Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Washable Oil Filters - Anyone have test results?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:47 PM
CHHBadkarma
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GFVIII
I'm no expert but I always wondered why someone would want to wash a dirty oil filter. Unless you can prove to me that they are overwhelming better than a K & N, I'll agree with the post quoted above.
it all boils down to the test standards and methods used to classify filtration. The test types and info is out there if you wish to look. If you do, you will likely have less faith in the "claims" of over the counter filters.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:10 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tired
Yes by all means. Can't wait to see it!
Q: Why do oil filters have bypass mechanisms?
A: Because, as the miles rack up, they clog up.

Q: Why bother changing the oil filter; ever?
A: Because, as the miles rack up, they clog up.

Q: As a filter fills with gunk, does the bypass open sooner and more often?
A: Yes.

Q: Is unfiltered oil running through the engine a good thing?
A: Do I really need to give you this one?

Ok, now for the "Proof":

Pull out your owners manual, mine says not to exceed 5000 miles UNDER PERFECT CONDITIONS...if it is "dusty", HARLEY SAYS I should change it more often?

Q: Why is Harley telling me, under perfect conditions, not to exceed 5000 miles for the oil/filter?
A: They are worried it is becoming too restrictive(causing the bypass to open) and may soon, if not already, be clogged shut.

Are the Harley engineers full of sheet, or is there any chance the HARLEY ENGINEERS have ran some scientific tests to determine that at 5000 miles, under PERFECT conditions, the filter is, or is nearly, full of dirt?

HARLEY says at 5000 miles, that filter is done..and by "done", they mean it's trapped as much dirt as it's going to trap without totally failing to trap anything...and that is all the "proof" i need to know it's not the best idea to hit 5000 miles on a Harley oil filter if the driving conditions weren't "perfect" as the owners manual spells out.

If you think you can run a paper filter 5000 miles without it's ability to filter being hampered to the point where the bypass is never, or even rarely, allowing unfiltered oil to run through the engine..well...good luck with that.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 10-06-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:23 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer

Originally Posted by CHHBadkarma
it all boils down to the test standards and methods used to classify filtration. The test types and info is out there if you wish to look. If you do, you will likely have less faith in the "claims" of over the counter filters.
The more expensive, the more critical, an engine is....the less likely it is running a paper filter...what does that tell us...

Also, why are they prevalent in aircraft engines...and military apps?

Old 10-06-2017, 09:20 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

a centrifuge will not remove additives since these are at the molecular level.
a new media filter flow through would be in a couple of pounds and probably less. when you look at a pressure gauge, you are seeing engine restriction.
there are plenty of newer medias around way better than paper. the waukesha filter is actually fine spirals of wood and turn in better results that any, yes, any screen out there. they are long lived also but at 70 bucks a pop and 14 to a pot, it adds up and then it becomes hazmat and all the paper trail with it.
a media filter will hold way more than a screen before getting diff'l pressure.
i ran frantz filters and they will filter a nat's *** out of the oil but they are unsightly for a mc. they do make great hand warmers in the winter. they used to carry an faa number till the advent of particle detectors. it would filter the metal so well, the detector could not see looming engine issues and thus it lost its number.
on the vehicles i owned, never pulled the oil drain plug and i ran them till the body gave out and never an engine failure. all i did was change the toilet roll and add a quart every 2k miles. these units will filter anything with pressure and you can see looming engine issues by examining the top of the roll when you changed it. these are operated in by-pass only and not flow through.

forgot to add that in times past, we did add moly to engine oils but as R&D by the mfg demanded better oils, they got them so modern oils need nothing. that said, you need to know the design criteria to make sure you are using the correct oil. industrail natural gas fired engines demand ashless or low ash oils since this additive can cause carbon build up between the land and ring, by the same token you can not run it in a diesel where high particulate is present.

Last edited by bustert; 10-06-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:05 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Never seen this brought up in any of these threads.

What is the 'official' word from Harley Davidson on the use of these stainless steel mesh oil filters as far as the warranty is concerned?

Old 10-09-2017, 09:17 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

i suppose it would be the same as the auto world, hd has to prove that the unit did harm. owners are not required by law to purchase mfg suggested products.
however, insurance companies can require you to use OEM as a condition of being insured. i do not think that oil filter would be one of them.

The following users liked this post:
firehawk6 (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 04:45 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
hd has to prove that the unit did harm.
All the factory has to do is deny the warranty claim, they don`t have to prove anything...

Old 10-10-2017, 06:07 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
All the factory has to do is deny the warranty claim, they don`t have to prove anything...
So the Magnuson-Moss Act isn't worth the paper it's written on?

"FTC Validates Right to Install Aftermarket Parts. In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part".

Kind of tells me Harley Davidson would legally be required by law/statute to provide proof the SS mesh oil filter caused any damage resulting in a warranty claim.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard directly from Harley about these oil filters.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:23 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

well i have been in this boat a couple of times. all it takes is a letter from an attorney. the last time i had to get justice was with forest river, never will buy another trailer from them. hey, i did recovery 16,800 dollars from them, was shooting for them to take the trailer back so in the end, i broke even. the biggest factor is you have to sue in the jurisdiction of the seller and some judges do not like outsiders.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:53 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer

Originally Posted by firehawk6
Never seen this brought up in any of these threads.

What is the 'official' word from Harley Davidson on the use of these stainless steel mesh oil filters as far as the warranty is concerned?
You can use any oil filter you'd like; but they can always claim the filter messed up the bike and deny your warranty claim...your next option is a courtroom and they know you mostly likely won't take it there...so they win.

If you value your Harley warranty...leave the bike 100% stock until the warranty expires..if you can't do that...before you bring it into a dealer, undo any changes and bring the bike in stock.