Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil questions (imagine that)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 05:21 PM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil questions (imagine that)

I have an '06 deuce that I bought new last fall. I've had the 1K service done and the dealer put SYN-3 in all three holes. From reading through some of the posts here, I am starting to feel sick to my stomach. I think I am going to do my own fluid changes from now on and thought I would ask for recommendations / reasons. I am curious about oils/gear oils, what mileage intervals you all would suggest, ok to just replace the oil/gear oils w/something new when it's time? My bike has approximately 4,100 miles on it now.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Oil questions (imagine that)

My recommendation is that at 5000 miles or sooner, you put Redline 20W50 in the crankcase w/ a new K&N filter, Redline MTL in the primary, and Redline Shockproof Heavy in the transmission. You can get Redline from MyOilShop.com shipped (at reasonable cost) directly to your door. The K&N filter is either a KN-171B (black) or KN-171C (chrome). Just my opinions.

Some forum sponsor may also offer Red Line oils.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:31 PM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

Thanks OneBlackFly, do you know if I could just drain the SYN-3 from the crank, tranny, and primary and switch over to these fluids when I decide to do it?

Old 06-23-2006, 05:38 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

Yes, just drain, check o-rings and replace gaskets, then fill'er up! Nothing special needed.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:45 PM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

I guess I am worried about compatability probs. between SYN-3 and the new stuff? Should I have any concerns there?

Old 06-23-2006, 06:14 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member

None, just get SYN3 out soon. Again, my opinion from the many posts on this forum.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:51 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also sub either Mobil 1 V-twin or Amsoil 20W-50 for the primary and crankcase and Mobil 1 or Amsoil 75W-90 gear oil in the transmission if you don't want to wait on ordering the Redline products. I use Mobil 1 V-twin 20W-50 in my crankcase and primary and Redline Shockproof Heavy in the transmission. I change all the fluids and the oil filter every 2500 miles. That's probably too frequent, but it's my bike. I keep my vehicles for a long time so for me, it's good insurance. Oil is cheap, vehicles are expensive.

That said, I target the fluid changes at 2500 mile intervals, but if I run over a few hundred miles, I don't sweat it.

If you don't have the HD service manual for your bike, I'd suggest getting one. It's the best $50 you can spend on your bike. Also, watch Sears as they run their bike / ATV lift on sale for $70. It makes servicing and cleaning the bike much easier.

Good luck and congratulations on your Deuce. It's a great looking bike.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:20 PM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

Thanks oldgeezer (it sounds funny saying that to someone), I had in fact planned on purchasing a bike lift sometime soon and I bought the service manual, which I have used a bunch already, shortly after purchasing my bike. So it appears that it is cool to keep whatever synthetic oil I decide to use in the crank and primary, but need a gear oil for the tranny?

Old 06-23-2006, 07:54 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd use either 75W-90 synthetic gear oil or Redline Shockproof Heavy in the transmission. You are right, no compatibility problems with the oils. Enjoy the ride.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Longtimegone
Road Captain

Just FYI ... MyOilShop.com has been real quick with their shipments to me. http://www.myoilshop.com/index.html

Quick Reply: Oil questions (imagine that)