Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:26 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil

has anyone used Valvoline 20W50 4 stroke dino oil. it seems to compare about the same as HD's 20W50 dino oil.
thanks

Old 12-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Jdartfordct
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil

Have not tried it.
I have learned to just use the Harley Oil. I tried the Mobil 1 V-Twin. All I could hear was tapping in the engine.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:33 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior

I used the Harley Dino 20W50 in my 92 Ultra Clasic. But made up my mind I am not supporting that little south of the border closet commie Chavass. I was going with the Mobil 1 V Twin but the nearest place to get it is 30 miles away. Yesterday went in to the NAPA store to see a friend who runs it and notice he had the Valvoline 4 stroke 20W50 dino oil. Asked him about it said he sells lots and most to the motorcycle shop (Harley) down the street. Well now I spent the night and today researching it. Seems to be just fine for the big v twins and is comparabe to HD's oil. Changed oil and filter earlier today. Bike is nice and quit oil pressure was up just a little. Going to run it for a while see how it does. I can get it for $4.00 a quart at that price I can change oil every 2000 miles if I want.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 PM
wildpig1ms
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you, I can't see supporting Chavez and think that H-D ought to cancel their contracts as well. After years of searching for the "best" oil, I've come to the conclusion that just about any 20w50 will workin an evolution engine - got Havoline in it right now (based on some very good oil analysis reports out of an Evo engine)...I even ran Rotella 15w40 last winter. I was running Amsoil in it and changing yearly but for no more than I ride and considering the cost, it's just as economical for me to change every 2500 miles/6 months with dino. Just started "purging" all the old oil out this year too...I had no idea I was leaving over a half a quart of old oil in every time I changed...sigh. BTW, I have a '97 RoadKing so it's easy with the Evo engine - just leave off the oil filter after you change the oil, thencrank it and let it idle until clean oil comes out, shut it off and put onthe oil filter and top up the oil tank.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:53 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

You can usually find Mobil-1 15w-50 syntheticin Walmart in 5 quart (silver top) jugs for about $23. Not much more than what you are paying for Dino. There's a bunch of people here using it if for no other reason than the ruduction in oil temps.

Here is a thread that might be of interest if you read through the comment posts reguarding auto vs V-twin oils. particularly Mobil-1.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1699086/tm.htm

Old 12-28-2007, 08:29 AM
madcritter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: cHarley

You can usually find Mobil-1 15w-50 https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=2636020
in Walmart in 5 quart (silver top) jugs for about $23. Not much more than what you are paying for Dino. There's a bunch of people here using it if for no other reason than the ruduction in oil temps.

Here is a thread that might be of interest if you read through the comment posts reguarding auto vs V-twin oils. particularly Mobil-1.
Another reason I went with the Val oil is it is dino oil not synthetic. I'm ridding a 92 Ultra Classic Tour Glide that runs like a charm with 36,000 miles on it. It has never had synthetic in the crank and am a little worried what it might do to the seals.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:44 AM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: madcritter

ORIGINAL: cHarley

You can usually find Mobil-1 15w-50 https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=2636020
in Walmart in 5 quart (silver top) jugs for about $23. Not much more than what you are paying for Dino. There's a bunch of people here using it if for no other reason than the ruduction in oil temps.

Another reason I went with the Val oil is it is dino oil not synthetic. I'm ridding a 92 Ultra Classic Tour Glide that runs like a charm with 36,000 miles on it. It has never had synthetic in the crank and am a little worried what it might do to the seals.
I'm not trying to convert you one way or another but 36,000 is not really high mileage in reguards to having seal problems if you convert to synthetic. Synthetic also does not harm the seals. What happens in real high mileage engines that convert to synthetic is that the syn. oil breaks down sludge and varvish that sometimes is keeping an already defective/ worn out gasket from leaking. Personally I would rather not have the buildup in the engine that comes with dino and if the gasket does leak when you switch to syn it's only because the seal was already shot and needs to be replaced anyway.

But do whatever you are comfortable with, it is Your bike and Your choice.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 AM
madcritter
Road Warrior

It's not going to take much to convince me to switch. I have done so much reasearch the past several days it's running out my ears. What I am seeing is that the older seals whensynthetic was first being used did cause problems. With the newer seals and improvments to the synthetic it seems to be much less of a problem. Unless there is all ready a problem with a seal. The local NAPA has Mobil-1 15w-50 synthetic(his price/ My price). Just one more thing over on the "what oil do you use" pollit showsMobil 1 20/50 gold cap .is this an either or ?
thanks for your time.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:03 AM
madcritter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: wildpig1ms

I'm with you, I can't see supporting Chavez and think that H-D ought to cancel their contracts as well. After years of searching for the "best" oil, I've come to the conclusion that just about any 20w50 will workin an evolution engine - got Havoline in it right now (based on some very good oil analysis reports out of an Evo engine)...I even ran Rotella 15w40 last winter. I was running Amsoil in it and changing yearly but for no more than I ride and considering the cost, it's just as economical for me to change every 2500 miles/6 months with dino. Just started "purging" all the old oil out this year too...I had no idea I was leaving over a half a quart of old oil in every time I changed...sigh. BTW, I have a '97 RoadKing so it's easy with the Evo engine - just leave off the oil filter after you change the oil, thencrank it and let it idle until clean oil comes out, shut it off and put onthe oil filter and top up the oil tank.
I'll probable do the purge when I switch to synthetic. I understand what you are saying about the 1/2qt. But I go by the dip stick on my bike. Books says 4qt with filter thats what I add. I check it hot and cold after the change. Had mycuriosityup so just went out and sat the bike up streight waited 30 min checked it and it is just below the upper full mark so I am fine with that.
thanks
Charles

Old 12-28-2007, 10:51 AM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: madcritter

It's not going to take much to convince me to switch. I have done so much reasearch the past several days it's running out my ears. What I am seeing is that the older seals whensynthetic was first being used did cause problems. With the newer seals and improvments to the synthetic it seems to be much less of a problem. Unless there is all ready a problem with a seal. The local NAPA has Mobil-1 15w-50 synthetic(his price/ My price). Just one more thing over on the "what oil do you use" pollit showsMobil 1 20/50 gold cap .is this an either or ?
thanks for your time.
Myself and a lot of other people here run the Mobil-1 15w-50, silver cap(car) oil. The formulation differences between it and the Mobil-1 V-Twin oil are pretty much insignificat for use in the engine. The only big difference is the price. Since I change oil every 3,000 miles I don't buy the "extended mileage" (gold cap) stuff either. Your oil filter isn't good for extended mileage use anyhow.

Quick Reply: Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil