Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

To those of you who run ATF in your primary

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 11:26 AM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default ATF type F

Originally Posted by boomerguy
My owner's manual for my 2002 Ford F-150 pickup truck's 5-speed manual transmission specifies full synthetic ATF. Amsoil recommends their Amsoil OE full synthetic Multi-Vehicle for my truck and that's what I've been using with great results. This Amsoil ATF meets the Dex/Merc spec's which seems to go against a lot of this forum's members who recommend Type F instead but they don't say why. I've been watching Delboy's Garage videos and he recommends ATF (he doesn't specify a particular brand or type) instead of the V-twin motor oil in the primary because of its anti-foaming ability. It appears to me that the Amsoil OE Multi-Vehicle is a good choice. If it works in the truck's manual transmission, it seems that it should work in another manual transmission which is also splash-lubricated.
I'm in the process of buying a 2003 Sportster 1200 and the first thing I plan to do is change all the fluids.
I have used both Dexron and type F ATF and there is a difference albeit small. I live near Palm Springs and when I go there and my bagger gets smoking
hot finding neutral is easier when using regular dino type F from Mobil. Just my experience.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Essthreetee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

I just changed my fluid and decided to try B&M Trick Shift in the primary. It could just be a “sugar pill” effect, but it seems to shift better and run quieter. I don’t know if it is possible, but...that is what I am getting out of it.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:38 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

I have tried type F, ATF 4, Dextron 3 and Dextron 6. So far I like teh 6 the best. The type F and ATF 4 were very similar in a 'grabby' sort of way, the Dex 3 gave a more even 'slip' when engaging, and the Dex 6 makes this a lot smoother.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:45 AM
diverherb
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cars/trucks use hyd. clutches not centrifugal clutches, there are some that also use reg, gears along with sun/anulus gear setups and some transfer cases use chains along with straight cut gears. A lot of these use trans fluid to make them shift easier and smoother. ATF has excellent shear strength and great cooling characteristics.
The only real issue to look for is the type or atf you use and do not use atf designed for cvt trans. as there is very little friction modifiers.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
I use Mobil 1 syn ATF with 4 ounces of Lubeguard highly friction modified ATF supplement. Do a search here on Lubeguard.

Smooth shifting, no cold start klank, zero comp wear in thousands of miles.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
hi, I know this is an older thread but curious about this Lubeguard. I’m still on the fence about using atf in my primary but would there be similar benefits to using Lubeguard along with syn3 or even amsoil primary?
thanks,
ken

Old 12-04-2018, 09:29 AM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

I put some lubegaurd in auto trans, to me it seamed more like a cleaner than a lubricant.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 941 Posts

I changed out my clutch this year with an Energy One kit. They recommended B&M trick shift fluid.....That is what I used and have had no issues

Old 12-04-2018, 02:21 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Weeboy1

hi, I know this is an older thread but curious about this Lubeguard. I’m still on the fence about using atf in my primary but would there be similar benefits to using Lubeguard along with syn3 or even amsoil primary?
thanks,
ken
I don't know how well LG would mix with any other lubricants.

The combination I recommend is easily found at any auto parts store

For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 12-04-2018, 02:22 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by xcbullet
I put some lubegaurd in auto trans, to me it seamed more like a cleaner than a lubricant.
The purpose of the LG in the primary is to help the clutch plates separate & spin freely.

For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Old 12-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 587 Posts

Thanks, I’ll give ur recipe a try.

Quick Reply: To those of you who run ATF in your primary