Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Basics, Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Korbenw7p3c
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default where's the oil go?

Stop riding it! It sounds like you drained out the primary or possibly the tranny fluid. Get online and find a schematic of the locations of the drain plugs and correct the oil capacities. I'm guessing that you have ridden it, (even shortly) without oil on one of the two I've mentioned above. Good grief, check it out and let us know!!!

It would seem that all the oil didn't drain out? When I pulled the drain plug I let the pan drain for ay least 10 minutes intil it stopped draining and some of the time I was on it to hold the bike vertical some more might drain out. I pulled the filter like last time with the bike on the kick stand so it would also drain out. Not as much came out of the filter hole as I remembered last time, but I did let it drain over 10 minutes.

So do I just ride it and frequently check the oil level? Any suggestions are appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Old 06-19-2011, 09:09 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Getting all the oil out...

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 06-19-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:36 PM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Default Oil Change 07 2007 Harley Ultra Classic "Where did all the Oil Go?

The first time I changed mine... I took the mag plug\oil screw out (this plug is on left side of the bottem of the motor block facing forward you lay down on the right side of the bike to get to it) and started draining. Four quarts didn't come out... I thought what the hell... where did it go... The dipstick was still in and screwed down. I pulled it out and another quart came out... I guess it wern't vented so it couldn't drain... Then I removed the oil filter (Part # DS 275108) and some more came out. The Oil Filter sill had about half a quart in it also. I have an 07 2007 Harley Ultra Classic. The Oil Filter is a bitch to get to. You have to use a strap wrench to get it off. That is basicly a nylon strap about one inch wide attached to the end of a metal tube. You put the strap around the filter and roll the bar til the strap loop gets tight around the filter and torques it off... When you do this cut a piece of twelve pack carton to make a U shaped chute to put under the filter that will carry the oil that comes out to your drain pan. It helps to have another person around to hold the cardboard chute but I have done it myself. The Oil Filter is on the front of the motor on the left side. I got highway pegs which block access even more... If you don't use the chute the oil will come out of the filter and splash all over your frame in front of the engine. I put a plastic garbage can lid under this process to catch any wayward dribbles. They say only hand tight the oil filter but I can't get my hand on it good so I get it tight with my finger tips then a quarter turn with the strap wrench. The Oil Drain Plug, the Tranny Transmission Drain Plug and the Primary Drain Plug are all look the same and are the same size bolt. The Oil is on the left side of bottem of the block facing forward.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain

I'm gonna take a new one but I grabbed this pic off this forum somewhere.

Attached Thumbnails  Oil Basics, Part 1-drain-plugs.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Eagle110 (01-17-2020)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Alexander077
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great information about oils. Thanks for sharing. I have never see before someone emphasize on the oils but you explained it very well.

Last edited by Alexander077; 09-17-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM
ArthurNMH
6th Gear

Thanks

Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 PM
BknBlk5150
Stage II
Default Service Recommendation

Thanks for all the great info about oil. I have a quick question. I had the 5000 mile service done 3 years ago but haven't even put that many miles on it since the service, more like 2000. Because it's been 3 years should I have that service performed again?
Thanks

Old 09-28-2014, 09:21 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switching Oil

Just bought a 2010 Heritage 1850 miles, has synthetic oil in it now will it hurt to switch back to non synthetic?

thanks

Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 AM
buckrider
Stage I

look for it on youtube, they have good tutorials

Old 04-01-2015, 11:17 AM
FatBoyJason
2nd Gear
Default Newbie misstake - am I going to destroy my bike?

I'm 200 miles over due for my 25,000 mile service on my 2001 Fatboy. It's an expensive service (because it includes inspecting and probably replacing the fuel filter) so I've been putting it off. I'm pretty inexperienced with doing anything to bike myself put I do get it serviced every 5,000 like clockwork. Worried that I was over due for an oil change I decide to check the oil level (ashamed to admit it's only like the 2nd or 3rd time I've ever done that) and it was below the fill mark. Knowing I was going to be riding for another couple of hundred miles before my service I thought - well **** better fill that up! I went to Autozone (I know, I know) and put in a quart of Valvoline 20W-50W synthetic blend. I know, I know - bad idea right?. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure the oil that was in there already was a full synthetic 50W (I live in a warm climate)

So - am I destroying my bike by riding for a couple of hundred miles or should I garage it until I can afford a proper oil change?

Quick Reply: Oil Basics, Part 1