Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

SS reusable oil filter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 10:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

The beauty of a disposable oil filter is that all the accumulated stuff inside it is got rid of. It's so simple! Unfortunately anything involving oil seems to give some of us a lot of stuff to get anxious about.....

Old 01-01-2018, 11:17 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
The beauty of a disposable oil filter is that all the accumulated stuff inside it is got rid of. It's so simple! Unfortunately anything involving oil seems to give some of us a lot of stuff to get anxious about.....

And a permanent oil filter does the same job; the difference is instead of throwing a disposable in the land fill I can easily remove the filter element within the permanent and clean it and mount it back on the oil filter relocation. Just a different way of accomplishing the same thing

Old 01-01-2018, 11:44 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,405 Likes on 2,939 Posts

My main reasons for looking into one of these filters is...

1. I will ride in temps down to around 32*F, would be nice if the oil pressure at those temps wasn't opening the bypass valve for the first 5 minutes or so. Filtering 35 microns is better than no filtering.

2. It is my understanding that because of the type of bearings Harley uses, oil flow rate is more critical than pressure. In cold and hot temps it appears the SS filter will flow better.

3. Lastly, not having to run to the dealer to buy a filter every time I change oil.

Any claimed increase in horsepower isn't much of a concern to me, and really neither is additional cooling which can't be all that much as there is no real airflow over the filter anyway. It is blocked somewhat by the regulator.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:11 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Good grief - I've been riding for over 50 years and never knew I had to worry about oil filters! Bikes didn't have them at all way back and the stock ones today are just fine for my three V-twins and me.
Made in China for 75 cents each...for your $20 ~ $40,000 motorcycle- still think you don't "need to worry" about your paper filters?

75 cent Chinese oil filters...look familiar..maybe different paint job, "Harley" printed on it..and it's the one that is "just fine" for you: http://pengchengfilters.en.made-in-c...915-Yzze1.html

Check out the specs on that 75 cent filter:
1.Filter efficiency reach 99.9%
2.Great dust hold capacity and vey fine filter precision (0.3μm)

0.3 Micon filtering - WOW! Way better than the Harley filter even! Amazing (bold face lie).

Random Fram, cut open, hole in media:

PROFIT, PROFIT, PROFIT!

That is all that matters...if 5% of big $$$$ Harley engines are ruined by a 75 cent oil filter...that's acceptable...odds are good the engine won't fail until after the warranty...and then Harley makes even more PROFIT

From a modern day CEO's perspective:
1. Build it to last 100% through the warranty period.
2. Build it to fail in minor ways (profits from parts sales) for the life of the engine.
3. Build it to fail 100% at some point in the future..not too soon, no too late.

Sorry, but there's a lot to "worry about" in this world...corporate psychopaths will rob you blind if you let them...75 cent Chinese paper filters are a perfect "time-bomb" to force product replacement at some point in the future.

Best of luck to you, your "3 v-twins" and those 75 cent Chinese filters with Harley printed on them

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 01-01-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:29 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
Made in China for 75 cents each...for your $20 ~ $40,000 motorcycle- still think you don't "need to worry" about your paper filters?

75 cent Chinese oil filters...look familiar..maybe different paint job, "Harley" printed on it..and it's the one that is "just fine" for you: http://pengchengfilters.en.made-in-c...915-Yzze1.html

Check out the specs on that 75 cent filter:
1.Filter efficiency reach 99.9%
2.Great dust hold capacity and vey fine filter precision (0.3μm)

0.3 Micon filtering - WOW! Way better than the Harley filter even! Amazing (bold face lie).

Random Fram, cut open, hole in media: https://youtu.be/XRRgw4B7R-I

PROFIT, PROFIT, PROFIT!

That is all that matters...if 5% of big $$$$ Harley engines are ruined by a 75 cent oil filter...that's acceptable...odds are good the engine won't fail until after the warranty...and then Harley makes even more PROFIT

From a modern day CEO's perspective:
1. Build it to last 100% through the warranty period.
2. Build it to fail in minor ways (profits from parts sales) for the life of the engine.
3. Build it to fail 100% at some point in the future..not too soon, no too late.

Sorry, but there's a lot to "worry about" in this world...corporate psychopaths will rob you blind if you let them...75 cent Chinese paper filters are a perfect "time-bomb" to force product replacement at some point in the future.

Best of luck to you, your "3 v-twins" and those 75 cent Chinese filters with Harley printed on them
I've cut open Harley oil filters (manufactured by Champion Laboratories and they are reasonably good quality filters. So much so that Harley saw fit to install them on about a million and a half motorcycles in the last ten years and guarantee the engines for two years with unlimited mileage. I pretty sure that they don't have many engine failures that are traced back to the oil filter.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:46 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

why do we just can all the crapola!?!
honda did it the best way years ago but it did not work out!!! WHY????

pure unadulterated stupidity on the owner, period!!!!

it seems that idiots could not follow written instruction or tooooo cheap to have a dealer service it.
because of this, honda can'ed the built in centrifuge and went with a simple plain any stupid could do paper throw away oil filter.
if you came into the shop with engine damage and they pulled the centrifuge and it was carboned up, no warranty.
offshore, i had to literally beat them apart because mechanic are tooooo lazy or stupid to service such a simple item.
but then again, there are stupids that still use class a oil in a modern engine, friend up the street totally coked his engine up, wish i took pictures, could even make out the camshafts in the heads.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by firehawk6
My main reasons for looking into one of these filters is...

1. I will ride in temps down to around 32*F, would be nice if the oil pressure at those temps wasn't opening the bypass valve for the first 5 minutes or so. Filtering 35 microns is better than no filtering.

2. It is my understanding that because of the type of bearings Harley uses, oil flow rate is more critical than pressure. In cold and hot temps it appears the SS filter will flow better.

3. Lastly, not having to run to the dealer to buy a filter every time I change oil.

Any claimed increase in horsepower isn't much of a concern to me, and really neither is additional cooling which can't be all that much as there is no real airflow over the filter anyway. It is blocked somewhat by the regulator.
1. Every manufacturer on the planet designs and tests their vehicles to operate fully in temps that few of us will ever ride in, from Death Valley to Alaska. Your engine will be fine while you give it such an easy time (along with the rest of us!).

2. Harley engines, like many other bike engines, use roller bearings, not plain shell type as in most cars and other vehicles. As per above, a change of filter brand won't have any adverse or significantly beneficial effect. Few if any of us are going to tax our Harleys in normal use.

3. Plenty of options of other brands of filter!

4. How much power does a filter consume? A tiny amount barely worth bothering about IMHO. An underinflated tyre will have more influence on performance.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:49 PM
skills
Tourer
Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Have you checked out the K&P oil filters? I can't comment on the S&S filter but I really like this K&P so far

Old 01-10-2019, 06:14 AM
CHHBadkarma
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

There are some fans on this forum of the K&P filters. They get mentioned from time to time if you run a search I'm sure they will come up

Old 02-07-2019, 08:11 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Been running the K&P filters on all our bikes for years. Couldn’t convince me to run any other.

Quick Reply: SS reusable oil filter question