Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Too much crankcase pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:29 AM
brntkndll
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Too much crankcase pressure.

Recently developed a problem with my 02 Ultra. I have too much crankcase pressure which is causing the oil cap to launched out of the tank. It has the proper oil filter on it and is definitely not over full on oil. Actually running about 1/2 qt low. As I was 1200 miles from home I put a T in the breather line and ran a hose up by the seat and ending by the tail light. At my first stop I discovered the rear of the bike covered in oil so I fitted a catch can to my jury rigged set up. The problem continued to get worse so I was forced to abandon it in South Carolina and fly home. Any ideas as to where to start diving into this upon it's arrival? I'm thinking the oil pump isn't scavenging correctly. I do have decent oil pressure.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Compression check......

Old 06-11-2017, 12:30 AM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Double check oil filter

There are two types oil filters. Did you recently do or have an oil change done. The evos and sportsters use a less restrictive filter 30 micron with no back flow preventer, as where the twin cams use a 10 micron with a back flow device internal. Both will fit threads found out hard way buying aftermarket filters now I buy only HD ones for my sporty and friends Evo. You can find out more online under wet sumping and oil filters for HD. Good luck. Wild Bill

part numbers H.D for sporty and Evos 63796-77A Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Too much crankcase pressure.-image.jpeg  
Old 06-11-2017, 07:35 AM
brntkndll
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hurricane 68
There are two types oil filters. Did you recently do or have an oil change done. The evos and sportsters use a less restrictive filter 30 micron with no back flow preventer, as where the twin cams use a 10 micron with a back flow device internal. Both will fit threads found out hard way buying aftermarket filters now I buy only HD ones for my sporty and friends Evo. You can find out more online under wet sumping and oil filters for HD. Good luck. Wild Bill

part numbers H.D for sporty and Evos 63796-77A Hope this helps.
First thing I thought of Bill. Changed the filter on it to be sure. Used the 99a. Thanks for the reply. I should have her back Wednesday or Thursday and I'll tear right into it.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I am not sure what year they changed the venting. Do you have a hose coming out of oil spout base? Where cap goes into? They changed 2002 or 2003. I did the retro on my 0il. No hard to do, but I think I had to pull the exhaust to get at all the bolts, can't remember.

Good luck parts guy. If you need it PM me, I will check my file for part number. Problem is they may not make it anymore, only effect 3-4 years. Not sure if the bolt pattern is the same and you can buy base and hose seperate for newer 88. It is possible.

Parts guy was snarky with me. Took me to a bike on the floor to show me, how you can't just add a hose. True, but you can change the base, and then add hose.

They can be uppity when you tell them about stuff you heard on internet. So it is fun, to slap them around a little.

I actually talked a dealer who said he was happy that they sold manuals, cause it meant they would get even more work, from screwed up jobs.

How anyone thinks they are your butt buddy, is beyond me.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-11-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:43 PM
brntkndll
Intermediate

Ok so I tore into this bitch once I had it shipped home and here's what I found. The casting around the o-ring that sits between the cam plate and the hole that supplies oil pressure to the balance shaft chain tensioners on the B engines had a small chunk of the rim of it missing. I believe that the oil was leaking by the oil ring and loading up the cam chest and crankcase beyond the capacity of the scavenger portion of the oil pump to keep up with that much volume of oil. I tapped and plugged that oil feed galley on the cam plate because it's not needed on the A engine and it appears to have solved the problem. Thanks to all of you who responded.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:30 AM
Zerk
Banned

What about all the A engines?

I kinda doubt it matters on Bs either. Dunno.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:43 AM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind . A model and B model cam plates my look the same , but they are not . They have a different oiling passages..

Old 06-24-2017, 09:07 AM
brntkndll
Intermediate

Originally Posted by angelrod
Keep in mind . A model and B model cam plates my look the same , but they are not . They have a different oiling passages..
I beg to differ with you my friend. I'm pretty sure they are all the same until 2006. I just checked part numbers in a couple of my HD parts books and that appears to be the case. However, I've been wrong before. But, the vast majority of after market cam plates fit 99-06 except for the Dyna's. My cam plate definitely has the oil galley for the non existent balance shaft chain tensioners. Plugged it and end of problem. Just following up on my original post in case it can be of assistance to someone down the road.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:00 AM
Zerk
Banned

First year, or two softails had As in them. Flywheels in general cheapened before 2006. But I don't believe they were welded. You want to know for real, talk the guys building engines, in the forums they hang in.

Do you need a welded crank on stock build? Probably not. If I had mine out, I would proably do it. But I am the type who never wants to do it again, and will do all I can when I am into something.

Originally Posted by angelrod
Didn't know this. But I am not into little bikes much.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-24-2017 at 10:56 AM.