Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil 1 V Twin
28.67%
Mobil 1 20/50 gold cap
4.45%
Redline
7.16%
Royal purple
4.22%
Rev tech
1.02%
Bel Ray
0.66%
HD 360
9.32%
Syn 3
16.63%
Amsoil
27.48%
Dynacycle
0.39%
Voters: 6848. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 12:48 AM
Bikerlife
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like Amsoil in my motor....however i do use Redline Shockproof in Transmission. I know a lot of people think Amsoil is hype but i have friends who are mechanics (including myself) who swear by Amsoil and use in ALL their motor driven everything....motorcycles, vehicles, chainsaws,weedeaters...etc.
So far this combination of two seperate oil companies has worked very well for me....and i average 15k+ miles a year on my Road Glide and do my oil changes in all 3 compartments every 3500 miles.....maybe overkill but my motor,tranny, clutch run smooth and dependable so far.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerlife
I really like Amsoil in my motor....however i do use Redline Shockproof in Transmission. I know a lot of people think Amsoil is hype but i have friends who are mechanics (including myself) who swear by Amsoil and use in ALL their motor driven everything....motorcycles, vehicles, chainsaws,weedeaters...etc.
So far this combination of two seperate oil companies has worked very well for me....and i average 15k+ miles a year on my Road Glide and do my oil changes in all 3 compartments every 3500 miles.....maybe overkill but my motor,tranny, clutch run smooth and dependable so far.
NEWS FLASH!! Doing a oil change in all three holes at 3500 miles with ANY oil, dino or synthetic, will have your motor running smooth and dependable. If it brings you peace of mind then carry on.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:03 AM
Bikerlife
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Qdog002
NEWS FLASH!! Doing a oil change in all three holes at 3500 miles with ANY oil, dino or synthetic, will have your motor running smooth and dependable. If it brings you peace of mind then carry on.
*NEWSFLASH?*....please 😐...i noticed a significant difference in brands before 20 miles.... each oil performed differently in motor, primary, transmission....for example...Syn 3 SUCKS....i have ran it....its horrible. I have put on about 100k miles in last 4 years on 2 different Harleys (Bagger/Softail) i DON'T "trailer" anything....except for a blown tire 3 different times. And let me add, 100k ridden fast & hard. How many single 1100 miles in one day have you done??
Anyway, i will go back to my "peace of mind".....

Old 04-30-2017, 07:30 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

With the technology that goes into making today`s motor oils, I highly doubt any damage will be oil related if changed out at every 3500 miles. You say you notice a difference before 20 miles? I`m calling BS on that statement.

The following users liked this post:
Deuuuce (01-08-2018)
Old 04-30-2017, 11:27 AM
Bikerlife
2nd Gear

With the technology that goes into making today`s motor oils, I highly doubt any damage will be oil related if changed out at every 3500 miles. You say you notice a difference before 20 miles? I`m calling BS on that statement.
"....i highly doubt".....in other words you have NOT a shred of evidence to your rebuttal. Call all the "BS" you want.....when you ride your bike more than 20 miles with 0% precipitation and a temp of less than 72 degrees and you also turn a wrench instead of taking your garage queen to the dealer.......respond to me.......until then, i WILL be riding.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:43 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Play nice!! It's just freaking oil!!

Old 04-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Well I'm thinking all oils ain't the same ,there are budget i.e. Cheap and the better brands like castrol shell and motal just to name a few.
But even cheap oil changed regularly is better than the best soup on the planet.
Always used motal in my R6 and Mobil 1 in the car changed 5000 kilometers in the car and 3k in the bike and never had one single problem. But being that Mobil has a v twin brew I'll be lookin at that after the first dealer service

Old 05-01-2017, 12:52 PM
ken mcduff
Road Warrior
Received 412 Likes on 256 Posts

Pennzoil 20/50.Does just as good as that high dollar she it.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:08 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Well I'm thinking all oils ain't the same ,there are budget i.e. Cheap and the better brands like castrol shell and motal just to name a few.
But even cheap oil changed regularly is better than the best soup on the planet.
Always used motal in my R6 and Mobil 1 in the car changed 5000 kilometers in the car and 3k in the bike and never had one single problem. But being that Mobil has a v twin brew I'll be lookin at that after the first dealer service
I've always said "Use any BRAND NAME oil" and you will be fine, but you are correct - using any (cheap) oil is better then nothing (but why use it when there are many good oils to choose from) - just change it often enough - and Don't Forget the FILTER.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You're correct, no damage with 3500 mile change outs. Even 5000+.

Originally Posted by Bikerlife
"....i highly doubt".....in other words you have NOT a shred of evidence to your rebuttal. Call all the "BS" you want.....when you ride your bike more than 20 miles with 0% precipitation and a temp of less than 72 degrees and you also turn a wrench instead of taking your garage queen to the dealer.......respond to me.......until then, i WILL be riding.
Michael Schumacher could tell a different viscosity in the rear differential. Unless you changed the viscosity, the only thing you can tell the difference in 20 miles is it's not up to temp or your prior oil was so dirty and broken down it wasn't doing the same job.

Originally Posted by ken mcduff
Pennzoil 20/50.Does just as good as that high dollar she it.
If it meets Harley specs, absolutely. I'm switching to their Pure Plus product line, no varnish buildup at all!

Quick Reply: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike