Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

oil leak air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
phatboy on a fatboy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil leak air cleaner

well i hate to say this but the next day i went on a 75 mile ride through the backroads instead of freeway riding and it blew oil again. so my next question is do i have to take the oil pump totaly off to check the check valve ball. in the meantime i will check all three oil hoses to make sure they are free and not cloged.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:23 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: phatboy on a fatboy

well i hate to say this but the next day i went on a 75 mile ride through the backroads instead of freeway riding and it blew oil again. so my next question is do i have to take the oil pump totaly off to check the check valve ball. in the meantime i will check all three oil hoses to make sure they are free and not cloged.
Your check valve is under the big slotted screw head on top of the oil pump. There are two. The one closest to the crankcase is the check valve. I know it is this way on the older EVO's and yours should be the same way. Get a new spring and ball as they are only a few bucks. But check all your oil lines (feed /return/vent) first.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:27 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Chambeaux

I have the same problem with my 04 Wide Glide. You just changed the oil filter and that corrected the problem? I'll try it but it doesn't make sense but the whole problem doesn't make sense to me. How does the oil reach by air filter??? Crazy.

Did you do anything else or just change the oil filter?
You have a TC engine and probably have too much oil in it and it is puking out the breather hose in the air cleaner. Get you bike up to operating temperature with a 30 minute ride. Shut it off and put n the jiffy stand. wait 4-5 minutes and check your oil. If it is overfull suck some out of the tank with a turkey baster until it is just below the full mark.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Chambeaux
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 92 Posts

I'll give that a try but I really don't think I have too much oil in it. It would be great if that's it but when I check the oil with a cool engine the oil is near the bottom mark on the dipstick.

I do remember that last month when I changed my oil the parts department at HD told me that they no longer make the filter with the part number from my service manual and he sold me a different one that he assured me would replace it without problems.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:21 PM
phatboy on a fatboy
3rd Gear

i took the breather hose off that goes to the tank. be carefull with the harley clamps,i broke the nipple off.blew through the hose and felt like oil on top of the fitting in the tank.took the check valve ball out,cleaned it up looked ok no pitting. put it back together.cleaned the air cleaner again.cleaner still wet.i ran it for a wile in my garage got nice and warm, shut it off waited five min checked the oil again not even touching the stick. seamed to have more blowby on the front jug than the left.i will let you know what happens.thanks for your help ths is a start to knowing my bike better.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Well it could be the umbrella valves in your rocker boxes that are allowing oil to build up until it runs out the breather tube into your air cleaner. There are some breather extension check valves available on the market that some people claim cure this issue.I would ask your dealer and see if they have any experience with this issue. You may also consider finding an independent shop that does a lot of Evo work.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Chambeaux

I'll give that a try but I really don't think I have too much oil in it. It would be great if that's it but when I check the oil with a cool engine the oil is near the bottom mark on the dipstick.

I do remember that last month when I changed my oil the parts department at HD told me that they no longer make the filter with the part number from my service manual and he sold me a different one that he assured me would replace it without problems.
Check the oil hot after a 30 minute ride. But allow 4-5 minutes for the oil to return to the tank before you check it.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

Up until 1993, Harley didn't have this problem where the oil comes out of the air cleaner. Many EVO and Twin Cam engines have been plauged with this......usually though, the faster and harder one rides....the more oil comes out.

I suggest to let it vent to the atmosphere underneath the engine. OR
Purchase an aftermarket item (much like a PCV valve from a car) OR

I personally route mine into the aircleaner. I have a hose that runs from the carryover tube to the aircleaner. In that hose, there is a T-fitting installed. There is another hose running from the T-fitting. This hose has plug at the end of it and collect the oil. Now at every oil change, I check the hose and drain any excess oil.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 AM
1986FXST
Advanced

Mine is ran to a PCV valve but will cough up oil if the bike sits for 4 days or more.I thought about running it back to the air cleaner since the oil will have to travel further uphill, but it sounds like that doesn't matter. The T fitting sounds like a great idea!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Chambeaux
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 92 Posts

The more I research this the more common it seems.&amp\\;nbsp\\; If you ride hard and for long periods the breather just can’t filter out all the oil from the air being expelled.

Quick Reply: oil leak air cleaner