Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

heard something interesting from a royal purple guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 10:10 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heard something interesting from a royal purple guy

In my CCW class today was a guy wearing a Royal Purple t-shirt. On one of our breaks I got to talking with him and he said about 6 months ago the EPA changed the amounts allowed of the the top 2 ingredients in anti-wear packages that are added to oils (sulfur was one, can't remember the other). The reasoning was for emissions, which he said was bunk because the catalytic converter takes care of it. Basically, he said that the anti-wear packages in all API SM oils are reduced by 50% because of this. He also said that because of this Royal Purple is only producing API SL oil and will not produce API SM oil, and you won't be able to find anything but SM oil on the shelves anymore (besides Royal Purple). Another guy asked him about Mobil One and he said they are producing SM oil so their wear package is reduced. I'm not sure if he was blowing smoke or not, but he sure sounded like he knew what he was talking about and I got his card. Anyone else hear this before?

Old 12-10-2006, 11:39 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: heard something interesting from a royal purple guy

No BS......he is telling the truth. That's why you want to use a motorcycle rated synthetic oil like RP/Amsoil/Mobil1Vtwin or Redline. The EPA will keep going on this issue as well. If it were up to them you would be filling your crankcase with water........

Old 12-11-2006, 05:20 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other ingredient is Zinc. The problem with the higher levels of zinc and sulfer is that they can glog the cat, and keep it from working well. Of course, there is another side to the story.

First, the decrease is not really a problem unless you have a flat tappet cam, or run your oil for an extended period - like 7,500-10,000 miles. For older cars with flat tappet cams this is a real problem; especially during break in.

Second, I think that decrease only affects the lower viscosity oils, like 5W-30 and 0W-20. I don't think the rules changed for oils like 20W-50. Not sure where 10W-40 falls in all this.

All in all, I don't think it's an issue for Harley owners.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:15 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

The other ingredient is Zinc. The problem with the higher levels of zinc and sulfer is that they can glog the cat, and keep it from working well. Of course, there is another side to the story.

First, the decrease is not really a problem unless you have a flat tappet cam, or run your oil for an extended period - like 7,500-10,000 miles. For older cars with flat tappet cams this is a real problem; especially during break in.

Second, I think that decrease only affects the lower viscosity oils, like 5W-30 and 0W-20. I don't think the rules changed for oils like 20W-50. Not sure where 10W-40 falls in all this.

All in all, I don't think it's an issue for Harley owners.
That tallies with what I heard, too - doesn't apply to 20w-50, 15w-50, & 10w-40.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:01 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I heard the zinc rots out your chrome too..........

Old 12-12-2006, 06:55 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reduction in Zinc amounts have led many automotive cams not to live very long,esp in higher performance vehicles.Many have gone to additives still avavilable such as E.O.S which is a GM sold product.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:37 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pittguy

The reduction in Zinc amounts have led many automotive cams not to live very long,esp in higher performance vehicles.Many have gone to additives still avavilable such as E.O.S which is a GM sold product.
Only in engines with flat tappet cams. Does not affect engines with roller cams or roller followers. Although long term cam lobe and lifter wear is somewhat of an issue, the real problem is in break in. Many many reports of cams being wiped in the first 30 minutes. That's an expensive PITA. It's such a problem that Crane Cams published a bullitin about it. Crane Cams Although it's published by Crane, it applies to all flat tappet cams.

Fortunatly, there are a number of additives available to add that extra zinc for those engines (like my '66 Mustang). The GM part mentioned above, Comp Cams, and some other lesser known brands. I heard a rumor that STP oil treatment is very high in zinc, but don't know if that's true.

Diesel oils are also high in zinc. So if you need a 5W-30 for your old Mustang or Camero, get diesel.

The important point, here, is this. It doesn't apply to a Harley. It's a non-issue. Don't worry about.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When will the EPA ever stop???

[sm=wtf.gif]