Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil 1 V Twin
28.67%
Mobil 1 20/50 gold cap
4.45%
Redline
7.14%
Royal purple
4.22%
Rev tech
1.02%
Bel Ray
0.66%
HD 360
9.32%
Syn 3
16.64%
Amsoil
27.49%
Dynacycle
0.39%
Voters: 6847. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Old 04-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
===========================

On a molecular lvl std dino does in fact have larger non uniform shaped molecules vs full syn oil that has smaller more even size molecules.

Thats why full syn has a tendency to leak a bit easier/more when used in older/high mile motors having worn shrunken seals & gaskets.

Thats where HIGH MILEAGE oil comes in because it has an additive that somewhat restores/rehydrates to expand a bit reducing & or in some cases stopping moderate to minor oil leaks esp when the oil leaks arent under oil pressure.

I used that oil in a 98 maxima i had with both valve covers slowly seeping oil (not huge leak) which stopped the leaks.

Drove the car 1.5-2yrs more with no more oil leaks and sold it avoing a pia valve cover gasket replacement on the car that would have involved removing the intake manifold etc being many hrs work i didnt have time to do.

For the same reason (smaller more evenly shaped molecules) is why older/high mile motors also have a tendency to use/burn more syn then std of same grade in same cond too.

scott
thx for the heads up mate

Old 04-12-2017, 08:30 AM
rchop
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being that I am a Amsoil dealer, that's all I use.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:39 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
thx for the heads up mate
===============

NP!

Glad to see the info was useful to you.

Scott

Old 04-12-2017, 09:08 PM
gwfrbns
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool What is the right oil?

First time poster here, looooooong time forum reader, user guy. Wow, 149 pages of religious affirmation at the alter of the petroleum gods. FYI, I'm on a 2005 Ultra. Pretty sure, yeah, air cooled. Little background, I drove a '73 Super Beetle sedan 113 from '78-93. Used Pennzoil 10w30 winter, Pennzoil 10w40 summer. Air cooled engine had 225K miles when I sold it. Had a '74 TX500, used 10w40 and...nothing happened. '79 KZ650....ditto. Wife has Rebel 250, 43K miles with Supertech 15w40 AND... well nothing happened. Runs flawlessly. I put Super Tech 20w50 in and the engine.... well.... nothing happened. Super tech 10w40 in primary and my clutch..... oh wait...nothing happened. Supertech 75w90 syn blend in tranny and it......shifts just fine. 41k on Ultra btw. I know, it's just a matter of time before a piston cuts loose and hits the bimbo in the 'Burb(SUV) next to me in the noggin while she blabs on the cellphone. Was just wondering if I should have used a different oil in the Beetle. Yes gentlemen, I'm real and not a troll. Your bike, your oil, your decision. Used to be ASE certified mechanic years ago. So what is the right oil to use in your bikes, cars, trucks, lawn mowers, etc? What does your owner's manual say? Oh, 10w40 doesn't have friction modifiers, won't fry clutch plates, ditto 15w40(diesel oil). This is what I have used, follow your owner's manual recommendations. AND, thanks to all on this forum, best one for Harley info. Many of you have saved my bank account several times over on baubles and widgets I otherwise would have bought! This was my first Harley.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:37 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I've been saying this until I was blue in the face. Even though I was an Amsoil dealer and like their product best, I've always said use any brand name oil and filter at the recommended intervals and you won't go wrong. I have NEVER heard of an engine failing due to correct oil changes.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Erbie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Papamte
TCSTD, I went on ahead and posted Mobil 1 V-twin instead of the Syn3 that is in my bike as I am going to the Mobil 1 at my next change. I don't like the Syn3 at all, and since I have used the Mobil 1 before I am going back.
I used Valvoline's dino moto oil in my 1100 Shadow because temperature wasn't an issue, and the dino oil worked just fine in it. My Ultra is a different story!

TCSTD, have you seen the new synthetic oil by Valvoline? I saw it in Autozone the other day, and they make it in 20w-50 and it is CF rated also. This may be another contender for us, and at $4.99 a quart the price is good too!
What is it about motorcycle oil, the BSA I had and the CB750's never said a thing about motorcycle oil, change it yes, motorcycle oil no, now all of a sudden you have to have oil with motorcycle written all over it?

Old 04-13-2017, 09:11 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Erbie
What is it about motorcycle oil, the BSA I had and the CB750's never said a thing about motorcycle oil, change it yes, motorcycle oil no, now all of a sudden you have to have oil with motorcycle written all over it?
==============================

" What is it about motorcycle oil, the BSA I had and the CB750's never said a thing about motorcycle oil "

Well you may not be aware by there's a good reason 35-40+ yrs ago motorcycle mfg's didnt state to run motorcycle specific motor oil.

That's because 35-40yrs ago most automotive motor oils mfg'd regardless of grade had a healthy anti wear/zddp lvl (esp for older flat tappet cam tech) required to protect air cooled motorcycle motors from gailing/scratching etc due to excessive heat along with them also having little to no friction modifiers in them too that arent always wet clutch friendly.

So there was no issue running automotive motor oil in motorcycle motors 35-40+ yrs ago which hasn't been the case for quite a few yrs.

Since approx 2005-2006 the anti wear agent /zddp lvl's had been reduced to lower lvls due to epa/Gov regs mandating to do so because it was causing emission issues prematurely fouling cat converters.

The zddp/anti wear agent lvl's were reduced from approx 1500-1600ppm on avg 35-40yrs ago to 800ppm on avg todays with a few automotive oils having 900-1k ppm zddp when air cooled bike motors do best with a min of 1300ppm zddp with best being in approx 1500-1800ppm range.

For example,mobil-1 20-50 v-twin syn oil has 1700ppm zddp & Amsoil MCV full syn 20-50 has 1400ppm zddp & spectro v-twin 20-50 has approx 1500ppm zddp.

So on avg todays automotive oils dont cut it wien it comes to best protecting HD's esp when they create extreem heat in summer cond.

But a few hi perf automotive oils like for ex valvoline's VR1 race oil that has 1400ppm zddp / anti wear agent lvl thats ok for an hd motor but not rec for extended use in vehicles with cat converter.

Todays Chevron delo 15w-40 still has 1300ppm zddp, but in late 2006 or early 2007 shells 15w-40 rotella was reduced form approx 1400-1500ppm zddp lvl to now approx 1100-1150ppm zddp (+ - 50-100ppm) being a bit on edge for best protecting air cooled bike motors in extreem heat cond vs a motorcycle specific oil that has the proper additive pkg containing a significantly higher 1400-1500-1700ppm zddp/anti wear agent lvl.

And another issue with todays oils is many of then do in fact have friction modifiers in them thats not always wet clutch friendly sometimes leading to premature clutch slippage and HD's have wet clutches.

It used to be that mostly lower viscosity fuel conserving oils (0w-20/5w-20/5w-30/10w-30) had friction modifiers but today many higher gade oils like 15w-40/20-50 also have friction modifiers in them too which i verified was the case speaking to oil engineer's @ mult oil mfg's.

In a nutshell those are the main reasons to run motorcycle specific oil in motorcycles and why i run (& rec) oil like for example Spectro mfg's thats specifically designed & formulated for lrg disp HD v-twins with the proper additive pkg with plenty of anti wear/zddp in it to better protect HD v-twins from excessive heat along with it also having quality base stock oil too.

If just gets me when i see quite a few people here in HDfroums that will argue all day posting in oil threads about how bike oil is nothing but hype and about making money when they are mistaken refusing to spend a few bucks more to get proper motorcycle specific motor oil with proper additive pkg to " BETTER PROTECT THEIR HD THAT COSTS WHAT,10K-15-20K BUCKS USED & 25K-30-35K + BUCKS NEW!"

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 07-19-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:08 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

2 thumbs up

That's when I switched to motorcycle specific oil - when the motorcycle friendly additives were taken out of automotive oil.

Last edited by GARY DYER; 04-14-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:06 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Erbie
Well im thinking that most car engines don't rev to 8-10-16 thousand I'm guessing they are product specific to that requirement of film strengths with out friction modifiers for same engine clutch oil combo's

Just my 2 cents
Colin

Old 04-26-2017, 07:32 AM
dynoflyer
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Castrol V-Twin 20-50 Full Synth

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike