Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

NO OIL UP TOP BUT,.. have oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:39 PM
justgliding99
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO OIL UP TOP BUT,.. have oil pressure

I previously built a 107” for my 2003 Heritage while still using almost all previous parts except, flywheel. I did replace ALL new parts such as gaskets, O rings, bearings etc as well as a new balancer assembly, also installed the timken bearing on the wheel and set play at 0.002”. Problem is, I can’t seem to get oil up top! I did install a NEW SE oil pump and plate just to see if that was the problem but seemed to not have helped! I do have a oil pressure gauge that reads 60lbs plus when I first fire it up and, I had the rocker covers off to see if I was getting any oil after the new SE pump and did see very little oil coming out of holes in the rocker arms so, put it together and, took it for a spin when all of a sudden oil cap blows off so decided to look again in the rocker area and, low and behold very very little oil in there!!! Any help would greatly be appreciated and helpful. Thanks Justin

Old 08-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

It take a while for oil to get the top end on a new assembly. Pushrods and rockers need to fill up. You won't get a bunch of oil up there but it really depends on the lifters. Oil is metered by the lifter and not pumped so if you have pressure and the lifters ain't rattling you get oil but it may take some time. The top will get more oil as the motor oil heats up.

One thing that is important on assembly is that the rockers and valve area are pre-lubed. I've seen guy seize rockers on shafts with not enough lube.

You might want to post over in the engine area if you want more responses. You'll likely get some good responses and some not so good like asking if you adjusted the pushrods correctly. If the motor is starts and is quiet pushrods are close enough.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:19 PM
justgliding99
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks headflow, I did pre lube very well on everything and even took the bike out for a 30 min spin. Pulled the covers and, hardly any oil but, enough to keep the springs and pushrod/rocker cups lubed

Old 08-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by justgliding99
Thanks headflow, I did pre lube very well on everything and even took the bike out for a 30 min spin. Pulled the covers and, hardly any oil but, enough to keep the springs and pushrod/rocker cups lubed
You won't see much on a hot motor.. Heat will quickly allow the oil to drain down. It's more of a gentile mist. Light coat is all it needs, Too much and you have problems with the head breathers. Oil temp also goes up.