Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil 1 V Twin
28.67%
Mobil 1 20/50 gold cap
4.45%
Redline
7.16%
Royal purple
4.22%
Rev tech
1.02%
Bel Ray
0.66%
HD 360
9.32%
Syn 3
16.63%
Amsoil
27.48%
Dynacycle
0.39%
Voters: 6848. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 12:19 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: What Brand Oil do you use in your bike

I believe you are correct .

Old 08-26-2005, 12:06 AM
DCRANER
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new 05 WG and plan on letting the dealer do the 1,000 mile service and do their SYN 3, in all 3 holes if they say so.

I will do this first for warranty issues, and second I feel SYN 3 is probably a "good" product.

I feel Mobil 1 V-Twin oil may be the best choice for the engine, and although I am not as informed as I would like, I get the feeling SYN 3 has certain additives which make it "useful" in all 3 holes. I am unsure if wet clutches really would like a true synthetic with super slippery components, and so on.

So, for now I will try SYN 3, don't imagine it not working well under normal circumstances.

Also, considering an engine oil cooler. After all, an air cooled engine probably benefits mostly from keeping heat down and oil temp. down. Motorcycle engines / drivetrains don't work hard like a big truck, etc. anyway. IMHO.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:36 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

You'd be much better off with a gear lube in the trans like mobil 1 - 75/90 or redline shockproof heavy. Syn 3 is too light for the trans and will not stand up well to the shear of the gears in there even though dealers will use it in there.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:49 AM
DCRANER
Tourer

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

You'd be much better off with a gear lube in the trans like mobil 1 - 75/90 or redline shockproof heavy. Syn 3 is too light for the trans and will not stand up well to the shear of the gears in there even though dealers will use it in there.
I sort of know that. I have a very good dealer, will they be open to doing a Mobil-1 75/90 in the trans., or do they insist on their stuff, even if it is dino 75/90?

Old 08-26-2005, 02:04 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

They'll put it in there for you if you bring it in there. Why not do it yourself? It's one bolt, the stuff pours out, you put the bolt back in. Take the dipstick off the top, put 20 oz in, check the level, tighten the cap and the drain plug down, and your done.

Mac

The following users liked this post:
620Jester (04-08-2022)
Old 08-26-2005, 10:33 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

ORIGINAL: DCRANER

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

I sort of know that. I have a very good dealer, will they be open to doing a Mobil-1 75/90 in the trans., or do they insist on their stuff, even if it is dino 75/90?
Whoever pays for the oil has the right to choose the type is the way I look at it.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:19 PM
bcrecca
Intermediate

x

Old 09-07-2005, 12:44 AM
ElectraGlideinBlue
Cruiser

I used Syn3 last oil change but am considering going back to regular 20-50. one question though I was told once I use a Syn oil not to change back???

Old 09-09-2005, 09:21 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

No problem at all going back to regular 20/50. They will mix with no problems.

Old 09-14-2005, 03:22 AM
Cptn.Murff
Stage III
Default RE: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Hey everyone, Great Forum! Tons of great information, lots experience and opinions…

You’ve convinced me to switch to synthetic lubricants. And wouldn’t you know it, as I searched around these small towns here up here in the southeast corner of Washington State, no one had Mobil 1 V-Twin oil or Redline shock proof heavy in stock! Then these dirty rotten little ######’s wanted an arm and a leg (too much money) to order in some.

But wait, I noticed that the local NAPA parts store had stocked AMSOIL products (because of the great number of Farmers in this area). What the heck, I thought, I might as well try this brand synthetic lubricants. I’ve read the propaganda on the AMSOIL web site before… ya know they say their synthetic oil is better than everyone else’s, and it all but makes you walk on water…. Yea, Yea, What ever…

So in following your suggestions I purchased some AMSOIL V-Twin 20W-50 motorcycle oil, as well as AMSOIL Server Gear 75W- 90 Extreme Pressure lube.

And Damm, you guys are right! These synthetic oils did just what you said they would do! Not only does my Road King Classic (engine) run quieter and cooler, but she (its transmission) shifts quieter and easier!

Three of my friends noticed the difference and now they also switched from HD Syn 3 to the AMSOIL synthetic oils. (Yes, I let them ride my bike. And No, I wouldn’t let them ride my Ol’ Lady. Even though some think it’s a trade off.)

Seriously Gentlemen, whether its AMSOIL or Mobil 1 or Redline or Royal Purple or what ever synthetic lubricants you prefer, just do it! Make the switch! For you won’t regret it.

Signed: Glad to have found this Forum and to have switched to true synthetic lubricants,

Respectfully Cptn.Murff

Quick Reply: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike