Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil filter loosely mounted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:53 AM
Delhispearman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter loosely mounted?

Hello everybody. I have a question about my 1989 FLHS which I hope someone can help me with. I was under the engine today looking for an oil leak - which I found and cured - but while there I noticed the the oil filter was loose. It is very difficult to see without a lift, but whilst the hoses running to it all seem fine and there is no oil leaking, the filter itself seems to be hanging in mid-air. Does anyone know how the filter is mounted to the engine? Apologies to all if this seems a daft question but I have not yet had time to get to know this bike so it might be fine or it might not! Thanks in advance for any tips. Andrew

Old 07-16-2017, 09:17 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Items 10, 25,55 in the illustration. Have not messed with one of these in many years, I don`t remember having any fun while working on this area...

The following users liked this post:
Delhispearman (07-24-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 10:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

1990 FLHS here, owned from new. You obviously need a factory service manual for your bike! Or at least to look at an online parts website. Your filter housing is held on by a single bolt through the rear bracket of the trans housing, under the starter. It can be reached and tightened without moving anything, although that can be a challenge!

The following users liked this post:
Delhispearman (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Delhispearman
Novice

Thanks Graham! I have a service manual but I was away from it with the bike. Subsequently I found a you tube clip which showed me how to get a spanner on that bolt which is a left hand thread. I only lost a few finger nails doing it! Thanks again for your advice. Another question. The fender tip light toggle switch on the left behind the screen. Does it turn the other lights off on your bike or do I have a short? I tried selecting it the other day and the engine cut whilst on the move. Leery!

Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Ah, that light switch! My bike is an International spec (I live in the UK) and on my bike it switches the fender tip lights on AND everything else off! The wiring diagrams in the FSM don't cover the wiring of my bike It sounds as if your bike has the same spec, so it is normal and you have the same 'problem' as I had!

There is a relay (looks like any other auto relay, but is wired differently inside), which IIRC was fastened to the top tree. It interrupts power to the main ignition switch when that toggle is operated. I don't recall exactly how I did it, but I removed it from the bike entirely. I have no idea why it is wired in like that and when I quizzed H-D UK, after I discovered that feature back in 1990/1, they couldn't tell me either.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:49 PM
Losde757
Novice
Default Please Do tell..

I'm dealing with the loose oil filter mount. actually it's dangling now. What's your approach on accessing it? I'm about to remove the primary cover to left the starter. Please do tell.

Thanks!

Losde757
91 Tour Glide FLTC

Old 09-28-2017, 09:32 PM
Losde757
Novice

Nevermind, found it and trying to touch it. (removed left side cover to view it.)

Old 09-29-2017, 04:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by Losde757
I'm dealing with the loose oil filter mount. actually it's dangling now. What's your approach on accessing it? I'm about to remove the primary cover to left the starter. Please do tell.

Thanks!

Losde757
91 Tour Glide FLTC
Read post #3 above, also follow the link. The single bolt can, with persistence and patience, be accessed from above the rear of the tranny casing, to reattach the filter. Think calm thoughts and pray to your many gods......

When I discovered mine had come detached I actually disconnected the filter unit from the bike, cleaned it and trimmed the oil lines, to make a fresh clamp on them (I already had screw-type hose clamps).

Old 10-14-2017, 07:14 AM
Delhispearman
Novice

Thanks Graham,

I was only just made aware of this query.

Still have not had a chance to get at the fender tip light switch yet and am now somewhere hot and sandy so will not get a chance for a while now.

I have also fitted a MOTOBATT AGM battery from M&P in UK so will be interested to see how that fares whilst I am away. The other cheapie died.

Best,

Andrew

Old 10-15-2017, 03:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Hi Andrew, to get at that relay you will have to remove the headlight, instruments and the whole binnacle, mainly for access, but also to see what you are letting yourself in for.

Another reason for visiting it and rewiring that switch is that we rode through some heavy rain a few years ago in Germany and water got into it. It shorted out and killed the bike stone dead! Fortunately I realised why and jiggling the switch got us going again, something I had to do several times to get us back home....