Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Not Impressed with Mobil 1 VTwin

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I run 250-500 weight in mine. Quiet as hell.
So quiet, you can't even hear it running !!

Old 09-20-2017, 05:11 PM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, should have seen that coming, LOL

Old 09-24-2017, 08:38 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 895 Posts

Never understood all the hype myself. They sure seem to sing it praises tho.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:24 PM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I just used it for the first time in mine . The top end
may have been a little noisier but that was offset by
a lot better idle oil pressure . I'm happy with it .

Old 09-30-2017, 02:45 PM
Royw
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No suh spec as Semi Synthetic.

Originally Posted by muddmann
I am just finishing up my first Mobil 1 oil change (3000 miles) I am not overly impressed with it. I have used HD dino oil (best so far), Syn 3 (was okay), Valvoline Synthetic (not bad), and now Mobil 1 (least favorite so far). It makes the top end very noisy, and the bike appears to run hotter. By the way it's a '15 limited, with 15,000 miles on it.

Going to try something else most likely either Schaffer's, or Spectro. Also thinking it will be a semi-synthetic. Guess I will keep on trying until I fine something I like.
Its eithdr Full or 100%. "SEMI" would be Full Synthetic

Old 09-30-2017, 04:07 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Constantly changing oil brands can be a bad idea; unless you're using some kind of extraction system, you're mixing a quart of the old oil with the new oil every time.

When you switch between brands, you always want to make sure the API ratings are the same. Mixing the N standard with the SJ standard then throwing in some SF can really mess up the oil properties.

Give Mobile 15w50 a try. It is SN rated, which is the newest rating, and it's friction modifiers instantly made my engine run much smoother when I switched from SYN3.

15w50 is car oil; do not put it in the clutch...it contains friction modifiers that quiet the engine, but will mess up the clutch...spoke with a Mobile Tech; the 15w50 is perfectly fine in a Harley engine.

Look at your owners manual, do not stray from what it recommends as far as viscosity/air temps. Running "Heavy" oil in an attempt to "quiet" the engine is a terrible idea. Too thick an oil, and you starve critical parts at start up...keep doing that and you'll have a lot more than just "top end" noise to worry about.

Harley top ends are just noisy; it's that 1950 tractor tech. At idle, low rpm, the noise is normal. If you accelerate through some gears, and really load the engine, then that top end noise should vanish...if not, you've got some top end issues to repair.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 09-30-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:31 PM
Route66
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
Constantly changing oil brands can be a bad idea; unless you're using some kind of extraction system, you're mixing a quart of the old oil with the new oil every time.
I use the Scavenger TOTAL Oil Change System with Amsoil 20w50. The results are awesome. Smooth running, smooth shifting, find neutral every time.

https://roguechopper.com/

Old 09-30-2017, 05:03 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Mobil v-twin has much higher levels of anti-wear additive packages than any other oils i researched. using good oil is the cheapest thing you will ever do any engine. to each their own, but you should be using a quality lube.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:04 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim

When you switch between brands, you always want to make sure the API ratings are the same. Mixing the N standard with the SJ standard then throwing in some SF can really mess up the oil properties.

Give Mobile 15w50 a try. It is SN rated, which is the newest rating, and it's friction modifiers instantly made my engine run much smoother when I switched from SYN3.

15w50 is car oil; do not put it in the clutch...it contains friction modifiers that quiet the engine, but will mess up the clutch...spoke with a Mobile Tech; the 15w50 is perfectly fine in a Harley engine.

Look at your owners manual, do not stray from what it recommends as far as viscosity/air temps. Running "Heavy" oil in an attempt to "quiet" the engine is a terrible idea. Too thick an oil, and you starve critical parts at start up...keep doing that and you'll have a lot more than just "top end" noise to worry about.

Harley top ends are just noisy; it's that 1950 tractor tech. At idle, low rpm, the noise is normal. If you accelerate through some gears, and really load the engine, then that top end noise should vanish...if not, you've got some top end issues to repair.
Mixing oils being bad is one of the oldest myths out there. Oils are backwards compatible. There isn't a quart of oil left in there either. I have MIXED oils in my 2000 Toyota car and it has 286K on the clock. With UOA's to prove that the engine is doing fine. So with that being said, draining out the old oil and putting in a diff brand on your HD bike is gonna be just fine.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:55 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
Mixing oils being bad is one of the oldest myths out there. Oils are backwards compatible.
You should give Amsoil a call and straighten them out; tell them to stop "perpetuating the myth":

"AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are compatible with other conventional and synthetic motor oils. Mixing AMSOIL motor oils with other oils, however, will shorten the oil’s life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed. Mixing other oils with AMSOIL motor oils may also void the AMSOIL limited warranty. "

"To minimize the risk of performance- and warranty-related issues due to improper mixing, AMSOIL does not recommend mixing AMSOIL synthetic lubricants."

Mixing brands of oil, especially if they carry different JASO and SAE ratings (that would be improper mixing), is just a plain old bad idea.

~~~~~~

Originally Posted by rhuff
There isn't a quart of oil left in there either
This will vary between bikes, but the service manual for mine says that at least 1/2qt will be left in the machine.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 10-01-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Not Impressed with Mobil 1 VTwin