Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

I had a big bore 95 kit installed on my 2000 Dyna and i seem to use more oil now

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Smartbass
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had a big bore 95 kit installed on my 2000 Dyna and i seem to use more oil now

I had a big bore 95 kit installed on my 2000 dyna carborated
The way i was told to break it in was to get on the highway for about 50 miles throtleing between 55 and 60 mph for the first 50 miles in 5 mile intervels i put 20 miles on it bringing it back and forth to the garage before i got a chance to take it on the highway but i put a solid 50 miles going from 55 to 60 mph and then after that i kinda kept it up for a couple hundered miles always on the highway
Does that sound like proper breakin?
i was concerned of the 20 miles of pidily sit before i actualy broke it in.
I also seem to use about 5/8 of a quart every 1200 miles does that sound normal i didnt use any oil before i had the work done
thanks

Old 08-20-2017, 09:20 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Smartbass
I had a big bore 95 kit installed on my 2000 dyna carborated
The way i was told to break it in was to get on the highway for about 50 miles throtleing between 55 and 60 mph for the first 50 miles in 5 mile intervels i put 20 miles on it bringing it back and forth to the garage before i got a chance to take it on the highway but i put a solid 50 miles going from 55 to 60 mph and then after that i kinda kept it up for a couple hundered miles always on the highway
Does that sound like proper breakin?
i was concerned of the 20 miles of pidily sit before i actualy broke it in.
I also seem to use about 5/8 of a quart every 1200 miles does that sound normal i didnt use any oil before i had the work done
thanks
===========================

Maybe rings havent seated yet or theres an issue where they wont ever fully seat.

If no oil leaks are seen your motors excessive oil use could also be a valve seal & or valve guide issue too.

I like to use std dino for general breakin to aid in ring seating where real slick syn can at times be an issue if cyl prep isnt spot on.

To help seat rings switch to std dino 20w-50 bike oil (if you havent already done so) load the motor in both accell and then also decell modes/cond's too.

Yoiu do that by for example running the motor at approx 3/4 throttle or so to maybe 4k-4,500rpm while in third gear and then let off throttle and let engine compression slow the bike down to approx 30mph and do that process over again 4-5x's in a row.

Try same thing in 4th gear up to maybe 3500-4k rpm and let off too like maybe 3-4x's in a row too.

When suspecting a ring seal issue on a new engine build thats using excessive oil I would not go back to full syn till you egt at least 1,500-2k miles on the motor to ensure rings are going to seat as well as they can.

If you do the above and oil use doenst improve from current 5/8 (over 1/2) qt oil in 1200miles i'd take it back to engine builder to have them chk it out because it may need to be re-honed & re-ringed if rings/cyls galzed on initial build.

1 more thing to consider,since your bike is carb'd if fuel calibration (jetting & needle jet-clip) settings are setup too rich that can also impede or stop rings from fully/properly sealing due to excessive fuel in cyl walls leading to excessive oil use.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 08-20-2017 at 09:23 PM.