Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Mobil 1, 0w40 fs oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,492 Likes on 4,610 Posts

It just kills you when someone doesn`t agree with you, doesn`t it?

Please feel free to answer using less than 400 words.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-07-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:10 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
The best oil weight to use is the one recommended by the people that built the engine...
That's just crazy talk.

All the smart people will guarantee the safety of their motor by believing somebody named "540rat".

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Don`t confuse this guys web log with science, he gives no information on how he "tests" the oils, but he does put a large amount of spin on how special he is.
Oh, but he does explain his methodology:

"The details of the specific test equipment set-up I developed, as well as the details of the specific test procedure I developed, that provide the accuracy and repeatability that I demand, are Proprietary Intellectual Property."

HAHAHAHAAAA!!

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 01-07-2018 at 02:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dan89FLSTC (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 05:29 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

Did a little more research and am trying to figure what the poor point is of certain oils at a certain temp. I found a site that gave me some info on that. This pour point corresponds to the temperature that freezes the paraffin molecules of the oil into a white crystalline wax that will eventually immobilize the overall oil. Not good, it can actually plug small oil port starving the engine. Anyways A lot of us like to get out and ride in 40 or 45* temp and did you know that at that temp (40*) a standard 10w30 motor oil actually carries a weight of 70.. Wow, we don't even us that in the hottest days of the year. So if that's the case why would a 0w40 or give less protection? Everyone know's that the most damage is done at start up, so why not use an oil that flows better in colder ambient temps but will still protect in hotter ambient temps.
This article
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...scosity-limits
also stated that 20w50 is a good aircraft oil.
I still like my choice but might even try a 5w50......

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 01-07-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:48 AM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Did a little more research and am trying to figure what the poor point is of certain oils at a certain temp. I found a site that gave me some info on that. This pour point corresponds to the temperature that freezes the paraffin molecules of the oil into a white crystalline wax that will eventually immobilize the overall oil. Not good, it can actually plug small oil port starving the engine. Anyways A lot of us like to get out and ride in 40 or 45* temp and did you know that at that temp (40*) a standard 10w30 motor oil actually carries a weight of 70.. Wow, we don't even us that in the hottest days of the year.
This article
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...scosity-limits
also stated that 20w50 is a good aircraft oil.
I still like my choice but might even try a 5w50......
...Carries a viscosity of a 70 weight at what temp? it is not going to be 40F

Take a bottle of straight 70 and put in your refrigerator overnight and see how thick it is. If you had a wick in it, you could light it.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:40 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

My best understanding of oil weight is this. Flows like the first number cold and protects like the second. BUT with that said. I would not run a zero anything in an air cooled Harley engine. What would be the point? What would be the advantage?

Old 01-09-2018, 06:52 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

Yea I messed up my numbers, I miss read the chart.... Any ways I really don't see the harm @45* ambient temperature. I figure if it's a full synthetic it wouldn't hurt cold...

Old 01-09-2018, 08:18 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,396 Likes on 2,934 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
My best understanding of oil weight is this. Flows like the first number cold and protects like the second. BUT with that said. I would not run a zero anything in an air cooled Harley engine. What would be the point? What would be the advantage?
My thoughts exactly, I can see no upside, and ALOT of downside.

I'm curious what HD's response to a bike brought in that was still under warranty and experienced engine damage/failure running a 0w oil? My guess would be, claim DENIED!

Last edited by firehawk6; 01-09-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 AM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
"The point" would be easy cold starts.

"The advantage" would be fewer dry engine revolutions before the oil hits those spinning parts.

Actually, it flows like the first number at (roughly) 100 degrees and the second number at 200 degrees.

Less than 100 degrees it gets thicker fast.
More than 200 degrees and it thins out big time.

Check this out:

Old 01-11-2018, 12:12 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
My thoughts exactly, I can see no upside, and ALOT of downside.

I'm curious what HD's response to a bike brought in that was still under warranty and experienced engine damage/failure running a 0w oil? My guess would be, claim DENIED!
What is the downside?

The number before the W is simply the cold rating...what really matters is the number after the W; that is the weight of the oil when the engine is at operating temp. For my bike, Harley wants w50 oil, but I can drop to w40 oil if the air temp is 40 degrees or less.

Running W40, or less, at temps above 40 degrees would be flirting with a warranty void.

The only real downside to 0W40 oil is that gap between the 0 and the 40...that's a lot of viscosity additives, which aren't lubricants, that will shear as the oil experiences higher temps and miles...turning your w40 oil into w30 or less...if you're planning 5000 miles changes, I would be best to use a straight weight, second best would be an oil with the smallest gap between the first and last W number.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:28 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSlimJim
"The point" would be easy cold starts.

"The advantage" would be fewer dry engine revolutions before the oil hits those spinning parts.

Check this out:
https://youtu.be/7h3N0v18USA

Ok, I see what you are trying to do. You are addressing the cold flow rates and lubrication properties of the oil. What about dampening, sealing, corrosion preventative, and the hydraulic action? Does 0w-40 cling to parts for as long as 20w-50? How is the lighter oil going to deal with ring seal, blow by, and stock oil separators/ breathers?

Quick Reply: Mobil 1, 0w40 fs oil