Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Red Line V-TWIN PRIMARY OIL VS ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:10 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Red Line V-TWIN PRIMARY OIL VS ?

Does anyone have experience with this pricey stuff? Claims:

Quieter operation
Balanced friction, less drag
Easier clutch operation
Dramatically reduces temps, prevents wear
Provides thicker oil film between chain and gears
Excellent seal compatibility
Improves power transfer
Can be changed less often than others

I know there are those that don't think you need any special oil in the primary but I would like to hear fr. anyone who has used this. I've changed a few stators and that oil really stinks when they go out.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:15 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LMAO. Beat me to it. After checking on the Ams vs Syn3 thread, and reading the Nitrogen vs Air thread, I thought we could use a fresh oil related topic. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just tried it for the first time and honestly, could not really tell a difference from the plain HD brand that my bike's previous owner ran in the primary.

I have actually read the HUNDREDs of pages in the OIL forum and understand that the primary merely/simply needs "splash" type of lubrication. So any oil (dino or synth, car or bike-specific) will do fine.

We spend a crapload without batting an eyelash on chrome doodads so I figure a few bucks more for the "health" of the bike is OK. So will continue to use this for the primary and also their V Twin for the tranny.

Last edited by kromdom; 04-23-2009 at 10:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
southerncannuck (06-26-2019)
Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run Redline in all 3 holes.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 AM
deluxe drew
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use it in my primary, and I also use their gear lube in my trans, and their 20w50 in the motor.

Umm, it's fluid? I really can't tell if its quieter, I didn't think the primary was noisy to begin with, trans is another story... What else, it has a unique smell, I think... Seems to be working just fine for me.

Redline PowerPack for Big Twins

I always just order that...

Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I ran Redline for the first 15k and my dealer did not have it up hear in PA so I said install SYN3, well I'm going back to Redline. I couldn't believe how much louder engine and trans are.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:59 AM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I changed to the RL Primary fluid at the 1000 mile service. Up to that point, I was pretty disappointed in the clutch performance. It seemed "grabby" if you will, and the friction zone was very small. It was more like an on/off switch. But I bought the RL V-twin Powerpack, and the difference in the clutch performance is pretty big. Immediately after putting in that stuff, my clutch engages more evenly and smoothly. And the friction zone seems to be a little bit bigger, which is a good thing when riding in traffic.

I don't know if the benefits that I experienced are propietary to Redline or not. I may have gotten the same results switching to a different dino or synthetic oil. But I do know that Redline Primary made a difference for my application.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 AM
bluedoghd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Great Oil

I just changed my trans out and put Redline V-Twin Trans w/ shockproof before we go to the Texas hill country for 2 wks. Rode about 50 miles yesterday and believe me it was no noise in shifting. Plan on changing to their primary oil when I get back. I will stay with Amsoil in the engine. I think you will like it if you try it. I had to order mine online and it was pricey, but what a difference, no more klunk when shifting.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I use all redline products. If you can find it somewhere besides the stealer the price is the same as other brands. I get mine at Summit Racing. Bike definitely runs quiter and smoother with redline.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gmc
Does anyone have experience with this pricey stuff? Claims:

Quieter operation
Balanced friction, less drag
Easier clutch operation
Dramatically reduces temps, prevents wear
Provides thicker oil film between chain and gears
Excellent seal compatibility
Improves power transfer
Can be changed less often than others

I know there are those that don't think you need any special oil in the primary but I would like to hear fr. anyone who has used this. I've changed a few stators and that oil really stinks when they go out.
This doesn't answer your question but that reads just like every info-pack I've ever seen for any type of oil.
JMO, but ATF is SO much cheaper and does everything the high priced stuff does (including HD's primary oil).

Quick Reply: Red Line V-TWIN PRIMARY OIL VS ?