Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Question from newb for all three holes

Old 07-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Rowdy25
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Question from newb for all three holes

Just picked up an 02 super glide sport with 3500 miles on it for a song. Bike has sat for a year so the local dealer advised me to change all three fluids. The previouse owner said that at the bikes 1000 mile sevice the fluids wher changed to synthetics. Heres whereI got confused. I go to the local dealer and ask what I need to change all the fluids. I advised him that I have the full service manual for my bike and I want to sevice it myself. For 70$ he gives me an oil filter, two gaskets and 5 quarts of 20/50 synthetic oil. I asked the parts guy why I had 5 of the same oil for all three holes and he told me that I can use the same oil in the engine/tranny/gearcase. Wow how easy. I go home, change the old oil, BTW it looked awefull. Easy enough. So now I go to the tranny. Something told me before I drain the tranny let me check the fluid level first. Oh boy I hit a brick wall now!! Theres gear oil in there!!! What do I do now??? Obviosly the previouse owner didnt have the bike change over to syn. Who do I trust now?? The dealer insists on using the same oil in all three places, and info on this forum says use gear oil in the tranny only?? Now im afraid to look in the primary cover, who knows what kind of oil is in there?? BTW the service manual says to use two other numbers for the tranny and primary. Whos right?? the dealer or the manual???

Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Oil Question from newb for all three holes

I'm guessing they sold you Syn3? Harley has followed Amsoil's lead in the one oil for all 3 holes. Many here use the HD Syn3 in all 3 holes, andas well many here use the Amsoil MC 20/50 in all 3 holes. I tried the Amsoil 20/50in my old 99 and wasn't happy with it the Tranny at all. I'm just not sold on the one Oil fits all 3 HOLES concept. Maybe it's different on the new bikes. I use Amsoil MC 20/50 in the engine, Bel Ray 85-140 Hypoid gear oil in the tranny and ATF in the primary. This I found is the best combo for MY bike. Use the Syn3 and see what you think. You won't hurt anything by using it

Old 07-15-2007, 11:39 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

damn......thought we were gonna talk about a three input WOMAN, when I saw the thread title......

Personally, I am a bit leary about the 1 Oil, 3 uses thing. I prefer using "use" specific fluids. Syn3 in tranny and primary, fine...I use motor oil in the engine tho

Old 07-16-2007, 01:40 AM
bear95252
Cruiser

Just for clarification sake.. AMSOIL followed Harley's lead.. Not the other way around. AMSOIL has always recommended SVG 75/90 for the trans until Harley started to recommend SYN3 for all three holes. AMSOIL still recommends SVG as a second choice.. In My Humble Opinion ATF is to light for the Primary (10 weight.) AMSOIL tech support also does not recommend ATF for the Primary. If it works for you then thats a good thing.

My personal choice is 20/50 in the Engine, SVG 75/90 in the Transmission and 10/40 in the primary. 75/140 in the 07 Transmissions.

Bear

Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Other choices would be Mobile One, using gear oil in the tranny OR Redline.

MyOil Shop now offers Redline "Power Packs" with everything you need and, IMHO, a great choice since their oil is a Group V synthetic, the best available.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redline13a.htm

IF you operate in hot temperatures most of the time, you might consider the 20/60 power pack.

BTW, even Harley has changed from the same oil in all three holes for 06 and on. My 06 TCA motors owners manual calls for their trans. lube in the tranny and primary. I use Redline though because I believe it is a better choice.

EZ

Old 07-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking as a mechanic, I'd say that Syn3 in all three holes is OK. Harley engineers said it was OK, and no one knows better than them.
However, the latest recommendation from Harley is to usemotor oil (Syn3, H-D 360, etc.)in the engine and H-D Formula + should be used in the primary and transmission.
That is what I would use.

That the previous owner used gear oil in the tranny isn't unusual, and it isn't detrimental to the transmission. Some folks use gear oil,some use motor oil, and others use Formula +.

I would also recommendreplacing the o-rings that are found on all three drain plugs. They're cheap and chances are you won't be able to reuse the old ones.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:43 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

Any decent 20w50 for hot weather useage and 10w40 for cold weather useage. I use 20w50 in the warm months and 15w40 in the winter months. Synthetic or dino.....your call.

The primary can take just about anything in there. I would avoid any oil labeled with "energy conservation" though. Those oils tend to be light oils such as 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30. For the most part, any 10w40 or higher work just fine. I personaly use 15w40 in there and it works fine. Some use ATF, however I am not sold on that idea. It seems too thin and the open bearing in the primary needs lubrication. Dino works just as good as the expensive synthetic stuff in there.

Transmission though.....definately use gear lube. As for grades, that is not all that critical....just as long as gear lube is used. I personally use any 80w90 GL5 in my HD transmissions.

This comes from my nearly 30+ years with Harleys.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Navychief
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm testing the Amsoil waters for my 10K service. 20W-50 for the motoe, Severs gear oil in the tranny and I have 1 qt of syn-3 i had left over from the 5K that I'll use in the primary. You'll find opinions about oil usage and especially brands to be extremely varied in this forum.

Old 09-14-2022, 03:00 PM
Charles F
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan1724
I'm guessing they sold you Syn3? Harley has followed Amsoil's lead in the one oil for all 3 holes. Many here use the HD Syn3 in all 3 holes, andas well many here use the Amsoil MC 20/50 in all 3 holes. I tried the Amsoil 20/50in my old 99 and wasn't happy with it the Tranny at all. I'm just not sold on the one Oil fits all 3 HOLES concept. Maybe it's different on the new bikes. I use Amsoil MC 20/50 in the engine, Bel Ray 85-140 Hypoid gear oil in the tranny and ATF in the primary. This I found is the best combo for MY bike. Use the Syn3 and see what you think. You won't hurt anything by using it
what kind of transmission fluid do you use can I put it in my 2001 Softail Deuce with a 5-speed??

Old 09-14-2022, 03:02 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,490 Likes on 4,407 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles F
what kind of transmission fluid do you use can I put it in my 2001 Softail Deuce with a 5-speed??
if he replies to your question on his 15 year old post I'd be shocked

The following users liked this post:
NorthWestern (09-15-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Question from newb for all three holes