Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

leaking oil everywhere on start up...help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:59 PM
harry64chevy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking oil everywhere on start up...help!!!

Ok i have a 92 softail and after the bike sitting for 6 months i went out today to start it and the thing started gushing oil out everywhere. It seems to be comming out of the right side but not 100% sure. Any help would be great! thanx again

Old 07-19-2007, 02:51 PM
zoomie67
Tourer
Default RE: leaking oil everywhere on start up...help!!!

Oil probably drained down to the bottom of the motor. Start the bike it builds pressure in the motor before all the oil can get pumped back into the bag. Oil get pushed out the breathers.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

'92's were crankcase breathers. after they sit for a while oil will seep into the crankcase past a checkball in the oil pump. when you start it the flywheel spins all that oil around and it comes out the breather hose.next time find the hose,put a pan under the bike to catch the oil then pour it back in the oil tank when it stops comming out.. let it warm up, check the level then go for a ride.my buddys bike does the same thing. If he rides it alot it doesnt do it as much.,,

Old 07-19-2007, 03:18 PM
zoomie67
Tourer

Well there ya go, I don't know much about the shovels & EVO's.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:43 PM
harry64chevy
Stage III

I am really no mechanic...i was affraid i was going to blow the motor....What do you suggest it do? can i let it run? I mean the thing was puking oil all over my driveway....will it stop leaking by itself??

Old 07-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: harry64chevy
What do you suggest it do? can i let it run? I mean the thing was puking oil all over my driveway....will it stop leaking by itself??
Look 2 posts up from your last post,big cahuna told you what to do?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:42 AM
harry64chevy
Stage III

ORIGINAL: big cahuna

'92's were crankcase breathers. after they sit for a while oil will seep into the crankcase past a checkball in the oil pump. when you start it the flywheel spins all that oil around and it comes out the breather hose.next time find the hose,put a pan under the bike to catch the oil then pour it back in the oil tank when it stops comming out.. let it warm up, check the level then go for a ride.my buddys bike does the same thing. If he rides it alot it doesnt do it as much.,,
couple more dumb questions....but remember i am a new b.....where is the breather hose located? is it inside the air cleaner? and since its a breather hose its not attached to anything right? how long do you think it will take to stop leaking...a few minutes...just so i have a idea....one last question what kind of oil do you recomend....can i pick it up at local auto supplier....thanx for everyones help....

Old 07-20-2007, 03:05 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

well if your on the left side of your bike, look over the large shiny primary cover an there should be two short black hoses. one is on the top side of the trans and the other should be on the rear , behind the motor. that one is your breather hose from the crankcase. thats where the oil shoots out. under that hose is where you put the pan. as far as oil go to the dealer and get oil there as you may want to change it at some time and at least you'll get the right type of oil .20/50 wt will do the job.you might get a half to a qt of oil, but I doub't youll get more then that.it will stop after probably less then a minute. just keep the pan handy.if it does not stop at all you might need to get it to a shop to take a look at it.best I can tell you from here.,,,

Old 07-07-2017, 01:56 PM
tkaman2
Stage II
Default same problem with 1980 Harley Electraglide FLH 80

I'm experiencing the same problem with my 1980 Electraglide FLH. I replaced the oil pump last year, and yesterday when I started it for the first time this year it dumped about 1/2 to 3/4 qt of oil. I figured it might so luckily I had a pan under it. Is there any way to stop this from happening? Or is it just an expected thing after the bike sits for a while without being started?