Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Change Problems, Confusion and Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:19 PM
tnichols
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
Quick question. Was the bike fully warmed up before you drained it? If not, you won’t get all the engine oil out. The reason the engine drain plug is in the back is because that’s where the remote oil tank is. It doesn’t have an oil pan like a car. If you check you oil when the bike is hot, right after you shut it off, it should read at the full hot mark. If you check it cold, it’ll read a half quart low or so. That’s because as the bike sits some of the oil in the tank drains down into the sump. It really isn’t complicated at all. Ride the bike, get it good and hot and immediately drain the oil tank. And don’t forget to remove the filler cap first. As for the oil filter, it’s too bad the trained monkeys at the factory put yours on too tight but **** happens. It’s easy to do if you’re not careful.
Thanks for your response.

The oil was hot when I drained it. Maybe 200 degrees hot. We just did 50+ miles on the bike and pulled it in and drained all three plugs. But I only got 3.5 quarts tops. Should have been close to 5.0 quarts. So where is that extra 1.5 quarts? Everything was very hot.

Yes, I agree, this should not be so complicated. Its an oil change.

So now I don't know if I have a full clean oil fill or it I am a mixture of old and new oil.

You pull the plug. Wait for the oil to drain out, Put the plug back in and fill with new oil This is not rocket science.

The problem is only 1.5 quarts came out and it was hot. Did Harley change the 2017 Twin Cam? I did check the level before I did the drain, and it was right at the full line hot. Maybe there is two drain plugs for the engine and I only pulled one of them. I don't know.

That explains why I put in 2.5 quarts on new oil as directed in the manual, it was way overfilled.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:31 PM
tnichols
Advanced

So I now check the oil level hot and it one X over the full hot level. Should I be worried about one X over the full level? How many X's are there in a quart? I don't know. I am so frustrated with this thing, I am about ready to stick it in the back of the garage, throw a cover over it and hope it goes away. You should not need a PHD to change the oil. I am going riding on my sportster.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:58 PM
tnichols
Advanced

As for the oil filter, it’s too bad the trained monkeys at the factory put yours on too tight but **** happens. It’s easy to do if you’re not careful.
Mine was made at the Kansas City factory. The one that is being closed. Not sure when they put the oil filter on the engine. Maybe they put it on at the engine factory. Who knows?

Old 05-30-2018, 11:23 PM
tnichols
Advanced

The reason the engine drain plug is in the back is because that’s where the remote oil tank is. It doesn’t have an oil pan like a car.
If it is just a oil tank, then it probably does not really matter if it a bit overfilled? I wonder why Harley makes a big deal about not overfill? They have printed on the dip stick DO NOT OVERFILL?

Old 05-30-2018, 11:29 PM
tnichols
Advanced

Primary over flowing.

Will not hold 34 oz as specified in the manual.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:31 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Is that level or on the jiffy stand? If it’s level that’s definitely too much. 34 oz. is an approximation. Your manual should also have a diagram showing you how to check the primary level. My 17 Heritage takes 32 oz. but I could probably get by with a few ounces less. At 32 she’s almost too full.

And yes, there are two engine oil drain plugs. One is for the oil tank and the other is for the sump. You’re not supposed to remove that one. You didn’t did you?

Old 05-31-2018, 07:56 AM
tnichols
Advanced

Is that level or on the jiffy stand? If it’s level that’s definitely too much. 34 oz. is an approximation. Your manual should also have a diagram showing you how to check the primary level. My 17 Heritage takes 32 oz. but I could probably get by with a few ounces less. At 32 she’s almost too full.

And yes, there are two engine oil drain plugs. One is for the oil tank and the other is for the sump. You’re not supposed to remove that one. You didn’t did you?
i had the bike on the jiffy stand for all operations and level checks.

My owners manual say 34 oz wet and 38 oz dry. But it would not hold 34 oz. The manual did not say anything about standing the bike upright.

I only removed one engine drain plug. The one at the rear of the bike.

I followed the manual to the t. That was probably my problem. I think the manual is wrong. I should not have done the cold oil level check. That was misleading. That showed the engine had a quart plus overfilled. But it was not. Draining the new oil off was a mistake. The manual says not to start the bike if the engine is too full of oil.
​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​

Old 05-31-2018, 08:18 AM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't stress so much. Drain the oil and add 2.5 quarts. Run it a couple minutes and top off to the hot level. The primary will never take as much as the manual states. Get bike level and fill to bottom of spring. Might be about 30-32ozs on your bike.