Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

$220 K&N Filter "Meets OEM Specs"

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:13 AM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Cousy
K&N is just rebranding these. Contact the people who actually make them. JFGO makes a good point about how many regular filters you can buy for what this costs.

https://shop.gopurepower.com/pure-po...rt-pp8110.html
That was my first thought also.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:41 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

does one need to clean the filter occasionally? or is it used forever without cleaning it? if it requires cleaning how do you do that?

Old 11-19-2017, 11:03 AM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga
does one need to clean the filter occasionally? or is it used forever without cleaning it? if it requires cleaning how do you do that?
I use Dawn dish washing soap, a strong mixture of course. Let soak, agitate with my hand, rinse, and dry.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:49 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Cooler operating temperatures - How does this make engine run cooler

Increased horsepower- Again how does it increase horsepower

Lower emissions. - Same question

Maximize Fuel Mileage while Improving Horsepower- One more time, how?

What a crock.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:33 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
Cooler operating temperatures - How does this make engine run cooler

Increased horsepower- Again how does it increase horsepower

Lower emissions. - Same question

Maximize Fuel Mileage while Improving Horsepower- One more time, how?

What a crock.
Cooler temps:
>Flows 1.9 gals per minute at 1psi = oil circulates through the engine at a higher speed and more often = cooler temps.
>The oil filer outer casing is finned = giant heat sink.

Horsepower:
>less resistance to flow through the filter = less energy required (drag) by the oil pump = more HP...minor increase, but still an increase.
>Bonus = less energy expelled by the oil pump = longer oil pump life.

Lower emissions:
>They don't advertise that? Where did you read that?

Fuel Mileage:
>They don't advertise that? Where did you read that? I guess the reduced oil pump drag would boost fuel economy, but it's probably fractional.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I took the stainless screen filter out of the casing, and poured oil through it...went through like water.

Took the same oil and tried to pour it through a paper filter (I had cut the metal away to expose the paper) and most of it just ran down the sides instead of through the filter.

It takes far more pressure to go through paper than the mesh - that's makes the money spent well worth it to me.

Consider:
You spend $20/30/40,000 on the bike...but the thought of $140 for a, superior to paper, re-usable, K&P oil filter is a "crock"?

What do you think is being used in race car engines?
http://www.jegs.com/p/Oberg-Filters/...49768/10002/-1

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 11-21-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:45 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Bikes don't come with stainless mesh filters for several reasons; all of them bad.

1. Clean instead of toss = bad for Harley's profits in selling $15 filters that cost them $2.

2. Superior filtration = longer engine life = Bad for Harley's profits in the service department AND the new bike sales department.

Surely, we all know manufactures are "boosting profit" by engineering in planned failure...right? And what better way to, slowly, kill an engine, well after the warranty period, than to build poor oil filtration into the bike via a paper filter? It's a "win-win" for Harley...

Again, the K&P filters are $140...pocket change compared to what you spent on the bike...tech has been proven for decades...it works...only argument against it is the upfront cost which I say is no argument if you look at the long term benefits.

Also, if you sell the bike, you don't have to sell the filter with it...clean it up, put it on ebay for $100, and I'll bet you sell it right fast...so now, the up front cost is even less of an argument...now the only argument left it lazyness..."I'm not gonna spend time cleaning my oil filter"....geesh, ride a bicycle.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 11-21-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:35 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 144 Likes on 105 Posts

The actual filter I got I purchased through a local dealer. I've had it for a couple of seasons now and love it. Cleaning is easy and being able to examine what's getting stopped is very useful.

As far as I know the Outlaw filter that DK Customs sells is pretty much identical to what I got, and DK Customs is a quality business.

At this point, If I got a new bike, I'd buy another.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:57 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by harkon
The actual filter I got I purchased through a local dealer. I've had it for a couple of seasons now and love it. Cleaning is easy and being able to examine what's getting stopped is very useful.

As far as I know the Outlaw filter that DK Customs sells is pretty much identical to what I got, and DK Customs is a quality business.

At this point, If I got a new bike, I'd buy another.

Why buy another one? Take it off and put a craptastic OEM filter back on the bike before you trade/sell it.

This PCS4C has now been on 3 different Wide Glides; it's a lifetime filter, keep it for your lifetime

Old 11-22-2017, 09:58 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
Why do you only go 3000 miles between changes? The oil itself will be good way past 5000 miles...why not leave it in for 10000 miles...what are you worried about?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 reasons we change oil
:

1. It literally wears out...but that takes 5000 to 15000 miles.

2. It gets dirty...starts getting dirty the first time you start the bike and only gets worse from that point on.

It's the dirt that wears the engine the most and by the time you hit 5000 miles with a paper filter odds are it's plugged, or mostly plugged, and the by-pass is opening and you're not filtering the oil at all.

The 5 micron Harley filter is $15 - so you can buy 15 of those for $220...but you're getting 40 micron filtration...no where near as good as the microscreen units.

Harley: Nominal rating is 5 micron, absolute is 40 micron.
Pure Power: Nominal rating is less than 1 micron, absolute is 22 micron.

The Harley filter is like a window screen compared to the pure power unit; you're not catching anything below 5 micron...and very little above that until you hit 40 micron.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The aircraft industry uses these filters...now, why would they do that?
Oil does not wear out, oil never wears out. You can burn oil, you can load it up with wear products, but in never wears out. Main engine turbine oil in Naval ships is only changed during major overhauls (about once every 10 years). We filtered and ran the main engine oil thru a centrifugal separator for 12 hours per day. (The other 12 were divided up with 11 hours on the turbine generators and 1 hour to clean the DeLaval separators).

My point being you could change your filter and then clean your old oil and it would be as good as new, ready for another 5000 miles.

Last edited by PFWiz; 11-22-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:15 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
There are two mobile 1'...which is the M1MC-131?
Yes it was the M1MC-131

Quick Reply: $220 K&N Filter "Meets OEM Specs"