Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

$220 K&N Filter "Meets OEM Specs"

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 04:34 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
My point being you could change your filter and then clean your old oil and it would be as good as new, ready for another 5000 miles.
You do this with your bike? Let me know how that works out for ya.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:27 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by harkon
You do this with your bike? Let me know how that works out for ya.
Unfortunately it would cost more to clean the oil than to buy new oil.

That does not however invalidate my point that oil NEVER wears out.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:38 AM
harkon
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Unfortunately it would cost more to clean the oil than to buy new oil.

That does not however invalidate my point that oil NEVER wears out.
When oil viscosity begins to break down, simply cleaning it rebuilds the fractures molecule chains? Oil becomes acidic due to combustion byproducts, cleaning the oil removes the acidity?

I don't know, I'm asking in earnest, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Even then, technically you are correct, the oil is not "worn out", but it does become unsuitable for what it was designed for, so, worn out for it's intended use. It, of course, could always be recycled into "new" oil. BTW, you are aware that when they recycle motor oil, they do much more than just put it through a centrifuge, right?

Old 11-24-2017, 01:36 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by harkon
When oil viscosity begins to break down, simply cleaning it rebuilds the fractures molecule chains? Oil becomes acidic due to combustion byproducts, cleaning the oil removes the acidity?

I don't know, I'm asking in earnest, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Even then, technically you are correct, the oil is not "worn out", but it does become unsuitable for what it was designed for, so, worn out for it's intended use. It, of course, could always be recycled into "new" oil. BTW, you are aware that when they recycle motor oil, they do much more than just put it through a centrifuge, right?
I am most certainly not any type of petroleum engineer, all I can tell you is what they taught us in the Navy. 3 med cruises, 2 IO cruises, 1 around the world, several North Atlantic and a bunch of Caribbean cruises over 4 years and we never changed any of the oil. This is what the Navy taught and it it what they did....
It could be wrong, but it is what they do.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:51 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Just discussed this another ex Navy Nuke. It appears we are both right, although for the purposes of motorcycles you are far more correct than i was. As I said as long as you do not burn the oil it can last forever. The Navy runs their oil below 200 degrees while Harley's are running 250 plus continuously peaking at well over 300. That is why synthetic oil last so much longer. It does not burn.

Anyway I admit that for the purpose of this thread I was Wrrr, wrrro, wrrr. mistaken.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:47 PM
harkon
Road Captain

I'll buy that. Then in terms of a naval turbine, you were correct!

BTW, I did a bit of more in depth research on recycling motor oil. It's a pretty interesting process.

Last edited by harkon; 11-24-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:47 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
Cooler temps:
>Flows 1.9 gals per minute at 1psi = oil circulates through the engine at a higher speed and more often = cooler temps.
>The oil filer outer casing is finned = giant heat sink.

Horsepower:
>less resistance to flow through the filter = less energy required (drag) by the oil pump = more HP...minor increase, but still an increase.
>Bonus = less energy expelled by the oil pump = longer oil pump life.

Lower emissions:
>They don't advertise that? Where did you read that?

Fuel Mileage:
>They don't advertise that? Where did you read that? I guess the reduced oil pump drag would boost fuel economy, but it's probably fractional.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I took the stainless screen filter out of the casing, and poured oil through it...went through like water.

Took the same oil and tried to pour it through a paper filter (I had cut the metal away to expose the paper) and most of it just ran down the sides instead of through the filter.

It takes far more pressure to go through paper than the mesh - that's makes the money spent well worth it to me.

Consider:
You spend $20/30/40,000 on the bike...but the thought of $140 for a, superior to paper, re-usable, K&P oil filter is a "crock"?

What do you think is being used in race car engines?
http://www.jegs.com/p/Oberg-Filters/...49768/10002/-1
The one that's marketed under the Pure Power name. If I was running a $50,000 race car engine I would pop $200.00 for an oil filter. I'm am running a $15,000 engine in my performance boat so I do pay $5.00 more for a decent over the counter filter.

The benefits of everything you described would be so nominal as to not make a difference at all. Faster moving oil does not necessarily mean cooler oil temps as for the oil has to be in contact with the heat, which is largely created by combustion, not by friction.

Also when you consider that in all engines, a significant percentage of oil bypasses the filter, you're not getting the heat or pressure reduction that you think you are. It does not all flow though the filter like fuel does. That material is a slightly better heat sink that a stock filter, but I would venture to guess that the few degrees difference in oil temp would not even show up on a gauge.

Regular oil and filter changes are what make these and all other engines last. It's your money. Spend it how you see fit.

I'll admit that they do look cool.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:27 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 813 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
Cooler operating temperatures - How does this make engine run cooler

Increased horsepower- Again how does it increase horsepower

Lower emissions. - Same question

Maximize Fuel Mileage while Improving Horsepower- One more time, how?

What a crock.
You have over looked the obvious.
Increased horsepower = Less weight (Your Wallet)
Lower emissions = No money left for gas

The following users liked this post:
dribble (11-27-2017)
Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
If I was running a $50,000 race car engine I would pop $200.00 for an oil filter.
Why spend $200 on an oil filter for any engine ($50,000 or not) if there is no real benefit?

10,000HP, Top Fuel dragster..running a paper filter?...lol...no way...XRP Stainless oil filter screen...wonder why?

One reason I'd bet money on, is that the oil pressure in that engine would blow that paper filter to pieces in about a half a second...because paper filters create oil flow reducing back pressure.

http://www.bmeltd.com/dragster/specs.htm

For a cycle, you can't point to one thing about about a screen filter than makes a HUGE difference, but you can point to many things that do make a difference...and when you add them up, you've simply got a superior filter compared to paper.

Here's a biggy for me...cycles sit a lot, which results in condensation that often isn't burned off resulting in "watery" oil...a paper filter sucks up and holds that water, increasing pressure and popping the bypass...not good...right there is enough for me to go with a screen.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:07 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
Why do you only go 3000 miles between changes? The oil itself will be good way past 5000 miles...why not leave it in for 10000 miles...what are you worried about?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 reasons we change oil:

1. It literally wears out...but that takes 5000 to 15000 miles.

2. It gets dirty...starts getting dirty the first time you start the bike and only gets worse from that point on.

It's the dirt that wears the engine the most and by the time you hit 5000 miles with a paper filter odds are it's plugged, or mostly plugged, and the by-pass is opening and you're not filtering the oil at all.

The 5 micron Harley filter is $15 - so you can buy 15 of those for $220...but you're getting 40 micron filtration...no where near as good as the microscreen units.

Harley: Nominal rating is 5 micron, absolute is 40 micron.
Pure Power: Nominal rating is less than 1 micron, absolute is 22 micron.

The Harley filter is like a window screen compared to the pure power unit; you're not catching anything below 5 micron...and very little above that until you hit 40 micron.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The aircraft industry uses these filters...now, why would they do that?
One more reason. Many people have installed tuners which changes the cruising A/F ratio from 14.7:1 to 12-13:1. That richer mixture leaves more hydrocarbons in the oil. The Harley Maintenance Schedule does not factor this in. No $220.00 oil filter will remove unburned fuel from your oil.

Quick Reply: $220 K&N Filter "Meets OEM Specs"