Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Not an oil thread, but..

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 05:04 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts
Old 07-31-2018, 05:12 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Moved to the Oil section because it's about oil!!!!

Old 07-31-2018, 05:25 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Originally Posted by kevjo
I addressed the oil usage at last service and the tech said it would slow down on consumption as it breaks in. My 103 used very little oil with 65,000 on the clock. Any thoughts? Thanks.
The OP came here asking for some help, but the oil babblers turned his thread into a discussion of what oil is best, imagine that.
That crap does nothing to help the OP...

OP:
Forget changing brands of oil, you have an internal engine issue.
The engine is long past break in.
Warranty time, bring it to the dealer and get them moving to solve your problem.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-31-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:29 PM
Kingglide549
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
The OP came here asking for some help, but the oil babblers turned his thread into a discussion of what oil is best, imagine that.
That crap does nothing to help the OP...

OP:
Forget changing brands of oil, you have an internal engine issue.
The engine is long past break in.
Warranty time, bring it to the dealer and get them moving to solve your problem.
How can ya help someone if ya don't educate them?
No one has predicted the demise or the resurrection of said engine parts or their TBO based on syn oil or dino oil.
It was/is that simple!
But their merits were being shown the best I/we know how , -without just trumping a card that says do this or that.
Oh, by the way, that's exactly what you did
That is how oil wars go.
To jump in and make an accusation of a police action is either arrogance or ignorance on your part as it has not happened.
Follow the sequence here.
If there is a set of blabber lips flapping perhaps they are yours?
Perhaps comprehension my be a problem for you?
Context, context.

Last edited by Kingglide549; 07-31-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:02 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Funny how quick this turned into an oil thread. I guess he had it coming since he did mention possibly switching to Amsoil. Nothing against Amsoil. I’ve run it before in a Twin Cam and my consumption actually increased a little but not enough to worry about. I also ran Syn3 in all 3 holes for a while. My only complaint there was I got more fuzzies than normal on my trans and primary drain plugs. It seemed to do just fine in the engine. Ran a little hotter than Amsoil and Lucas but no problem with consumption. All that to say, if you’re losing a quart every 1000 they don’t make an oil that will stop that. Switching to dino is probably a good idea if you can’t figure out what’s wrong with it. Of course it depends on how much you ride. I run about 20k a year. My bike doesn’t use any oil. If it used a quart every 1000 that Amsoil would get expensive at a quart and a half a month.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:07 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
So, if Harley has said that it's normal to use a qt. every 1000 miles, or between regular servicings (5K?), have they ever said why? Or what advantage a motor designed in such a way that this is acceptable use, brings to the table over one that doesn't use oil to this degree? Surely they must have had a reason to build this into the M8?.?
Originally Posted by rjacobs
1 qt. per thousand miles is about industry standard. Talking automotive as well here.
I've been changing my own oil for 45 years and have never owned a car or truck that used 1qt. per 1000 miles. My 2013 Outback would use a qt. between changes but that was way more miles than 1K between qts. I'm curious as to where your info comes from. From what I've seen oil comsumption in cars has increased with the 0w-20 synthetics but other than that I just haven't seen or heard of such high consumption.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:07 PM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
I've been changing my own oil for 45 years and have never owned a car or truck that used 1qt. per 1000 miles. I'm curious as to where your info comes from.
Sorry I wasnt very clear.

I personally dont think an engine should use much of ANY oil ever...

BUT the industry standard for engines using oil seems to be 1qt per 1000 miles is considered "normal". Any more than that and its generally considered excessive and "an issue". Do some googling on it, I just did and found quite a few hits. BMW's limit is like 1 qt in 750 miles.

Again, personally, I dont like to see an engine burn or lose in some manner, any oil in between changes.

The following users liked this post:
iHodor (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:48 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Thanks RJ, that makes more sense to me. Manufacturers allowing themselves some wiggle room just in case, while in practice they generally build good things that work as they should, and have a tendency not to consume oil.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:02 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

The idea of there being a "pure synthetic" vs a "synthetic blend" is probably misleading. I'm pretty sure that ALL modern motor oils are a blend of base oils and various additives. Additives being chemicals that retard corrosion, provide high pressure lubrication, hold contaminants in solution, etc etc.

It is the additive packages that make motor oils appropriate to various applications. The base oils are, according to what I've read, the same among the oils. It is the additive packages that vary.

The word "synthetic" carries marketing connotations. And the way motor oils are marketed, it is clear to me that the marketing plans play to "man world" where there are such things as little golden liquid ball bearings in the oil.

On top of it all, Amsoil is marketed in the same way that Amway is done.

I'm not criticizing Amsoil, or any other brand. I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of marketing terminologies floating around that have nothing to do with lubrication.

Any engine oil blended for a large air-cooled motor that doesn't share oil with the transmission should be fine. More specifically, the oil recommended by the manufacturer of the motorcycle is probably the best way to go. It will be blended to order by the people who designed and build the machine. Harley doesn't make motor oil, but it specifies the additive package.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Kingglide549
Banned

Oil usage is a poor choice of choice of test to know where the engine is at.
But for our purposes we will say factory built to fact specs with aunt Mables standard 30 lb ring pack.
OK- that engine should not use much oil and it does not matter what is used dino pr syn.
Viscosity is viscosity.
If you are going through a qt of oil per 1000 miles, there is something HORRIBLY wrong in a stock configuration
Hell, I go through a QT in 1500 to 2000 with a pretty hopped up engine and a 12-pound ring pack!

Quick Reply: Not an oil thread, but..