Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

how much oil goes in the Primary ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Mr.Dull
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much oil goes in the Primary ?

Hello,

06 Electra, manual says 32 oz which is 1 quart where I live. So I pulled the plug on the primary, let it drain then I go to fill it up. Manual says fill level with bike upright no higher than the spring on the clutch discs (has picture of the fluid in manual) I put in 1 quart (32 oz) cannot even see level so I put almost another quart in now that makes about 60oz according to my math. Says do not overfill or clutch will mis-behave. Took a 50 mile ride and so far so good.

Whats up with that ! thanks for your thoughts...... Judd

Old 10-07-2007, 06:48 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: how much oil goes in the Primary ?

It iis a common service mistake to underfill the primary,indeed sometimes forgetting to refill it all together.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:19 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

when I do the primary I usally put the bike on my lift, remove the derby an see where the level is at. then make a mark, then drain the oil. then fill it up to the mark I made and it usally is what the book says it should take. just about a half inch over the bottom of the clutch hub.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:21 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Regardless of whether you think just pouring 32 Oz. in through the inspection cover is OK(as I have for many years without a problem) OR you believe in adding a few more, SIXTY OZ. IS TOO F'n MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EZ

Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
mustasz
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree,60 oz is much too much,I put just bit less than 1 quart,and it runs OK,Mat

Old 10-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Mr.Dull
Intermediate

SIXTY OZ. IS TOO F'n MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EZ
---------------
I agree with that statement. What we have here is a varience. I put 32 oz in like the manual said and could not even see the oil let alone get a level on it. Were talking about a bike on a lift in a garage. It's no biggie, just trying to get some thoughts. If the clutch acts up then I'll know who's at fault and pull the plug. Plus if I try adjust the PC and oil comes out of the cover I can just let the oil level itself. BTW, after 5k what came out when I changed it looked like sheit

Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

From what I can tell and by what PROFESSIONAL HD mechanics have said, you should check the level ON THE SIDESTAND, not on a lift.

Many folks have discovered that much of the "clunk" they consider normal has disappeared when they have properly adjusted the clutch to eliminate mechanical drag AND properly set the fluid level to eliminate hydrolic drag on the clutch.

IF there is that big avariation on your bike's capacity from the norm, you should have it checked by a competent mechanic. Probably he will tell you that you are checking the level wrong or misunderstood the diagram as to where to measure it.

Hey, its YOUR bike and I have beencorrected by the Forum expert in an email about this before. I know he has lots of experience but so do I ( Harley ownerfor nearly forty years and do ALL my own maintenance, usually well)
AND a bunch of employed Harley Mechanics who do this for a living and have access to HD Engineers.

I have no problem with somebody using a couple/few extra oz. BUT nearly two quarts is looking for a problem, IMHO.

The condition of the primary oil is usually pretty funky looking at the first or second change. Most of the initial chain wearing in AND clutch dust makes for lots of muck in the unfiltered oil in the primary. Be more concerned about the metal on the magnet than the crap suspended in the oil. IMHO, primary oil is the one you should change most often AND just pouring a qt. through the inspection cover (not the Derby) pretty frequently is alot more effective than overfilling it at twice the interval I consider prudent. I change mine, using cheap dino or ATF , every 2500 miles or so. Still comes out cloudy BUT the magnet isn't so full of metal.

EZ

[IMG]local://upfiles/3789/3B5B225BE75E40CDB0B6CC373DD1AACC.gif[/IMG]

Old 10-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

From what I can tell and by what PROFESSIONAL HD mechanics have said, you should check the level ON THE SIDESTAND, not on a lift. HUH????? The primary is NEVER checked on the sidestand... it MUST be upright and level.... Please refer to the service manual, Maintenance section for a refresher on the correct level and how to achieve it. FWIW, there is even pictures for us DUMAZZ Tech's to understand.

Many folks have discovered that much of the "clunk" they consider normal has disappeared when they have properly adjusted the clutch to eliminate mechanical drag AND properly set the fluid level to eliminate hydrolic drag on the clutch. A properly adjusted PRIMARY CHAIN is also an important piece, to ensure a smooth shift from a cold driveline to a hot.

IF there is that big avariation on your bike's capacity from the norm, you should have it checked by a competent mechanic. Probably he will tell you that you are checking the level wrong or misunderstood the diagram as to where to measure it.

Hey, its YOUR bike and I have beencorrected by the Forum expert in an email about this before. I know he has lots of experience but so do I ( Harley ownerfor nearly forty years and do ALL my own maintenance, usually well)
AND a bunch of employed Harley Mechanics who do this for a living and have access to HD Engineers.

I have no problem with somebody using a couple/few extra oz. BUT nearly two quarts is looking for a problem, IMHO.

The condition of the primary oil is usually pretty funky looking at the first or second change. Most of the initial chain wearing in AND clutch dust makes for lots of muck in the unfiltered oil in the primary. Be more concerned about the metal on the magnet than the crap suspended in the oil. IMHO, primary oil is the one you should change most often AND just pouring a qt. through the inspection cover (not the Derby) pretty frequently is alot more effective than overfilling it at twice the interval I consider prudent. I change mine, using cheap dino or ATF , every 2500 miles or so. Still comes out cloudy BUT the magnet isn't so full of metal.

EZ

[IMG]local://upfiles/3789/3B5B225BE75E40CDB0B6CC373DD1AACC.gif[/IMG]

Old 10-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Makes sense to me Bob. If I pull the derby cover off my bike with it on the sidestand I end up with a puddle of primary oil on the floor. That tells me that to get the correct amount of oil in it needs to be upright.

CN

Old 10-10-2007, 08:25 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

I apologize for my brainfart regarding the primary oil check on the sidestand. Bob is , of course, correct and I will claim addled headed geezerdom for my bad statement. Mental wires crossed with checking the oil level for the crankcase.

Still think sixty oz. is far too much BUT hey, 32 works for me and I'm sticking with that. Must be a reason for the "Don't overfill" emphasis put in both manuals and , perhaps, they should add withinreason.

Again, sorry for the incorrect information. It should, indeed , be checked "upright".

EZ