Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

oil change funnel

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 03:28 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil change funnel

I just let it drip back into the container till i'm done with servicing the bike,stuff a couple paper towels into the funnel and place it in a zip-lock bag,put it back in the cabinet. pretty simple and keeps the funnel clean between uses.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:05 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spray it with a little brake cleaner. Removes all the oil residue, and then the brake cleaner evaporates and leaves no residue.

What he said.

If you don't have brake cleaner carb cleaner will work as well.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:48 PM
dakotacrk
Advanced

what about gasoline?

Old 04-24-2006, 09:28 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dakotacrk

what about gasoline?
Only if you are smoking while doing so.[:-]

Old 04-25-2006, 05:34 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

That's great KB, but if your like me. You know, ultimatley concerned about deforestation and the ozone layer, you would know that each 52100 stainless steel funnel that you discard will be in our environment for the next 157,000,000 years. I use a much more environmentally friendly method. I collect spotted owl $#it and distill it at precisely 348* celsius for 27 hours. Once the solids are removed, I take the remaining liquid, one part Puruvian goat urine to three parts distilled spotted owl $#it and let that ferment for 90 days. I then chill the mixture to -23 kelvan for 48 hours. Once chilled, spin it in a high speed centrifugal liquid seperator for 10 minutes. Bada Bing! Dip your funnel immediatly into solution for 3.7 seconds. Discard unused portion according to EPA standard 4910.6 sub paragraph 00.864 adendum B2. We all need to be a little more aware of what we put in our environment.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

I only use a 52100 stainless steel funnel once then discard the soiled one. The new funnels I purchase are stored in a locked humidity and temperature controlled class100 clean room vault until ready for use. Any oil spilled on the floor of my garage is immediately removed with a 300F degree muratic acid wash and dried with a flame thrower and the exhaust gas from a General Electric CFM56 gas turbine engine that I converted into a leaf blower. I'm very serious about keeping the dirt away from my engine.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:21 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: sedbiker62

That's great KB, but if your like me. You know, ultimatley concerned about deforestation and the ozone layer, you would know that each 52100 stainless steel funnel that you discard will be in our environment for the next 157,000,000 years. I use a much more environmentally friendly method. I collect spotted owl $#it and distill it at precisely 348* celsius for 27 hours. Once the solids are removed, I take the remaining liquid, one part Puruvian goat urine to three parts distilled spotted owl $#it and let that ferment for 90 days. I then chill the mixture to -23 kelvan for 48 hours. Once chilled, spin it in a high speed centrifugal liquid seperator for 10 minutes. Bada Bing! Dip your funnel immediatly into solution for 3.7 seconds. Discard unused portion according to EPA standard 4910.6 sub paragraph 00.864 adendum B2. We all need to be a little more aware of what we put in our environment.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

I only use a 52100 stainless steel funnel once then discard the soiled one. The new funnels I purchase are stored in a locked humidity and temperature controlled class100 clean room vault until ready for use. Any oil spilled on the floor of my garage is immediately removed with a 300F degree muratic acid wash and dried with a flame thrower and the exhaust gas from a General Electric CFM56 gas turbine engine that I converted into a leaf blower. I'm very serious about keeping the dirt away from my engine.
Fine......but I really don't discard the SS 52100 funnels......I recently rented some smelting time on the old LTV Bessemer #2 Blast Furnace here at the Cleveland works and I heat the furnace to 2000F then add 47 tons of slag & coke bring that mixture to almost white heat then add the soiled funnels......let em get steamy hot (that's a technical term) then ladle off all the impurities and cast them into #27 SS torx screws for my primary cover. See...I'm no EPA nightmare

Old 04-26-2006, 12:09 AM
eg willy
Cruiser

How about paper funnels? Anyone use them? Where do you get them?

Old 04-26-2006, 12:49 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: eg *****

How about paper funnels? Anyone use them? Where do you get them?
Dude.....Honda people use paper funnels[:'(]

Old 04-26-2006, 01:42 AM
Rodent
Road Master

No cleaning required. The gas station where I fuel up has the paper funnels. Whenever I get gas I pick up a few funnels. They fold nice and small and you toss them out when you're done.
NO MUSS, NO FUSS.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:30 PM
NW FXSTS
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: sedbiker62

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Fine......but I really don't discard the SS 52100 funnels......I recently rented some smelting time on the old LTV Bessemer #2 Blast Furnace here at the Cleveland works and I heat the furnace to 2000F then add 47 tons of slag & coke bring that mixture to almost white heat then add the soiled funnels......let em get steamy hot (that's a technical term) then ladle off all the impurities and cast them into #27 SS torx screws for my primary cover. See...I'm no EPA nightmare
ROFLOL... You people are just sick... I bet you even recycle your old oil? I just pour mine in a salmon creek... lol

Quick Reply: oil change funnel