Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Not an Oil war just information:

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 03:09 PM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Not an Oil war just information:

I am an avid M1 v-twin 20w-50 user. After very detailed research on information about Quicksilver oil vs. Mobil 1 I was shocked. Turns out that Mobile 1 v-twin oil actually comes from Venezuela, to be fair it may also come from two other sources both overseas. I also found out that Quicksilver v-twin oil actually comes from a “sweet oil and gas well in Texas” and is processed into full synthetic oil in the USA. I truly wish I was wrong in my information but I am not. Will I switch from Mobil 1. I really do not know. I AM very tempted to try Quicksilver just once to make this a true comparison. This was a complete shock to me and I know I should be posting my search info and I will but before I do I just want to try to believe in what I found and double and maybe even triple check myself. I am willing to put myself out there for any and all comments on this information be it negative or positive any and all will help. Thanks

Old 12-22-2017, 03:45 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,453 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Cool story. But I have a friend who is a "Texas Sweet Oil & Gas Well' expert. Do you mind if we check with him?

The following users liked this post:
Skoel (01-05-2018)
Old 12-22-2017, 04:00 PM
CB5150
Road Master

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm shocked that you're shocked. This is 2017...almost 2018. Like it or not we live in a global economy. Your Harley is almost as foreign as the oil you put in it. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Idahokid (05-17-2018)
Old 12-22-2017, 04:00 PM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Tired

Cool story. But I have a friend who is a "Texas Sweet Oil & Gas Well' expert. Do you mind if we check with him?
Just a guess, but I guessing that "sweet grade" is paraffinic base stock and not napthinic.

Pennsylvania grade base stock is paraffinic.

If M1 is a PAO synthetic, why would they buy a base stock from Venezuela when Mobile is one of the worlds largest producers of PAO's

Ken

Old 12-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

You probably would need to try it more than just once and you would also need a base set of numbers from the M1 to start with so you could compare it to the QS

Old 12-22-2017, 10:42 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Without foreign oil, gas in the USA would be $50/gal...we just don't have the oil reserves necessary to generate what we consume.

I'd bet there isn't enough "Sweet Oil" produced in a year in all of Texas to meet Mobile's demand for crude for a single month...

Whatever you do, DO NOT research where all the parts in your Harley come from..."I don't think you can handle the truth"...

PS>
>Switch to Mobile1 15w50 in crankcase; half price of the 20w50 and it carries the latest SN rating...do not put this in any other hole...
>Use Mobile1 Racing 4T in the Primary...JASO MA/MA2 rated....good stuff....I also use it in the transmission as it's made for wet bikes.

Last edited by HDSlimJim; 12-22-2017 at 10:45 PM.
1BRAVO9 (01-04-2018)
Old 12-22-2017, 11:08 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
Without foreign oil, gas in the USA would be $50/gal...we just don't have the oil reserves necessary to generate what we consume...
The US gets more than 50% of its oil domestically.

There is currently a global glut of oil, being led by US oil production. Expectations are that the US will surpass 10 million barrels per day next year, breaking a record that goes back to 1970.

This will move the US up to the #2 largest oil producer on the planet, passing Saudi Arabia, and second only to Russia.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 12-22-2017 at 11:30 PM.
RATFINK53 (01-21-2018)
Old 12-23-2017, 04:09 AM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks everybody, and thanks HDslimjim, I do use Mobile1 Racing 4T in the Primary and will stay with M1. I am also happy with redline in the transmission. I think these days I over engineer my self with the internet and just need to ride more.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:49 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

personally, i think it is a load of horse hockey!

do you think the oil from venezeula magically transports itself to a special place in the refinery??? DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE OLD OIL/NEW OIL THINGY BACK IN THE 80S??
this oil is shipped in by a tanker, pumped off into a common oil pipeline and goes through a maze of diff switching points and is mixed with oil from everyone else who pumps oil into the line.
this is ONLY a base as oil is mostly additives which makes it work according to whoever engineers the end product. the fact is, many brands of oil come from a common plant. even you can have your own "XYZ" oil bottled and sold via your own distribution system.
95% of advertising is pure hype!?!
the us can support itself if needed but look at where our oil goes. a lot of so called us oil bought from over-seas never makes it into the us. are we there for just being a nice guy and helping out, naw, the oil companies make profits and that is the bottom line. just a few years back, speculators ran the oil markets and relied on fear for profits. well big brother got enough hearsay from us poor folks and now, there are big windfall taxing on these people and makes it less tempting, after all, they also are subject to oil markets.
truth told, oil markets are never about supply and demand, it is the human element, same thing about starving people. if our enemies are taking over oil fields and selling oil to fund themselves, and the market is held low, then they will have to sell cheaper than dirt and if oil can be gotten elsewhere, why would someone take a chance on black market oil, if caught, hell to pay.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:44 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm considering using the guicksilver in the heat of the summer over m1 15-50.

Quick Reply: Not an Oil war just information: