Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

M8 Breather bypass

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 08:31 AM
sarge-glide
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default M8 Breather bypass

I'm looking for options to install an breather bypass (perhaps catch-can).

I have a AN Big Sucker with stock cover. Since the stage 2 upgrade, i'm getting tired of wiping the oil off the right side stuff.

Any suggestions? Pics of what you've done would be nice. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:37 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by sarge-glide
I'm looking for options to install an breather bypass (perhaps catch-can).

I have a AN Big Sucker with stock cover. Since the stage 2 upgrade, i'm getting tired of wiping the oil off the right side stuff.

Any suggestions? Pics of what you've done would be nice. Thanks.
This Picture is showing a Ness Big Sucker Air Cleaner that has our Sano Black Air Cleaner Cover-

This is our DIY Catch Can External Breather System. DIY being "Do-It-Yourself" since this kit does require drilling and tapping into the standoffs.

Since the standoffs are part of the back plate for that air cleaner, a bolt on kit wouldn't work and the DIY would be the only option for venting externally with that A/C.

Here's a pic of the kit with catch can and standard black hose(Stainless Braided hose is an option as well as black catch can)-

Here's a LINK to this kit. You can see the installation instructions and videos there in that link.

Hope to have been some help! Feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email with any questions you may have.

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 04-15-2018, 08:11 PM
sarge-glide
Advanced

I lowered the oil level to 4 dots from the bottom on the stick and it seems to have done the trick. Rode about 100 miles this weekend and no ooze from the AC.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:40 AM
soulpatch
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Lower your oil a few ounces, that will help a bit. I also did a crank vent. (2) ss 1/8" npt to 1/4" parker fittings on outside. 1/4" stainless steel tube and just ran straight down. On the inside under the filter, tapped the two breather holes and installed two set screws with RED loctite. I worked in the automotive prototype powertrain industry for years (both as a tech and as an ME). Venting that crap into the throttle body is not good on engines. My original design I had welded up an aluminum catch bottle and ran braided lines to it. But got tired of emptying the bottle. So this is the second version. Easy and i'm not cleaning oil mist from the side of the bike anymore.

Last edited by soulpatch; 05-28-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:29 AM
sarge-glide
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I'll be trying a DK customs external breather for now. Two catch cans behind the airbox. See how that goes...

Old 04-19-2020, 09:18 AM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master
Received 511 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by soulpatch
Lower your oil a few ounces, that will help a bit. I also did a crank vent. (2) ss 1/8" npt to 1/4" parker fittings on outside. 1/4" stainless steel tube and just ran straight down. On the inside under the filter, tapped the two breather holes and installed two set screws with RED loctite. I worked in the automotive prototype powertrain industry for years (both as a tech and as an ME). Venting that crap into the throttle body is not good on engines. My original design I had welded up an aluminum catch bottle and ran braided lines to it. But got tired of emptying the bottle. So this is the second version. Easy and i'm not cleaning oil mist from the side of the bike anymore.
I realize this is an old thread but gotta say that's slick! Great craftsmanship! Just installed a heavy breather during my cam install and am brainstorming the best way to do this.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:56 PM
soulpatch
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks, was a simple thing to do and wanted to post it so that others could duplicate it. Like I said in my post, was a power train prototype engineer and tech for over 20 years. Venting that crap into your engine is the worst thing you can do. HD knows it, but their hands are tied because of the laws. Same reason you can still buy an aftermarket fuel control system but not from HD.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:18 PM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I installed the arlen ness big sucka around 3 years ago. Although I found it to work great , I still once and a while had to wipe some oil from the bottom of the air cleaner. I drilled and tapped the arlen ness mount ran two hoses down to a tee and then to a oil trap/can. No more oil being dumped in the throttle body, thats a good thing. I do however have to empty the can every 2000 or so miles but thats a good trade off for a clean throttle body. Please disregard the cheap hose clamp I will some day install a better clamp.

Last edited by 1340hog; 04-20-2020 at 12:20 PM.