Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Syn 3 in all 3. Not a fan.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:17 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

My wifes Dyna has used Syn 3 in the crankcase for 110,000 miles at 5000 mile oci's. All highway miles in mostly hot weather and it still runs strong.
Syn 3 in the primary and Redline in the gear box.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Ericson38
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

No mechanic at my shop will put Syn 3 in the primary or tranny. We use Red Line's products for that, but for warranty or service, its Syn 3 all the way (3 holes) unless the customer specifies something else. They keep coming back, as we are a certified dealer, but Syn3 is not what the mechs or anyone else at the dealer will use in anything but the engine. Sorry, but this is true information. Do with it what you will. The Harley engine layout is one of the few with 3 separate cavities, and the factory sorely needed a universal lube for all 3 for several reasons, including logistics (distribution, marketing, shelf space, stocking, etc.) and human error (factory and service operations), as well as for customer performed services. This one oil for all addressed many of these concerns, but it has drawbacks.

Last edited by Ericson38; 12-01-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:08 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
Not sure what being a HOG member has to do with anything.
They why did you put that bit of information in your original post?

The guy was making a joke. Don`t be so thin skinned.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:28 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Been using Red Line to good effect since my second oil change, (2014 BO).

If I were faced with using Syn 3 or HD 360, I'd use 360. No point in paying a premium for what probably amounts to the same thing. I also don't extend change intervals regardless. Thats just me.

We all have access to oil information here on HDF, and elsewhere, that you can read till your brain rots, as mine probably has . Biggest, (only IMHO), fault with synthetics is paying for it when you're not getting it and that is not uncommon.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:51 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
The primary oil came out looking HORRIBLE after only 5k miles.
That is way too many miles for me. There is no oil filter in the primary, so all the giant chunks that constantly wear off the clutch are free to float around in the oil and act as an abrasive on every moving part...no way can I sleep at night picturing that.

2500 miles is max for me; more often if it's all city driving. It takes less than quart to change...why go so many miles in a part of the engine that wears constantly?

Since you're experimenting with oil, give Mobile1 Racing 4t in 10w40 (sub 80 degree riding) or 15w50 a try...it's JASO MA/MA2 certified which means it's the best rating possible for a clutch oil...and with sales/rebates, it's ~$7qt.

I don't trust Harley products at all...their only concern is the warranty period...no failures due to oil during the warranty put's money in their pocket...failures due to oil after the warranty period also puts money in their pocket...so the cynic in me, and the "design it to fail to boost profits" mentality of CEO's of dang near every product,..forces me to stay away from "OEM Oils".

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 12-02-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim

I don't trust Harley products at all...their only concern is the warranty period...
You learned that on the internet, right?

Old 12-02-2017, 10:03 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
You learned that on the internet, right?
You haven't learned that it real life? Seriously?

Someone else said it best...if Harley spent as much on engineering as they do on lawyers; they'd need a lot fewer lawyers...

Something wrong with your NEW Harley?...first response from the dealer is "That's normal".

How many posts, just on this site, are of dealers screwing over people with problem bikes?

Old 12-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
You haven't learned that it real life? Seriously?

Someone else said it best...if Harley spent as much on engineering as they do on lawyers; they'd need a lot fewer lawyers...

Something wrong with your NEW Harley?...first response from the dealer is "That's normal".

How many posts, just on this site, are of dealers screwing over people with problem bikes?
Way to go, answer a question with a rant.

So I was right, you learned this on the internet.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
cficole (12-05-2017), iRider (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 10:50 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Way to go, answer a question with a rant.

So I was right, you learned this on the internet.
Yeah, I "read it on the internet".

So in your (non internet) reality, Harley proudly stands behind their products; offering impeccable warranty support without the slightest hesitation to do what is right by their customers.

oky-doky.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Flyin'Amber
Cruiser

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

I used Syn3 in all three for a while, mostly because I was being lazy and having the dealer change my fluids.

During hot weather, the primary had an awful rattle coming from it when idling. I asked the dealer service writer about it one day and he scratched his head and said he'd never heard of anyone having that problem and told me to bring the bike in for service to determine the cause of the rattle.

I politely declined and switched it to F+ in the primary and the noise went away.

I've since switched to Redline in the motor and their Shockproof stuff in the tranny. Engine runs cooler and quieter now with less top end noise than the Syn3 had.

I can't say I can tell a huge difference with the Shockproof in the tranny as opposed to the Syn3, but having gear oil in there makes me feel better.

Quick Reply: Syn 3 in all 3. Not a fan.