Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

oil level dropped over the winter???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 AM
dcdr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil level dropped over the winter???

hey guys,
before i put my crossbones away for the winter i changed the oil. i dont remember exactly how much oil it took but i know it was less than 3 qts, probably closer to 2. when i filled the oil tank it was at the FULL line. i started the bike, ran it for 20 seconds or so, then put it in the garage. yesterday when i checked the oil level it was WAY down in the tank. at first i freaked out thinking it must have somehow drained into my engine, but then i remembered it didnt take 3 qts and i figured the rest of that oil had just made its way through the lines and into the filter when i started it in the fall. does this sound right? would the amount of oil that goes through the lines and filter make the level in the tank drop from full to down at the bottom of the tank? or does this sound like somethings wrong? sorry for such a silly question, i've never changed the oil on a harley or done any other work on a harley for that matter.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Kagan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run the bike for a short ride to get it to operating temps. Let it sit a minute and check it again. Oil in "remote" oil tanks can sump. (Drain into the engine)

Old 03-12-2010, 07:30 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

As long as you have enough oil to register on the dipstick you are ok. Some oil may have drained into the sump over time but running the bike 20 seconds is not long enough for the oil to get hot and return to the tank. If there is oil showing on the dipstick right now take the bike for a 20 minute ride and let it get warmed up good then shut down and allow 4-5 minutes for the oil to return to the tank and check. If there is no oil on the dipstick then start the bike and let it run for 5 minutes in the driveway and then shutdown and allow 5 minutes for the oil to return and check it.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 AM
dcdr
Cruiser

there is no oil on the dipstick, the oil is pretty low in the tank. so running the bike for 5 minutes won't hurt the engine with so little oil in the tank?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you feel confident that you put oil in, it does not evaporate. If there is not a puddle under the bike it has to be somewhere. It sumped into the engine. Start the bike it will be pumped back to the tank. Could also spit out some and make a mess.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

at first i freaked out thinking it must have somehow drained into my engine
It did. (Very likely).

Old 03-12-2010, 10:09 AM
dcdr
Cruiser

is it normal for the oil to sump into the engine over a period of storage (over the winter) or is it most likely because i have a faulty part?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdr
is it normal for the oil to sump into the engine over a period of storage (over the winter) or is it most likely because i have a faulty part?
Pretty darn normal for the softails. Nothing to worry about.
Some do it more than others.

I've heard of guys over filling the tank because they were fooled by this.
always run your bike first, before looking for an accurate oil level. (Take a peek in the tank to make sure it ain't dry, but don't plan on getting an accurate measurement after the bike has sat a long time).

Old 03-12-2010, 12:29 PM
dcdr
Cruiser

thanks guys

Old 03-12-2010, 01:06 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdr
Unlike the olden days where a check valve was use to hold the oil back from draining the tank the newer tc models only use the tight clearances in the oil pump to do the same job. Some drain back more than others depending on the condition of the pump, but all softails will do it.
Ron

Quick Reply: oil level dropped over the winter???