Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

oil Bled from tank to crankcase early evo 1340cc

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 03:39 PM
Derek Socalsinnershiner Matteson's Avatar
Derek Socalsinnershiner Matteson
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil Bled from tank to crankcase early evo 1340cc

hey guys I just inherited my grandfathers 1984 flt with the early 1340cc evo engine. I’ve heard that when these sit a prolonged need time the oil drains from the tank to the crankcase and needs to be removed before trying to fire the engine. With that said I cannot find a drain plug and was hoping someone can lead me in the right direction towards getting it drained. (The bike sat about 4 years)

Old 04-07-2018, 03:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,899 Likes on 17,470 Posts

First welcome to the forums, second there is no drainplug for the crankcase, can't remember off hand how the oil lines & breather were routed on the 84's but I would put a large pan under the bike when you do start it the first time. Have some rag's and oil dry for the floor handy as you will be doing a little clean up. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
First welcome to the forums, second there is no drainplug for the crankcase, can't remember off hand how the oil lines & breather were routed on the 84's but I would put a large pan under the bike when you do start it the first time. Have some rag's and oil dry for the floor handy as you will be doing a little clean up. Good luck.
ok thank you

Old 04-09-2018, 09:56 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

check to see how much oil is in the oil tank, if there's oil on the stick, just start it up. it will drain the crankcase by itself. have a pan ready to catch any oil pumped out. after the oil stops draining, shut the motor off and check the oil in the oil tank again.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:00 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

Top it off, and park it over a fire ant bed you're trying to get rid of when you start it. My old Shovel and Evo will both do this when let sit for a while. Which sadly has happened more and more since I got my TC touring bike.

a pair of hose clamp pliers on the oil line will solve this as well

Amazon Amazon

Ive been known to tie a piece of surveyors flagging tape on them before I start the bike. Don't wanna leave those things on there. And you don't have to clamp them down tight enough to damage the hose either. Just a little pressure does the trick.

Last edited by 67Shuv; 04-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

There is no guarantee that your bike will have filled its sump. First of all simply check the level in the oil tank. Do NOT add any if the level is low! You may have several things to do prior to trying to start the engine, such as a good battery, with clean and sound connectors, clean carb etc.

You can consider removing the spark plugs to turn the engine over with the starter and check the oil return in the oil tank. If the level was low then you can probably clear the sump that way, prior to refitting the plugs and starting it up.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bagga
check to see how much oil is in the oil tank, if there's oil on the stick, just start it up. it will drain the crankcase by itself. have a pan ready to catch any oil pumped out. after the oil stops draining, shut the motor off and check the oil in the oil tank again.
the tank is empty. I’m sure it’s all in the case

Old 04-09-2018, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
There is no guarantee that your bike will have filled its sump. First of all simply check the level in the oil tank. Do NOT add any if the level is low! You may have several things to do prior to trying to start the engine, such as a good battery, with clean and sound connectors, clean carb etc.

You can consider removing the spark plugs to turn the engine over with the starter and check the oil return in the oil tank. If the level was low then you can probably clear the sump that way, prior to refitting the plugs and starting it up.
the tank is completely empty. I asked a service tech at my local dealership he said pull the plug wires and crank it over. I’ve already changed trans and primary oils and cleaned the carb. I definitely need a battery just wasn’t %100 sure how to go about getting the engine oil out

Old 04-09-2018, 06:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,899 Likes on 17,470 Posts

Make that a large pan under the bike , you have no idea the mess 3qts of oil makes on a concrete floor.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Make that a large pan under the bike , you have no idea the mess 3qts of oil makes on a concrete floor.
haha oh trust me I do I’m a mechanic for a pipeline company I’ve seen anywhere from 1-40 qts on a concrete floor but thanks I will make sure to take precautions

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (04-10-2018)