Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil drain plug/Trans drain plug 07 Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:10 AM
jbob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil drain plug/Trans drain plug 07 Bagger

I know I am leaving myself open for some shots on this one but I will ask anyway. I have bought the manual and another book on oil changes but I am still unclear on the oil drain and transmission drain plugs on the bottom of the engine. I see one 5/8 drain plug on the front left side of the oil pan and also a drain pug on the bottom right side of the oil pan. What is the difference for the two? I have this desire to change my oil because I am tired of being hammered by the dealer. Your help??

The following users liked this post:
Abraham (01-03-2022)
Old 11-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's like the 06, the front left is the motor oil. Rear right is tranny.

Abraham (01-03-2022)
Old 11-18-2008, 06:08 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jbob:

This comical image might help:

Name:  drain_holes_for_motorcycle_002.jpg
Views: 53334
Size:  61.4 KB

As you noticed the "mag plug" on the left side of the pan pointing forward is the oil drain. The right side plug pointing down is to drain the tranny.

On the '07 baggers, all three drain plugs (oil, tranny, & primary) are the same shape & size, and use the same o-ring. The primary drain is directly below the big round clutch cover that's partially hidden by the left rear passenger foot-rest.

The "primary (1 of 2)" and "crank" plugs in the photo above are not used during normal maintenance.

Hope this helps.

Abraham (01-03-2022)
Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh no...I'm still not sure which is which.........

Old 11-18-2008, 07:56 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jbob
I know I am leaving myself open for some shots on this one but I will ask anyway. I have bought the manual and another book on oil changes but I am still unclear on the oil drain and transmission drain plugs on the bottom of the engine. I see one 5/8 drain plug on the front left side of the oil pan and also a drain pug on the bottom right side of the oil pan. What is the difference for the two? I have this desire to change my oil because I am tired of being hammered by the dealer. Your help??
Congratulations! If you are the forgetful type take some of your wifes red fingernail polish and paint the drain plugs so you don't accidentally *** it up next time. Easy solution. Once you realize how much money you save and the additional benefit of being able to use premium oil and still save $$ you won't ever let anyone change your oil again. Just pay attention to torque specs, as some are inch lbs and some are ft lbs. I use the nm settings on my wrench because they don't change.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 PM
jbob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok Guys, mission accomplished. The picture was great, as it established what I imagined was the plugs for the various drains. After changing all the fluids in both bikes I don't know what the savings was, but after I got things rolling it wasn't that big of a job. Used Amsoil products which are a little pricey, but the other savings kind of offset that expense. Thanks again for your help!!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:03 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you did'nt save alot more buck's than that you better find a new place to find your oil.i can get mind cheaper than the dino oil at the dealer. and i use amsoil.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:34 PM
ahab211
Cruiser

i change mine using a pump through the filler tubes. No fuss, no muss. Excellant picture though!

Old 03-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Bob30247
Advanced
Default thanks

just what this dummy needed - it took me longer to find the damn thing than to change the oil.
I'd still be looking if not for this post.
thanks

Originally Posted by WVULTRA
jbob:

This comical image might help:

As you noticed the "mag plug" on the left side of the pan pointing forward is the oil drain. The right side plug pointing down is to drain the tranny.

On the '07 baggers, all three drain plugs (oil, tranny, & primary) are the same shape & size, and use the same o-ring. The primary drain is directly below the big round clutch cover that's partially hidden by the left rear passenger foot-rest.

The "primary (1 of 2)" and "crank" plugs in the photo above are not used during normal maintenance.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:09 AM
ultraherbie
Cruiser

I love that picture, used it when I changed my oil just to make sure I was removing the correct plug.

Quick Reply: Oil drain plug/Trans drain plug 07 Bagger