Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

How do I Flush Out All The Oil In My Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Rockrspud
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lost1
Pull drain plug, take off old filter, put on new filter, replace drain plug, fill with oil, go riding. You're done in 20 minutes, but be warned- the engine will only last about 200,000 miles doing it this way.

The other way: buy scavenger kit for $100+, suck out old oil. Remove filter, pour several quarts of expensive $10/qt synthetic into oil bag, start engine and blow out that last 1/4 oz of old oil. Kick self in nuts for pumping $10 worth of expensive synthetic oil onto garage floor and all over shiny bike. Spend an hour & a half cleaning floor and bike, cursing self loudly for not using hose to catch oil in drain pan. Fill filter partially with new expensive oil, then hold filter horizontally and install. Curse self loudly for spilling another $3 worth of expensive oil onto garage floor and front of bike. Spend another 20 minutes cleaning up mess. Kick self in nuts again for making same mistake twice. Tighten filter per spec. Reinstall drain plug, and add prescribed amount of oil. Go riding. Only took two & a half hours, two bruised *****, and your engine will no doubt thank you for all of its 200,003 mile life.

Bottom line I think your right man that is what to do....just change the frigg"n oil and filter start up the bike and ride
thank's

Old 04-21-2010, 06:03 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockrspud
Bottom line I think your right man that is what to do....just change the frigg"n oil and filter start up the bike and ride
thank's
+1 Exactly...if you are concerned...do 1 extra change....

Old 04-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had occasion to take the cam chest apart. Yesterday to put in Woods 400-6 cam and his lifters.
08 FLSTF pretty much modified with usual parts, 12000 miles on it. Always used Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Amsoil mostly. Used HD filter and changed oil the normal way.
Woods 7H cam with his valve springs. All this installed at 1000 miles a couple of years ago.

I found,
very little wear on the cam chain tensioner rubbing blocks. Finger could barely feel them anyway.
no debri of any kind in the little screen going to the counterbalancers oil system. Not a thing.
no wear on the cams or any wearing point.
Cam suport plate cam bearing area no wear.
Crank pionion bushion no wear. Which I was real happy to see. Could still see the original factory machine marks.

Just drain the oil, change the filter, put in good oil and good to go.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 04-22-2010 at 08:37 AM.