Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

To those of you who run ATF in your primary

Old 04-05-2018, 03:02 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 144 Likes on 105 Posts

I did a 4x4 service on my truck. 6 speed manual with a manual transfer case. My engine makes just over 500hp at 800ft/lbs torque. And yes, that's just more than the stock clutch can hold. I figure if it's okay for my truck trans and transfer case, then it must be okay in the primary. Had some left over so I thought I'd try it (Amsoil OE synthetic Multi-Vehicle) in my primary. Works as advertised. Clutch feels good and no big clunk into first gear. If it's cold, I pull in the clutch for a few seconds before I put it in first. That big cluck is mostly gone. The truck trans doesn't have any sun/planetary gears either BTW, and the transfer case had a big assed chain in it, so these arguments are moot to the nay sayers.

The following users liked this post:
boomerguy (05-28-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 09:04 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 623 Posts

you have to go back to the engineering!
when designed, the engineer spec out the best option for lubrication in consideration of gear cut angles, clearance, bearing type and shear. a gear oil has hp additive to cushion the gearing and keep a film on the gear where as atf is not designed for that type of service. also, it has been said that gears chew up the molecular structure. also one has to deal with temperature issues, yep atf is more hydraulic in nature and will take quite a bit of heat but it does thin out and if it did not have anti-foaming agents, destruction is in short order. what happens when lube gets entrained with air, looses it ability to lubricate and heat will ensue. then there is the lube system, splash vs pressure. in an automatic, the pressure system is what makes it last, ensures constant lube and cooling, splash does not.
who has worked on old dipper rod engines??? get the picture, they usually handle small power and low speeds and they do not last long and the older machines used a soft bearing material, remember poured bearings, saves the crankshaft. when they rifle drilled the rod journals and pressurized it, the bearings changed and capability of the engine improved and lasted longer.
so there is a lot to think about.

Last edited by bustert; 04-07-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:48 AM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

There’s gears in the primary? (Sans the starter gear)

Old 04-10-2018, 11:29 AM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Saw an interesting post about Primary oil and its relation to the famous shift clunk.
I am running M1 4T in the primary and the clunk although never went away did become less. OK, I change fluid again but only had M1 v-twin 20W-50 so I put that in. First I thought that it was my imagination but the Clunk did increase. The post talked about how 20W-50 can cause just a little more drag on the clutch plates than the 10W40, It was not harming the clutch but did bring back the clunk. Could be why Harley switched out from using SYN 20W-50 from their primary. too many complaints about the clunk returning. I will be going back to 10W-40, anyone else notice any changes in clunk vs. oil weight? and yes W stands for winter I am referring to 40 vs. 50 50.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:22 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

Just an update a week after the fact and about 1,000mi later. I went ahead and put in the ATF I had and ran Lucas 20/50 in the engine and Lucas Gear in the trans. I will say the clutch drag if started in gear hot or cold is much less, and gets better by the mile, neutral is easier to find rolling or sitting and the first gear clunk is not gone but improved. Looks like I've found my fluid combo of choice for the TC.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:06 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Shuv
Just an update a week after the fact and about 1,000mi later. I went ahead and put in the ATF I had and ran Lucas 20/50 in the engine and Lucas Gear in the trans. I will say the clutch drag if started in gear hot or cold is much less, and gets better by the mile, neutral is easier to find rolling or sitting and the first gear clunk is not gone but improved. Looks like I've found my fluid combo of choice for the TC.
Another convert

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
Used Chevron dino Ford type "F" for years without a problem.
Yes, type f. No super special brand needed

Old 04-12-2018, 12:19 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

FYI, I'll probably change this fluid again this weekend with more of the same ATF. I wanna get all that engine oil that was in there gone! between running errands, hitting the odd back road and riding to work I'm averaging about 800-1000mi a week right now. An oil change is usually every 6 weeks. I plan on doing trans and primary every other engine oil change.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:26 PM
Eastcoast Jim
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

On my 03 RK - 95" w/ cams, compression & headwork I ran Dexron ATF in the primary for 150K miles. At that time I put in a Barnett extra plate clutch and a AIM lock up , I now have about 200 K miles and am still on the original primary chain & comp sprocket. - Eastcoast Jim

Old 05-28-2018, 06:15 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by harkon
I did a 4x4 service on my truck. 6 speed manual with a manual transfer case. My engine makes just over 500hp at 800ft/lbs torque. And yes, that's just more than the stock clutch can hold. I figure if it's okay for my truck trans and transfer case, then it must be okay in the primary. Had some left over so I thought I'd try it (Amsoil OE synthetic Multi-Vehicle) in my primary. Works as advertised. Clutch feels good and no big clunk into first gear. If it's cold, I pull in the clutch for a few seconds before I put it in first. That big cluck is mostly gone. The truck trans doesn't have any sun/planetary gears either BTW, and the transfer case had a big assed chain in it, so these arguments are moot to the nay sayers.
My owner's manual for my 2002 Ford F-150 pickup truck's 5-speed manual transmission specifies full synthetic ATF. Amsoil recommends their Amsoil OE full synthetic Multi-Vehicle for my truck and that's what I've been using with great results. This Amsoil ATF meets the Dex/Merc spec's which seems to go against a lot of this forum's members who recommend Type F instead but they don't say why. I've been watching Delboy's Garage videos and he recommends ATF (he doesn't specify a particular brand or type) instead of the V-twin motor oil in the primary because of its anti-foaming ability. It appears to me that the Amsoil OE Multi-Vehicle is a good choice. If it works in the truck's manual transmission, it seems that it should work in another manual transmission which is also splash-lubricated.
I'm in the process of buying a 2003 Sportster 1200 and the first thing I plan to do is change all the fluids.

Last edited by boomerguy; 05-28-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To those of you who run ATF in your primary