Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

checking fluid levels

Old 09-07-2007, 11:18 AM
depasman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checking fluid levels

Hey there people I need some advice, I bought my first Harley and it's an 03 dyna wide glide 88ci. How do I properly check the fluid levels and change the oil.. Guess I have to buy a manual... Love the bike..

Old 09-07-2007, 01:25 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Default RE: checking fluid levels

I had an 04 Wideglide so I am familiar.

Oil capacity 3qts. measured hot with bike on the sidestand at full mark on the dipstick. Cold, between full and add on dipstick. When changing with filter, add 2 and 1/2 qts. run till hot (ride it about thirty miles or minutes, don't just idle it) and top to full mark. Don't overfill or it will vent out your air cleaner.

Transmission, 22-24 oz. measured hot with bike standing straight up and dipstick resting on the threads, NOT screwed in.

Primary, drain plug is the allen bolt under the derby cover (big circle cover). Careful as there are several allen head bolts ,it is the rearmost one)with derby cover off, level should reach the bottom of the clutch basket and be just visible. This can be about 26 oz. but may be more IF the clutch doesn't drag from overfilling. Some use a quart and have no complaints, others like the lower level. Once the amount is established with viewing through the derby, in the future it can be drained and refilled through the primary chain inspection cover, eliminating the need to buy a new derby cover gasket or damaging the current one.

Oil is drained warm through the drainplug on the FAR RIGHT at the front of the oil pan (5/8ths bolt) Replace the rubberO ringif it looks deteriorated. Tighten 14-21 ftlbs. Don't overtighten or the O ring will crush and leak.

Replace the oil filter, watch to catch about a qtr. qt. of oil (some use a cut out soda bottle or milk container to funnel it) Add 2 and a half qts fresh oil as above.

Transmission drain plug is on the UNDERSIDE of the oil pan, toward the front opposite side of the oil plug. The plug with the allen head is a casting plug and SHOULD NOT BE REMOVED. As above, drain the trans. and refill with 22-24 Oz.

I would use either Redline 20/50 or 20/60 in the engine, Redline HD Shockproof in the transmission and Redline MTL in the primary.

However, Amsoil, Mobile one, Royal Purple etc. all make excellent full synthetic oils (I recommend full syn.). HD has SYN III but it is , IMHO, overpriced and the least high quality oil of the major syns available.

You can use plain old dino 10/30 or 10/40 in the primary or type F Auto trans fluid too.

I would change the engine oil at 5K intervals and the other fluids the same.

EZ

Old 11-17-2007, 09:37 AM
balvanzfamily
2nd Gear
Default RE: checking fluid levels

Just to add to what is said here: I have a good friend that is a Harley Mechanic in South Carolina. He says as you're waiting for the oil pan to drain and before you put the new oil filter on, take some of the oil that is intended for the oil pan and pour it directly into the oil filter to the top. Set it aside. After the draining of the pan is complete and you've reattach the drain plug bolt, the oil that you poured into the filter will be soaked up and won't pour out as you screw on the new filter. Then go ahead and add the rest of the oil onto the fill opening.

He says starting the enguine the first time with oil already in the filter will keep the motor from starving for oil as the filter already has some in it.

Even though this may sound a bit extreme or fishy, I'm doing it. That's just less oil I have to pour into the fill opening!