Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Switched Amsoil to Mobil 1 , Interesting observation

Old 03-10-2009, 11:41 AM
budzilla
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Switched Amsoil to Mobil 1 , Interesting observation

I've been running Amsoil for years in everything . On new bikes , the factory crap gets dumped when I take delivery and the Amsoil goes in , same goes with used . I figured I'd try something else since the price has jumped to over $11.00 a quart for the Amsoil , must refined from GOLD . Went with Mobil 1 V Twin 20-50 at $8.00 a quart . Also quit using HD filters and went with Wicks #57348 chrome HD filters at half the price , $8.00 . I was impressed , no more valvetrain clatter ! I don't know if this a coincidence or not but I like it. I'm sticking with Amsoil gear in my tranny but switched over to Mobil 1 V-Twin in my primary , clutch was acting a little funny after 3 days and 1700 miles of torture . Only time will tell how that works out . Another note , installed a T/Max W/ Autotune , and all the weird noises from the engine area , which I thought was the 5th gear , straight cut gears and all in a 6 speed , went away , strange !!! Think I'll put a few thousand miles on this change and see what happens.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:07 PM
lanceropolis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let me know how the Tmax is working. I am just about at my 1k service, and I don't think I want to spend the money for stage one if I am just going to get the Tmax. I just want to hear some real world experiences with it first.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain

Was at the Portland Rod Show this weekend and the Amsoil dist. had a new price list with major price drops

Old 03-10-2009, 12:50 PM
budzilla
Cruiser

I wasted my money on a stage 1 download , mufflers and SE breather , and it did not work right . Spent some coin on a V&H Fuelpack , still not right . Bought the T/Max from Shooter64 on this forum . Motor sounds great , very healthy , no pinging , knocking , runs very well .

Last edited by budzilla; 03-11-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:26 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by budzilla
I've been running Amsoil for years in everything . On new bikes , the factory crap gets dumped when I take delivery and the Amsoil goes in , same goes with used . I figured I'd try something else since the price has jumped to over $11.00 a quart for the Amsoil , must refined from GOLD . Went with Mobil 1 V Twin 20-50 at $8.00 a quart . Also quit using HD filters and went with Wicks #57348 chrome HD filters at half the price , $8.00 . I was impressed , no more valvetrain clatter ! I don't know if this a coincidence or not but I like it. I'm sticking with Amsoil gear in my tranny but switched over to Mobil 1 V-Twin in my primary , clutch was acting a little funny after 3 days and 1700 miles of torture . Only time will tell how that works out . Another note , installed a T/Max W/ Autotune , and all the weird noises from the engine area , which I thought was the 5th gear , straight cut gears and all in a 6 speed , went away , strange !!! Think I'll put a few thousand miles on this change and see what happens.
Thanks for posting that. The first year my bike ran hot and clattered bad in fifth. Next season I started with a modded comp and the tmax. The clatter went away but wasn't sure if it was the comp mod or the tmax. Read several posts on a good tune will quiet the drivetrain down and eliminate that clatter. Maybe some truth to it. To me it was like night and day for transformation for cooler running, power, no more surging and quiet drive train.
Ron

Old 03-14-2009, 12:42 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

What,s t-max?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 PM
TxFDmike
6th Gear

A buddy of mine just told me tonight that a tech at the dealer told him Mobil makes HD's oil. Said he wasn't supposed to tell anyone, like as in losing his job, but he was cool with my friend. Said you're just paying for all the pretty art work on the label, but what comes out is same as Mobil 1 ( synthetic?).

Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 AM
lschultz
Road Master

A buddy told you huh? I don't think this is true.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:49 AM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that HD oil is produced by Citgo...I think there has been a post here about it.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by budzilla
I wasted my money on a stage 1 download , mufflers and SE breather , and it did not work right . Spent some coin on a V&H Fuelpack , still not right . Bought the T/Max from Shooter64 on this forum . Motor sounds great , very healthy , no pinging , knocking , runs very well .
Same here. I got mine from shooter also. I had a stage 1 on my bike with a power commander. The bike ran well. When I changed muy cams, I either had to get a dyno tune or try an autotuner. I got the tmax. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. My bike has never run this well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Switched Amsoil to Mobil 1 , Interesting observation