Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Level vs Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 10:55 AM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

It would cost you a little but trailer it up there ask the service writer to come out and start it up. Let him see it smoking.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:39 AM
GusTrevino
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddieselsmoke
It would cost you a little but trailer it up there ask the service writer to come out and start it up. Let him see it smoking.
I actually thought of that. It doesn’t take too long before it collects enough oil in there and starts smoking though. I was Kinda testing it out and seems it just takes a few hours. I have multiple videos of it smoking as well but the service writer didn’t care to view them. Every time I start her up and my wife walks into the garage she says “it smells like burnt oil in here” so these guys better not give me any crap about that since is super obvious. I just got off the phone with “costumer care” and my previous visits are documented. Now since it’s broken in the dealer has “authority” to dig into the engine to further diagnose it. It’s still a little concerning to me though but I suppose that’s normal under the circumstances. Brand new bike and having serious engine issues. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:12 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GusTrevino
...I have multiple videos of it smoking as well but the service writer didn’t care to view them.

WOW!
Sounds like our local Harley dealer; top down place is full of Awsholes.

I will NEVER EVER, EVER buy ANYTHING from my local Harley dealer...I know I am far from alone in that opinion...lied to, ignored...the worst customer service...went in there for the very first time, ready to buy a bike, negative experience to say the least, gave them another shot a month later as I know some days are just bad days...same awful attitude and poor service as your "service writer". You can actually find YouTube vids of people talking about their dealership "experience" and I completely understand exactly what they're talking about as this appears to be a systemic issue throughout Harley.

I needed one of Harley's special screws...I ordered online (more expensive) and waited 5 days instead driving 4 miles to the dealer...

If I was you, I'd stick this bike back on Harley (maybe you need a lawyer) and never step foot in that dealership again.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 12-26-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:42 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,594 Likes on 5,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddieselsmoke
Is it just me, or does anybody else see the contradictions in the manual?
Says oil level can not be checked accurately cold. Then the next paragraphs it describes how to check it cold!
The cold check is like CAT and a lot of other equipment. It is a level that is safe to start and run until hot enough to check the right way. With my RGU in this cooler weather in the 20's if the bike is half cold it right on full hot.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:14 AM
harley506d
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If they are finally going to have a look at it fine, if not i would pick the busiest day of their week, go park up all day near the entrance and fire it up just as a group of customers were walking in.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:49 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by harley506d
If they are finally going to have a look at it fine, if not i would pick the busiest day of their week, go park up all day near the entrance and fire it up just as a group of customers were walking in.
Mate of mine did the same thing only sat outside the Ford dealership, because he was asked to leave the premises while they deal with his issue because he was told that he’s making a nusance of his self

With a big cut out of a lemon 🍋 He sat ouside, Even got on the TV .

They replaced his defective car

The power of negative advertising ❤️ It

Wiz 🍺

Old 12-28-2018, 02:22 PM
GusTrevino
Intermediate

!!!UPDATE!!!!: Well, just got off the phone with the dealer and “they” had gotten the ok to tear down the engine and low and behold there was an issue. Kind of like what I said 200 miles into owning it. Apparently the piston rings were improperly installed. According to the service manager the rings were installed upside down and casing an improper seal. So now I’m getting new pistons/rings and honing of both cylinders. Oh and there’s carbon buildup on my heads. Well no sh*t I’ve burned through about 3 1/2 qts of oil in about 1,500 miles. Crazy I had to wait this long before something was done but I’m just grateful it’s getting taken care of.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:27 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by GusTrevino
!!!UPDATE!!!!: Well, just got off the phone with the dealer and “they” had gotten the ok to tear down the engine and low and behold there was an issue. Kind of like what I said 200 miles into owning it. Apparently the piston rings were improperly installed. According to the service manager the rings were installed upside down and casing an improper seal. So now I’m getting new pistons/rings and honing of both cylinders. Oh and there’s carbon buildup on my heads. Well no sh*t I’ve burned through about 3 1/2 qts of oil in about 1,500 miles. Crazy I had to wait this long before something was done but I’m just grateful it’s getting taken care of.
Well if you think of it , if they would have built the bloody thing properly in the first place,

Wait a minute, I forgot we’re talking about a Harley.

Wiz 🤣

Old 12-29-2018, 09:20 PM
GusTrevino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

Well if you think of it , if they would have built the bloody thing properly in the first place,

Wait a minute, I forgot we’re talking about a Harley.

Wiz 🤣

Good point. Only 115 year in the business and still haven’t figured it out right 😂

Old 12-31-2018, 08:02 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad you got to the bottom of it. Must've been put together on a Friday.

Quick Reply: Oil Level vs Oil Consumption