Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Syn 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:21 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Syn 3

Is it full synthetic and your proof please, I can't find anything.
Was it changed from a semi-synthetic ?
I don't know if this http://easyrider.easyrider.com/syn3.htm is made in 2016 or it's copyright 2016.

Last edited by badcooky; 03-04-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:38 PM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

good luck, I am sure someone will step up and offer some type of proof one way or the other. It is called SYN3 for one of two reasons. Some say it is because when it first came out it could be used in all three holes. Others say it is because it is a group 3 oil.
Group 3 has been proven. Also after it was out for awhile Harley did start recommending a different oil for the Primary and Transmission. That part is in the new owners manual. Oil will always be up to each person on how or what they feel comfortable with using. You will always be better off not to over think the oil debate. If you plan on keeping your bike longer than a year then good luck, you can try different brands until one day you post hey this is what I use so should everyone else. LOL Just having some fun, now lets ride and enjoy the day.

The following users liked this post:
Notgrownup (03-10-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 06:52 PM
badcooky
Banned

I have my oil favorites from over 40 years of being on cycles and racing bikes and cars SYN3 isn't one of them , all I want to know is is it a true full synthetic.
I'm leaning with that article to a no vote.
Cheers man.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:07 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

SYN 3 is a full synthetic oil purchased from one of two vendors. Mobil one is one of them

Old 03-09-2018, 07:37 PM
badcooky
Banned

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
SYN 3 is a full synthetic oil purchased from one of two vendors. Mobil one is one of them
Where do I find that information man ?
I am after proof.
I have a proof that says it was from Citgo but not sure if it's current.

Last edited by badcooky; 03-09-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on the SYN-3, as filed with the Federal Government.
Manufactured by - Citgo Petroleum.
Composition section:

Component
CAS #
Concentration

(1) 1-Decene Homopolymer, hydrogenated
68037-01-4
50% - 70%

(2) Proprietary Ingredients
Proprietary Mixture
1% - 10%

(3) Polyisobutylene
9003-27-4
1% - 10%

(4) Distillates, Petroleum, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic
64742-54-7
0% - 20%

(5) Distillates, Petroleum, Solvent-Refined Heavy Paraffinic
64741-88-4
0% - 20%

(6) Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate
68649-42-3
0% - 2%

Old 03-09-2018, 10:53 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Since there are significant amounts of Group I and II oils in the SYN3, could the MoCo have stretched the definition of "synthetic" a bit further than Castrol did when changing Syntec from a PAO Group IV base to a hydrocracked Group III base?

Exxon/Mobil (Mobil 1 synthetic) lost a lawsuit trying to go after a few oil companies for advertising blends as full synthetic. Mobil lost. Consequently, the oil companies do not have to disclose on the label it contains Group I, II or III base stocks which are all petroleum based.

Therefore, it is certainly legal if not factually correct for Harley Davidson to market SYN3 as a full synthetic, even though it is only 60% synthetic with the remaining content being petroleum based. But in reality, SYN3 is more of a semi-synthetic. IMHO Harley Davidson ought to be more forthcoming about that fact rather than giving customers the false impression that SYN3 is a 100% synthetic lubricant which it CLEARLY is not.

If you want a fully synthetic oil, Mobil-1, RedLine or Amsoil might be better choices. However, Harley Davidson's own disclosure about bearing skid problems may mean that running a full synthetic in a Harley Davidson might be ill-advised.

cficole (03-14-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 12:33 AM
badcooky
Banned

Yea Idaho I have that exact same information in the link I provided but I genuinely believe it's pre- 2012 information now. Harley re-branded SYN3 since then and I want to know if it's the same composition.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:15 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Syn 3 is from Group III hydro-cracked oil. The vendor for HD is Citgo as stated above. Harley is dodgy about telling the truth about where things come from, ie ABS units from a Chinese company that are now under recall. Whether someone on the internet can provide you with more evidence than you already have is unlikely. Based on the information you have now; do you believe HD would suddenly start selling something of higher quality and keep the price the same ?

Castrol won the legal right to call a semi-synthetic "full synthetic" and HD is exploiting it. You have the MDS, the supplier and your experience with Harley's business model. If that isn't enough to convince you to buy something else, nothing will. As I've always said; "A thief will steal, a murderer will surely kill, but you never know where you stand with a liar."

cficole (03-14-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:56 AM
badcooky
Banned

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Syn 3 is from Group III hydro-cracked oil. The vendor for HD is Citgo as stated above. Harley is dodgy about telling the truth about where things come from, ie ABS units from a Chinese company that are now under recall. Whether someone on the internet can provide you with more evidence than you already have is unlikely. Based on the information you have now; do you believe HD would suddenly start selling something of higher quality and keep the price the same ?

Castrol won the legal right to call a semi-synthetic "full synthetic" and HD is exploiting it. You have the MDS, the supplier and your experience with Harley's business model. If that isn't enough to convince you to buy something else, nothing will. As I've always said; "A thief will steal, a murderer will surely kill, but you never know where you stand with a liar."
Yea man I get that SYN 3 was a semi synthetic and i have never liked the stuff myself and I have only used it once in over 30 years on HD's , my Amsoil is en route as I type that will now be my go to oil . What I am leaning to believe is that the oil may be exactly the same as it was before the re-badge, but I'd like to know.
That's all I want is to know , I would like proof of fact, that there's been no update in an MSDS to the oils composition after the re-badge suggests it is still the same oil that it always was ,but that's not a known , that's a presumed.

Campy Roadie (03-10-2018)

Quick Reply: Syn 3