Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble..Harley SYN3... - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums

Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments.

Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble..Harley SYN3...

P

Old 09-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Road Master

Ya it saprised me when I seen foaming of other motorcycle oils. I'll stick with M1 15-50 w/STP and Bosch filter, it's good for 30,000 miles now. Bike now has 107,000 miles.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Road Captain

The bubbles are always there and no matter what brand of oil you use you will not get rid of them. At least that's my experience on bikes with an external tank like Softails. There will be fewer bubbles if you ride far enough to get it hot. Just a trip around the block you will see more. These bikes have survived for many years with this setup. I have seen the bubbles regardless of oil brand and have not seen any more or less with any of them. Its really nothing to worry about
The Following User Says Thank You to martin10 For This Useful Post:
RedneckRob (09-13-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 05:34 PM
Senior Rider

The bubbles are not unusual. Your bike has a dry sump oil system, the oil pump is designed so that the return (scavenge) side has more capacity than the feed side.

When there is little oil in the sump, which is most of the time, the scavenge side will be pumping air to the oil tank.
The Following User Says Thank You to shanneba For This Useful Post:
RedneckRob (09-13-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 08:20 AM
Club Member
Thumbs up

Well done chaps, OP is over thinking this. I've also been riding for over 50 years and 'twas ever thus! Early in my riding life it was the new-fangled multi-grade oils that caused 'problems'......
Old 09-07-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanneba View Post
The bubbles are not unusual. Your bike has a dry sump oil system, the oil pump is designed so that the return (scavenge) side has more capacity than the feed side.

When there is little oil in the sump, which is most of the time, the scavenge side will be pumping air to the oil tank.
I'm no HD mechanic, but I do know dry sump systems and your statement is 100% accurate on dry stumps. You will always have bubbles. Not to mention oil has detergents in them. Detergents are technically a form of soap. Soap makes bubbles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ddieselsmoke For This Useful Post:
RedneckRob (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddieselsmoke View Post
I'm no HD mechanic, but I do know dry sump systems and your statement is 100% accurate on dry stumps. You will always have bubbles. Not to mention oil has detergents in them. Detergents are technically a form of soap. Soap makes bubbles.
Yes, soap makes bubbles, and "additives" are added to pop those bubbles. Oil that is full of air bubbles is foam; foam is a poor lubricant.

The Mobile1 is not bubbling anything like the SYN3.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:44 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

The bottom line here is that there is nothing wrong with the oil, the filter or the bike.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10 View Post
The bubbles are always there and no matter what brand of oil you use you will not get rid of them. At least that's my experience on bikes with an external tank like Softails. There will be fewer bubbles if you ride far enough to get it hot. Just a trip around the block you will see more. These bikes have survived for many years with this setup. I have seen the bubbles regardless of oil brand and have not seen any more or less with any of them. Its really nothing to worry about

Ditto

P