Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Why is there oil down the side of my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:06 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I don't have any experience with that. However, HD recommends straight 50 over 20-50, so it makes sense that when they recommend straight 60 that the straight 60 would be better than 10-60.

That said, you are not going to do any damage running the redline 10-60, but will probably get more carry-over (blow-by) with the 10-60 vs straight 60.

You don't need to trust me that this is what Harley says, just read your owners manual.

The high-cap oil pan has more space for the extra 1.5 quart...my guess is that since it is all about crankcase pressure, it is pressure neutral to add space for 1.5 quarts and add 1.5 quarts of oil.
Pretty much common sense, just follow the manual, but we get hung up on using 20w-50. Next summer it's 60wt for me.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by doc ock
Pretty much common sense, just follow the manual, but we get hung up on using 20w-50. Next summer it's 60wt for me.
Yeah, it does make a difference.

Last edited by DK Custom; 09-22-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:53 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Here is another good resource...

2012 Sporty manual online-

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...ER/file-7.comp

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-01-2015, 05:38 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

BTW, if you choose to continue feeding the hot, oil, oxygen depleted air into your air cleaner (and then the carb/throttle body and combustion chambers), not only will you experience a performance drop, it also reduces engine longevity and tune stability.

Take a look-

Old 01-03-2015, 08:22 PM
SKT
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A lot of great info here - thanks for sharing!

Old 01-04-2015, 11:07 AM
1harleyman
Advanced
Default piston build up question

so I've been following this post and have a question that maybe someone can answer. I've got about 40,000 on my FXSTC , been running a K&N filter with stock football, crankcase lines giong to back of filter. After this post I'm going to filter the lines into the atmosphere (you convinced me its better for the performance and engine). My question is. I've used seafoam in my cars to reduce the carbon build up has anyone done this with there harley? was thinking of using one of the vent tubes to filter to put the seafoam into the top of the motor for a good cleaning, like I put it in my cars thru the vacume line, does this make sence, or am i taking a chance on damage to the engine. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:23 AM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 1harleyman
so I've been following this post and have a question that maybe someone can answer. I've got about 40,000 on my FXSTC , been running a K&N filter with stock football, crankcase lines giong to back of filter. After this post I'm going to filter the lines into the atmosphere (you convinced me its better for the performance and engine). My question is. I've used seafoam in my cars to reduce the carbon build up has anyone done this with there harley? was thinking of using one of the vent tubes to filter to put the seafoam into the top of the motor for a good cleaning, like I put it in my cars thru the vacume line, does this make sence, or am i taking a chance on damage to the engine. Thanks for the info.

You don't want to do that...

Old 01-05-2015, 05:31 PM
1harleyman
Advanced
Default seafoam Question ,Reply to Sam D.

Why do I not want to use seafoam, and sorry it takes so long to reply , I'm on vacation in Europe, but checking into the site in my evenings.

Thanks for the reply

Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 AM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 1harleyman
Why do I not want to use seafoam, and sorry it takes so long to reply , I'm on vacation in Europe, but checking into the site in my evenings.

Thanks for the reply

All I meant was you don't want to put it into the Vent Tube, that will only put inside our rocker boxes...
You can use it in the gas tank so it goes into the cylinders to clean the build up of oil on the valves & pistons etc...

I've got 18K on my '13 Ultra and just altered my Stage 1 SE Backplate oil passages and vented the heads to an external filter. I didn't know it until I changed out the SE Stage 1 Filter for a K&N that the inside of it had oil pooled in it... the K&N breaths so much better that it let the oil drip out on the Cam cover...

I read on another thread some guys on here use a 50/50 mix of Seafoam & water in a spray bottle and spray it into their throttle body while keeping the rpms up around 2000 to clean the inside of the combustion chambers... Myself,,, as soon as riding season is back I'm going to add 1/4 can of Seafoam to my tank and run that.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:10 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by doc ock
Funny how this is brought up, I was just thinking about running 60wt in the summer here in Phoenix. I usually run 20-50 all year but thought it may be better to change when temps hit 100. May is when it starts to get hot and continues till late September.So I would change oil about every 6 months. What do you think about running redline 10w-60 or just straight 60wt?
I used to live in AJ and would run the 60wt all the time. Hell I live in Louisiana now and still run straight 60 all the time. My oil pressure drops back to 30 psi after about 5 minutes warm up, even when in the hi 40s.

Quick Reply: Why is there oil down the side of my bike?