that doesn't have a drain hole in the bottom of the engine.
I am looking for anyone that is smarter on these engines that will let me know if I am about to create a lot more problems for myself then fix them. (As for water in the carb, I got damn lucky and it only reached the bottom of the air filter and didn't get into the carb.) (NOTE: the other bike is still running and haven't had any issues with it to date)

Old 05-24-2017, 05:33 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Bike reported as running after the flooding correct?
Then you report it stopped running....why????
How did it stop running?
If the water hit the bottom of the air filter only then why do you think it entered the cylinders?
What does it mean when you say the starter hits and clunks?
Have you removed the primary cover and looked at items inside the primary?
If the water made it to bottom of air filter then primary might have been flooded with water...if you left water in it for 2 years then it should probably be the first place to look.
Did you also leave possible water in the transmission? how does the fluid in the transmission look?
The ATF in spark plug hole would be done if you thought rust was in the cylinders but you report water below that level.
I hope you changed fluids in the other bike.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Ditch'r
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im,

It was running correct. What happened was after I cleaned it up and let it sit for 3-4 weeks, being that it was Nov and bad weather, went back to fire it up and run it but it did what I am currently describing. Why it is doing this is what I am working to figure out.
-I don't think water went into the cylinders. I checked them as a precaution because the bike was leaned and water did touch the bottoms of the spark plugs.
-The starter, when you press the ignition button, can be heard contacting and trying to turn the bike and when you release the ignition the starter retracts with a clunk.
-Removing the primary is currently what I am working at. I am gathering supplies right now to put it back together if by chance that is not the problem.
-The fluid in the trans looked okay when I checked it at the time and still looked fine last weekend but I am going to be draining every fluid out and replacing it all.
As for the fluids on the other bike that was taken care of.
I will post updates as I make progress.

Last edited by Ditch'r; 05-25-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. Your bike is an Evo and we have a dedicated Evo section, also a member Bumpandrun over there with an Evo which he rescued from a flood! He calls it Stormy, after the hurricane Sandy. I recommend you post again over there, where hopefully he (plus other Evo experts) will chip in with hints and tips.