Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Overfilling oil

Old 11-01-2006, 12:49 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Overfilling oil

You did not hurt the motor......but the guy riding behind you might be really pissed off........you will know for certain if a large angry oil covered man starts beating the crap out of you at a traffic light........

The following users liked this post:
JB B (04-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2006, 12:53 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No worries, my bike always lets me know if I am overfilled with a nice oil spot under the swingarm just in from of the rear tire. This happens to be right below the vent hose. Just extract some oil with a turkey baster and you are good to go.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:48 AM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All responses encouraging you are right on. Also take into considersation that your motor will continue to get noisier all the way to around 5-7K miles. Just the way it is..........

Old 11-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 quarts and no more in my heritage classic sodtail 02.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:53 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you overfill a touring bike, it will launch the oil cap at an unsuspecting rider next to you causing tremendous excitement and large amounts of oil to be deposited, not only on the overfilled bike, but also on the oil cap dodging bike next to you. Not that I have actually experienced this or anything.....[:'(]

nogood o~`o

Old 11-11-2006, 08:46 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah......do you want your bike puking oil on this guy?.......

ORIGINAL: wnogood

If you overfill a touring bike, it will launch the oil cap at an unsuspecting rider next to you causing tremendous excitement and large amounts of oil to be deposited, not only on the overfilled bike, but also on the oil cap dodging bike next to you. Not that I have actually experienced this or anything.....[:'(]

nogood o~`o

Old 11-14-2006, 01:58 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

'06 Low Rider. 1700 miles. I casually checked my oil the other morning just because I didn't have anything else to do. I confess that I am more of a cut the switch on check the gas level and ride kind of person. The bike had been sitting all night and was on the jiffy stand. Imaging my surprise that the oil level was at full HOT. I chased down a clean rag, cleaned the dipstick and checked it again. Full HOT was the reading again. I had the dealer do the 1000 mile thing a couple of weeks ago. You would expect that the expert on Harley's would know how much oil to put in their own product. Sheese. I wonder about those guys. I feel like calling them and asking them what would happen if I overfilled the engine with oil and see what they say. Then, if they predict doom and gloom, tell them that that is exactly what they did and are they going to fix my bike if it breaks. Just to put a little aggravation on them for fun.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:03 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WARG

No worries, my bike always lets me know if I am overfilled with a nice oil spot under the swingarm just in from of the rear tire. This happens to be right below the vent hose.
Yeah that's a comforting thought... just dump that oil all over my rear tire and watch me fly...

Old 12-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

"The fear of overfilling a crankcase is derived from the "wet sump" motor (your car). When you overfill a "wet sump", the engine crank can turn in the oil causing it to froth (aerate). This introduction of air into the oil dramatically reduces is lubrication and cooling capabilities. The crank turning in oil increases drag and lowers effeciency.
Your Harley is a dry sump! Oil is contained in a seperate tank and pumped through the motor and back to the tank. The tank is vented to prevent vapor lock. Worse thing that can happen overfilling is puking oil out the vent."

__________________________________________________ _____

Sorry if this is a silly question - I'm totally new to H-D's so bear with me... I know alot of the H-D models have that noticeable oil tank on the right side, but on my '05 Electra Glide either it's not the same or it's hidden behind that right sdie panel. I have a feeling it's not the same from looking at it but wouldappreciate clarification here...

Old 01-07-2007, 12:59 PM
RMBob
Cruiser

I just had my 06 dyna Street Bob's 1000 mile service the other day and noticed that when I took it to get gas the engine seemed to struggle turning over when I started it again. The battery was fully charged because I keep it on a tender.

I checkd my oil level the other day and it is way high when cold. It is over the top of the hot level when it is cold. I called the dealer and they said it is okay to ride and to bring it in and they would take out some of the oil.

I tried a turkey baster in the oil fill hole and could not get it to pull any oil out. Any suggestions on how to get the oil out so I don't have to spend a 1/2 day at the dealer. I don't want to loosen the drain plug, I would rather find a way to suck it out. Does anyone know if it makes a difference if the oil is cold or hot. I was thinking of running the engine to heat it up and try the turkey baster in the dip stick hole again. Also, can the overfilled oil make the engine hard to turn over?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overfilling oil