Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil 1 V Twin
28.67%
Mobil 1 20/50 gold cap
4.45%
Redline
7.14%
Royal purple
4.22%
Rev tech
1.02%
Bel Ray
0.66%
HD 360
9.32%
Syn 3
16.64%
Amsoil
27.49%
Dynacycle
0.39%
Voters: 6847. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 02:06 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I bet he means any BRAND NAME oil.
I wouldn't use Billy Bobs or any questionable oil unless it was the last oil on earth. Some of this cheap oil is reconstituted used oil or almost no additives in it. It seems like every month someone else comes out with their own oil (rebranded of course by someone else). Isn't there enough brands of oil to actually need another brand??? If the majority buy Mobil/Amsoil/Syn3 does it even make sense to bring out your own oil?? Can they make any money after the big 3 get done with them??
I don't see any other oil being any better then the big 3 - unless they were a lot cheaper - which they're not.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:20 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
I bet he means any BRAND NAME oil.
I wouldn't use Billy Bobs or any questionable oil unless it was the last oil on earth. Some of this cheap oil is reconstituted used oil or almost no additives in it. It seems like every month someone else comes out with their own oil (rebranded of course by someone else). Isn't there enough brands of oil to actually need another brand??? If the majority buy Mobil/Amsoil/Syn3 does it even make sense to bring out your own oil?? Can they make any money after the big 3 get done with them??
I don't see any other oil being any better then the big 3 - unless they were a lot cheaper - which they're not.
Wwll I’d say Castrol’s got a seat at the table in this game , don’t you think ?.

Billy Bob oil co 🤣

Wiz

Old 11-23-2018, 05:04 PM
Archer915
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crap oil

[QUOTE=Wizardofaus;17844313]
Originally Posted by Archer915

Modern automotive oil?
Hope ya don’t include this crap !!!!

Gee Wiz 🙄
I think that’s the oil that James Bond used to squirt out the back of his car and make the bad guys crash!

Last edited by Archer915; 11-23-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-24-2018, 04:08 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

Wwll I’d say Castrol’s got a seat at the table in this game , don’t you think ?.

Billy Bob oil co 🤣

Wiz
I agree, along with Penzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline and maybe Red Line, Lucas, Royal Purple,

Do we really need oil from Motul, J&P Cycles, Super Tech, Fuchs, Bel Ray, Hero, Mag1, Morris Golden Film, Maxima, Kendal, Liquid Moly, Bikers Choice, Twin Power, S&S, Drag Specialties, etc. And don't forget all the bike mfg's have their own oil also. Can they actually sell enough to make money? I'd spend my money on the big 4 or 5 before any of these Johnny Come Lately's.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:19 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
I agree, along with Penzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline and maybe Red Line, Lucas, Royal Purple,

Do we really need oil from Motul, J&P Cycles, Super Tech, Fuchs, Bel Ray, Hero, Mag1, Morris Golden Film, Maxima, Kendal, Liquid Moly, Bikers Choice, Twin Power, S&S, Drag Specialties, etc. And don't forget all the bike mfg's have their own oil also. Can they actually sell enough to make money? I'd spend my money on the big 4 or 5 before any of these Johnny Come Lately's.
Well to be honest, I used to use the French brew ( Motul ) in my R6 Yam for as long as I can remember and never had anything close to valve noise, even at 10,000 Rpm and above. And shifted like butter no matter what I was doing.

This would be my second choice after Mobil 1

Wiz 🍺

Old 11-25-2018, 02:52 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by y22c
As an FYI, Diesel oils have also fallen to the low zinc levels sub 1K PPM.

Once again big brother is mandating this along with low sulfur fuel...all in the name of emissions.

Ken
========================================

Not all 15w-40 diesel oils zddp lvl's were reduced to unacceptable lvl for R*'s FT cams.

Chevron's std dino Delo 15w-40 Fleet & Diesel oil still has 1300m zddp which is acceptable for the R*'s Ft cams & lifters.

But i wouldnt run this more then 3k miles in hot summer heat because the zddp can be depleted/used up enough by 3k miles reducing it below the 1300ppm zddp it started out with new which isn't best for FT cams & for protection against scuffing scratching due to excessive heat.

Bottom line is with the good quality motorcycle specific oils on market today (M1 v-twin, Amsoil MCV & Spectro all motorcycle specific full syn 20w-50 grade that are properly designed & formulated for our old school large displacement air cooled v-twins running FT cams & lifters there is no reason to run automotive or truck fleet oil in the R* ,end opf story.

And any one of the 3 oils i mentioned above are avail in autotone/advanced auto/napa/Walmart/local motorcycle shop or online so you cant say you can find the oil because i have bought those oils in all those locations so know for a fact they stock,1,2 or in a few cases all 3 of those oils in one or more of those stores.

I see the m1 v-twin syn 20w-50 on sale 2x-3x yrly in autozone & advanced auto for $8.99qt which isn't bad at all & is when i stock up for future oil changes.

M1 syn 75w-90 works fine in the x-fer case on the R* too because that oil doesnt use the harsh high pressure additive past GL5 rated oil used top use so wont cause any damage to the R*'s x-fer case if it has any yellow metal metals(brass/copper) in it's design.

For additional protection you could also use m1 syn 75-140 syn gear oil in the R* x-fer case when traveling long distance (or often iun stop/go traffic) riding 2up with bags & bike fully loaded in summer heat.

FYI,yami rec's 80W gear oil for the x-fer case but straight 80w if hard to find which i have seen a few times in 80w-90 that i have also run in R* xfer case.

Of thread subject but still connected is the fact the R* motor runs hot esp in summer cond which is why i installed a Jag oil cooler with a thermostatically controlled elec cooling fan that can either come on at 180 or 190 deg f depending on your choice,i went with 180 deg.

When i am riding in summer heat and get into traffic and the cooling kicks on and i put my hand on exhaust side of the cooling fan its removing so much heat from the
oil it feels like its going to burn my hand and i cant hold there for any mo0re then a few second before i have to pull my hand back or it will get burned.

So i know the oil cooler is removing heat from the only the oil but the motor too because thats also parts of the oil job and the fan assist Jag oil cooler seems to do
a decent job of reducing oil & engine temp a bit even when in stop/go traffic with elec cooling fans running and when at faster cruise speed too.

No i might buy love jugs new twin " Mity Mite cooling fans " for HD's and fab a brkt to work on the R* which working collectively with the fan assite oil cooler will significantly
reduce engine & oil tempo in summer heat on the R* which will also reduce heat hitting the rider (me!/LOL!) too which is great!

I know 1st hand what running those 2 type cooling mods on a lrg aircooler v-twin bike does because i did it on my 09 HD which reduced oil temp approx 50deg f in summer heat that resulted in:

* NO MORE DETONATION/PINING
* LESS HEAT HITTING THE RIDERS
* THROTTLE RESPONSE REMAINS CRISP VS SOGGY FEELING WHEN IT USED TO RUN HOTTER
* MOTOR NOW RETAINS MOST OF THE PWR/TRQ IT ALWAYS LOST WHEN IT USED TO RUN HOTTER
* MOTOR MAINTAINS APPROX 8-10PSI HIGHER OIL PRESSURE @ IDLE & CRUISE VS 8-10PSI LOWER WHEN IT USED TO RUN HOTTER
* VALVE TRAIN (ESP LIFTERS) NOW REMAIN QUIET WHEN HOT VS WHEN THEY USED TO GET NOISIER WHEN IT USED TO RUN HOTTER
* HOT RESTARTS LIKE FOR EXAMPLE POST FUELING UP ARE EASIER & FASTER

HEAT IS A KILLER ON LRG DISP AIR COOLED V-TWIN BIKES and reducing the heat 50 deg f in summer heat like i did with the 2 cooling mods on my HD was the best money i spent for mods on that bike.

That's because it gave me multiple improvements in overall engine perf & rider comfort that i could feel & hear right off the bat post installing the 2 cooling mods being the Fan asist oil cooler & stand along twin cooling fans that mount on left side of motor targeting (aimed at) the upper portion of cyls & straight at the heads.

Happy motoring!

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 11-25-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:38 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

[QUOTE=Wizardofaus;17847321]

Well to be honest, I used to use the French brew ( Motul ) in my R6 Yam for as long as I can remember and never had anything close to valve noise, even at 10,000 Rpm and above. And shifted like butter no matter what I was doing.

This would be my second choice after Mobil 1

Wiz 🍺
[/QUOTE

Have you tried any of the above oils at all and if so how was the valve noise?

Old 11-29-2018, 03:15 PM
divco13
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anybody run ....

ROTELL T5 Synthetic Blend

883c sportster

I run this in my BBC 502 for 20 years. Bearings look like new. 42k miles Drive it like a rental car !

Old 12-17-2018, 12:14 PM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I ran for 10 years Mobil1 V-Twin Full Synthetic 20W-50 in my 2008 FLHR Road King engine with no issues and 57,000mi of faithful service. 7 months ago I purchased a 2016 FLHTK Ultra Limited with 1024mi on odometer. The first three engine oil changes were with the Mobil1. And did a 4,500mi out west on one of them. Decided I'm switching to Spectro Performance Oils in the engine this spring. Going to run the Heavy Duty Golden Semi-Synthetic 20W-50 since I'm water cooled. Almost $2 more a quart but no big deal. Have been using Spectro Heavy Duty Primary & 6-Speed Platnium in the tranny for years with great results.

Last edited by wagsrk08; 12-17-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:38 PM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
5 months ago I purchased a 2016 FLHTK Ultra Limited with 1024mi on odometer. The first three engine oil changes were with the Mobil1. And did a 4,500mi out west on one of them.
You've done 3 oil changes in 5 months?

Quick Reply: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike