Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

oil change on jiffy stand or horizontal

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:21 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by markwolula
I have a good bike lift .. But when bike is lifted , it is a pain to get to the engine oil drain plug with socket .. Also its a pain to correctly position a oil catch pan between the upright supports of the lift ...
The easiest for me is to,,, bike of jiffy stand ,,,, oil catch pan under drain plug location,,, remove drain plug ,,, let drain,,, get on bike and stand upright for a minute or two, (there is always an extra small amount of oil comes out when standing bike upright),,,, put bike back on jiffy stand , or you can place a piece of wood under the jiffy stand to keep bike in semi upright position ,,, wait for dripping to stop .... Done ...

Regarding the tranny oil ,,,, As it is a vertical hole, and there is only 1lt of oil , I have bike upright on lift, as it is not difficult to position a small oil catch pan between the lift supports ... I also I dont want oil migrating to the left side of bike , as it would if you changed tranny oil on the jiffy stand ....
Under my Softail, the rear-most jack support must engage the frame, just forward of the shocks. Otherwise, you'd be lifting the bike "on" them. This leaves access to everything at the rear of the engine, including all drain plugs, completely unobstructed between the frame and garage floor. Its how it works for a 2014 BO with the 103 TC, at any rate. This results in somewhat of a weight bias to the rear but not enough to require tie downs. The bike lifts and remains completely stable, resting on the jack alone.

(Apologies for commandeering this thread . I'm done now.)

Old 08-31-2017, 08:22 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Drain it on the Jiffy until the flow stops. Then, (with a mirror in hand, or set up on the floor) lean the bike towards the hole and see what comes out. With my Slim, most of the oil comes out on the jiffy with maybe a 1/4 cup coming out when I lean it to the hole.

You really should do all three, right, center, left lean to ensure oil sitting on any ledges/pockets in the engine gets a chance to flow down. Do as the manual says...drain the oil hot...wear thick liquid proof gloves when you pop the plug.

~~~~~~~~~

My Slim holds 3 quarts per the manual...I brought the engine to operating temp, drained the oil hot and replaced the filter after it cooled a bit...refill only took 2.5 quarts...where's the 1/2qt hiding in the engine? Interesting that the service manual says to add 2 quarts, warm the bike, then check/add oil to the full mark...which is what I did...and 2.5qts is all she held....you guys have a similar experience?

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 08-31-2017 at 08:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bart van der Meulen (09-02-2017)