Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

2000 Harley Sportster XL1200C spitting oil out of breather tube [Pictures]

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Delii Mon'Delii
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paolotvl
having the same problem with a 1998 sportster. The only possible cause is a crancase bearing seal at the crancase allowing pressure from the engine into the primary case. Check if, with the engine running, you can feel air being pushed out of the vent. If that is the case, you need to replace that seal. I'm current troubleshooting the same issue...
WHat was your solution please?

Old 08-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Gersonic
Stage II
Default Blowback from the vent under the seat of the HD Sportster model pissing people off behind ya…

Cure: The hose under the seat in question is coming directly from the primary. It's the breather… HD had a recall for certain years. I have a 2001 that had that same issue.

Here is the cure:
A. The hose “must” be formulated/bent in a “?” question mark shape to prevent that blowback from the primary. The hose might in fact need to be swapped out so that it’s longer to do this…

B. You can easily mount a catch tank. You can make one or purchase one on eBay. You’ll want the hose to go from the primary breather directly to the catch tank. The only thing other than that is figuring out how to mount the catch tank on the Sportster…

No more blow back from that vent!

Mystery solved…
May I say, I am an engineering genius. I don't care what they say… lol
da Gweeds

Old 08-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Gersonic
Stage II

Cure: The hose under the seat in question is coming directly from the primary. It's the breather… HD had a recall for certain years. I have a 2001 that had that same issue.

Here is the cure:
A. The hose “must” be formulated/bent in a “?” question mark shape to prevent that blowback from the primary. The hose might in fact need to be swapped out so that it’s longer to do this…

B. You can easily mount a catch tank. You can make one or purchase one on eBay. You’ll want the hose to go from the primary breather directly to the catch tank. The only thing other than that is figuring out how to mount the catch tank on the Sportster…

No more blow back from that vent!

Mystery solved…
May I say, I am an engineering genius. I don't care what they say… lol
da Gweeds

Old 08-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Delii Mon'Delii
5th Gear
Default Update

You can bend that hose into any shape you want but the problem was a failed seal. Allowing oil to fill the primary and be pumped straight out of the hose.
Fyi I tryed the catch can idea before. So much oil was pushed out it filled the can and began traveling out and up my clutch cable.
So ya, no.
No more leak. Thanks for all the input!

Old 04-17-2021, 08:16 PM
Medianoche
Stage I

Originally Posted by Delii Mon'Delii
You can bend that hose into any shape you want but the problem was a failed seal. Allowing oil to fill the primary and be pumped straight out of the hose.
Fyi I tryed the catch can idea before. So much oil was pushed out it filled the can and began traveling out and up my clutch cable.
So ya, no.
No more leak. Thanks for all the input!
Hi, I have the same problem. You could identify the seal that you changed in some plane. Or do you have photos? tanke.